There's some misunderstanding in your post:
1. It IS a new window, but it's minimized.
2. The setting you mean most probably defines what FF does if you click on a link in FF (but that might depend on add-ons you installed).
3. Outlook doesn't open the window, Firefox does
So the better way to state the problem is:
If I click on a link in the body of an email in Outlook Express, Firefox opens a minimized new window.
Things to try:
- Make Internet Explorer your default browser. What happens?
- Make Firefox your default browser again. What happens? Check it in two ways: (1) with Firefox not running, (2) with Firefox having a window open
- Also try to open a link from any other program than Firefox or Outlook (such as MS Word or Outlook Express). Does that work correctly?
- Check the command string for the open action of an url in Control Panel>Folder options>File types. Mine is "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" -requestPending -osint -url "%1" and it opens full screen. What's yours? I didn't check what -osint means, by the way.
You're not the only one with this problem, unless you're Josephus Flavius: http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.outlook.general&tid=fe51adc0-b992-4977-a4fa-7253772cdc96&cat=&lang=&cr=&sloc=&p=1
Maybe it's caused by a recent Firefox update? Or some other setting in some add-on you downloaded? See if running without any add-ons or other options from Firefox Safe Mode or deleting the localstore.rdf help to solve this: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Toolbar_customizations_reset_on_startup
An easier way for this might be to create a new Windows XP/Vista user account and see how that behaves. In a new account Firefox starts without add-ons and with any local settings default. That would certainly show it's some setting.
If everything failes, try specific Firefox forums. I suppose there is one on mozilla.org.
It should be possible to cure this. But I don't know how.
Outlook 2003. HP 2 gb RAM, 160 gb hard drive; xp
For some reason, when I am clicking on a URL contained within the body of an email, a window does not open on my desktop. Instead, it shows up as a tab at the bottom of my screen, and I have to click on it to open the window. It has never done this before; it's always opened a new window.
I checked FF, tools, tabs, and I have checked "new pages should be opened in a new window" so I know it is not my browser.