Office & Productivity Software forum

General discussion

outlook.pst could not be accessed

by framp / August 2, 2004 8:51 AM PDT

i'm running windows 98 and outlook 2000. when i open outlook 2000, it looks okay. for the first few seconds i can view/delete messages with no problems. but when the reminder windows open up, outlook displays an error message saying c:\windows\...\outlook.pst could not be accessed. from this point on, i can't check mail, delete messages, etc.

i ran microsoft's inbox repair tool (scanpst.exe), but it said it didn't find any errors in the pst file. the microsoft site says that if i was getting the 'could not access ...outlook.pst' message, and if scanpst.exe didn't find any errors, that i should run their 2gb pst truncation utility. however, the pst in question here is only 600mb.

has anybody else encountered this problem? any suggestions on how to proceed?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: outlook.pst could not be accessed
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: outlook.pst could not be accessed
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: outlook.pst could not be accessed
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 2, 2004 10:39 AM PDT

The last time I saw this, the .PST file was readonly. With Windows NT/2000/XP/2003, you would also check permissions and ownership.

Did you truncate that "c:\windows\...\outlook.pst" portion of the message? Remember that Outlook can put the .PST almost anywhere. Is it where it thinks it should be?

bob

Collapse -
by framp / August 3, 2004 1:57 AM PDT

hi bob -

yes, i did truncate the path. it is c:\windows\local settings\application data\microsoft\outlook\outlook.pst. i have not manually changed the path of the file.

and no, the file is not read only - the only attribute checked is archive.

if you have any other suggestions, please let me know. otherwise, do you know of any email programs that are resistant to corruption? i have found that both outlook express and outlook suffer corruptions when the dbx and pst files get large.

cheers,
f.

thank you for your suggestions. if you have any other ideas, please let me know.

Collapse -
Then ownership and permissions?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 3, 2004 3:14 AM PDT

NT/2000/XP/2003 have Access Control Lists (ACLs) to investigate.

If the drive is such, it's the security tab/button.

As to bulletproof email, I've killed them all or had people bring me the aftermath. What works is a backup plan so we can roll back a day.

Bob

Collapse -
by sabdhawkins / October 1, 2004 12:36 AM PDT

Can you give me the link to Microsoft's 2gb pst truncation utility? I cannot find it on their site.

Thanks!

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 1, 2004 1:20 AM PDT
Collapse -
by Kees Bakker / October 1, 2004 2:13 AM PDT

Tried to compact the database? That, in effect, creates a new one, and copies all the data. This would eliminate all causes coming from database corruption.

Kees

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.