Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Outlook VS Outlook Express

by glb613 / May 2, 2006 9:28 PM PDT

I had the opportunity to buy Office 2003 and Office XP for a reduced price through work. I installed each on different computers and have a problem with the one using Office XP. After installing Office XP, I no longer have Outlook Express listed as an e-mail program through Internet Options. The program made Outlook my default e-mail program. While I don't mind Outlook and did configure it to work, I'd like the option of making Outlook Express my default program.

I did a search both at Microsoft.com and Google. I must not have worded the search properly because I didn't find a solution. I want to keep Office XP so changing to a different program is not an option. Has anyone else had this happen? Where you able to fix it? Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Outlook VS Outlook Express
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Outlook VS Outlook Express
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Try to look for the OE shortcut
by Gakada / May 3, 2006 2:40 AM PDT

on the Start, All programs...

when you found it .. double click .. then Make a Default email program..

Collapse -
That doesn't work
by glb613 / May 3, 2006 3:16 AM PDT

I tried that and it didn't work. I get the popup message about making Outlook Express my default mail program, I select yes and it still isn't. I think if I could get Outlook Express back on the program list(found in the control panel), I would be able to make it the default program. That is what I don't know how to do.

Collapse -
Gail, It's Not There At All???
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / May 3, 2006 3:52 AM PDT

I've got Office XP installed on a bunch of computers and have not had that problem...If you open the Control Panel, then double click on "Internet Options", then click on the "Programs" tab, can you click on the "drop down" arrow in the "E-mail" section and choose "Outlook Express". Outlook Express SHOULD be listed as one of the options in that section. If it is not listed in the drop down section, then you'll need to uninstall OE, then reinstall it..

Before uninstalling OE, make sure to create a copy of all your contacts, etc. Once that's done, then open the Control Panel, double click on the "Add/Remove Programs" icon, then click on the "Add/Remove Windows Components" section on the left side of the window. Once that loads, scroll down and UNCHECK the box next to OUtlook Express, then follow all of the prompts to uninstall the program. Restart the computer, then go back to the same section and RECHECK the Outlook Express box and reinstall the program.. You may need the Windows XP CD although usually it can be done without it..

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
You wrote:
by glb613 / May 3, 2006 4:28 AM PDT

"Outlook Express SHOULD be listed as one of the options in that section"

I know and it isn't. The computer with Office 2003 installed didn't have this happen. I'll try the uninstall and reinstall of OE and see if it works. Thanks.

Collapse -
registry method
by linkit / May 3, 2006 4:45 AM PDT
Collapse -
Thank you
by glb613 / May 3, 2006 6:11 AM PDT
In reply to: registry method

It worked.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Great! Good job on your part.
by linkit / May 3, 2006 10:53 AM PDT
In reply to: Thank you

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!