Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Outlook won't save password

by goliardhk / September 27, 2005 3:27 PM PDT

Outlook forgets all my passwords after it is restarted, even though I've asked it to save them.

I'm running Outlook 2002 on Windows XP sp2 with all current updates. I haven't done anything to my system settings since Outlook was working fine.

I have checked out the relevant Microsoft KB article;en-us;290684and followed it. When I try to delete the user subkeys under the Protected Storage System Provider key I'm told "Error while deleting key".

I tried restarting in the Safe Mode but my computer now won't restart in the safe mode, it just goes for a full reboot. I tried to set it to reboot into Safe Mode using msconfig but it tells me I need to be an administrator.

I'm the only user of the computer. My account is an administrator account.

I tried deleting my email accounts in Outlook and rebuilding them, which didn't work. I deleted the profile, too, but that didn't work either.

All help and advice gratefully received.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Outlook won't save password
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Outlook won't save password
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by eddie11013 / September 28, 2005 2:37 AM PDT

Your link didn't work for me, I found this one,;EN-US;q264672, maybe its the same. Strange you can't go into safe mode. You clicked repeatedly on the F8 key when rebooting? There have been times when I had to do the process several times in order to get into safe mode. Hmmmm.

Collapse -
by Themisive / September 28, 2005 4:36 AM PDT

It will, but you have to make a seperate folder in the "Outlook Today [Personal Folders]", name it "Registrations" or some other name, set the AutoArchive properties to "Do not archive items in this folder", then save any registrations,passwords and the like in there.

You will have to do one thing though, remember to back up your e-mails regularly, that way at least you'll keep as much data as possible.

Collapse -
Mail passwords
by goliardhk / September 28, 2005 7:58 AM PDT

Sorry I wasn't clear: Outlook won't remember my POP mail passwords even thought I check the save password box.

Collapse -
Mail Passwords
by eddie11013 / September 29, 2005 1:27 AM PDT
In reply to: Mail passwords

Maybe Outlook Express is a little different but here are the instructions I used when I had the same problem. Open OE (outlook)- Tools - Accounts - Mail tab - Your default email account-Properties - Servers tab - Outgoing Mail Server - My server requires authentication, put a check in this box, click settings - click 'log on using', enter account name and password.
Good luck

Collapse -
outlook will not save password
by rmassic / September 10, 2006 12:05 AM PDT

im having the same problem with outlook 2003, i have uninstalled & reinstalled. have used the microsoft support suggestion #290864 was able to delete reg subkey, still no sucess.
used outlook express and it will save the password.I noticed they both use the protected storage system in windows.
have deleted account and reinstalled it.
I have tried to import the account from outlook express with no suces, makes me think it is a microsoft xp pro problem.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Collapse -
Re: outlook will not save password
by Tufenuf / September 10, 2006 12:29 AM PDT
Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?