Office & Productivity Software forum

General discussion

Outlook Won't Run After IE 7 Uninstall

by Jbon1 / May 3, 2007 9:47 AM PDT

I installed Internet Explorer 7 as a trial, but Outlook would not run so I uninstalled it. Now Outlook says I need Outlook Express 4.1 or higher to run. Outlook Express is installed and runs fine. I uninstalled Office, rebooted twice, reinstalled it, and Outlook still gives the same error message. I've looked at the Microsoft site and they only give suggestions for operating systems other than Windows XP. I've also tried repairing Office XP Pro, but it does not work either. I do not see Internet Explorer 6 in my add/remove choices. I've tried to reinstall Internet Explorer 6, but it says a later version is already installed and quits. I'll appreciate any advice.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Outlook Won't Run After IE 7 Uninstall
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Outlook Won't Run After IE 7 Uninstall
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Explain more please
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / May 3, 2007 11:25 PM PDT

There seems to be 2 problems here;

1] You cannot find/use Internet Explorer 6, and

2] You cannot use Outlook.

Is this correct? If not, please say which is wong.

1] You cannot find/use Internet Explorer 6.

What are you using now?

Is there a shortcut in your Start > All programs menu? If not;

Search your drive for iexplore.exe . If your Windows Explorer/Search window is not set up to show .exe files or hidden files, goto Tools > Folder options and in the View tab and select "Sgow hidden files and folders", and de-select "Hide extensions for known file types".

2] You cannot use Outlook.

it is strange that Outlook says you need Outlook Express 4.1 or higher to run. They, (Outlook and Outlook Express), are entirely different email software, despite their similar names. How do you get this message? Do you double click an icon on your desktop or somewhere else? If so, make sure the shortcut is an Outlook shortcut and not an Outlook Express shortcut, (right click the icon and select Properties). Make sure that the Outlook shortcut does not point to "msimn.exe"

Do you really want to use Outlook? Although many people do use it for personal use, it is generally email software used in business for Microsoft Exchange servers.

Mark

Collapse -
Outlook needs Outlook Express
by Jbon1 / May 4, 2007 4:56 AM PDT
In reply to: Explain more please

Hi,Mark,
Thanks so much for your reply. The error message is: "Cannot start Microsoft Outlook. Outlook requires Microsoft Outlook Express 4.01 or greater. You can install Outlook Express by running IE5Setup.exe from the IE5 folder located on your CD or through the Windows Update website."

Outlook Express is loaded and works fine. It is Outlook that will not open. I like Outlook because of the calendar, etc. I tried to reinstall Internet Explorer 6 so that Outlook Express would be reinstalled with it, but I got the error message that a later version of Internet Explorer is already installed and it quit. I've tried several times. Everything except Outlook seems to be fine.

Apparently, when I uninstalled the Internet Explorer 7 to go back to version 6, it did something to cause the problem. I should have known better!

Again, I appreciate your response.

Collapse -
No immediate solution, but
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / May 4, 2007 5:47 AM PDT

I found a number of similar articles in Google;
Cannot start Microsoft Outlook. Outlook requires Microsoft Outlook Express 4.01 or greater.

But it is strange. The two Microsoft Knowledge Based articles I read are about Windows 95 and 98, and this seems to be a problem where older versions of Outlook used files that were common with Outlook Express at the time.

What can you tell us about this computer, it's history. Is it a Windows 98 upgraded to XP? What version(s) of Microsoft Office?

I wonder if you might need to uninstall Outlook Express, reboot the computer and then re-install it.

Mark

Collapse -
Outlook needs outlook express 4.01
by kidvicious1973 / May 8, 2007 1:44 AM PDT

I have the same problem. Not sure when it started, but I have Out look express 6 installed. It works fine.

Collapse -
Time for a big leap back in time?
by Kees Bakker / May 8, 2007 7:47 AM PDT

System restore to before you installed IE7 should solve the problem.

Kees

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!