Question

Outlook is crashing when opening html over 100k

I have been on the phone with microsoft but no help. What should I do?

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Outlook is crashing when opening html over 100k
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Outlook is crashing when opening html over 100k
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
time to archive some messages?

One perennial problem with outlook has always been when the INBOX gets too full, over a certain size. Create some Archive folders and "move" messages there. Also Mail progams usually load the Inbox to RAM on opening, so having an large Inbox isn't the best approach. It should be just an inbox and not an archive or permanent storage place.

- Collapse -
No there has to be something else.

It is only when outlook is opening the 100k+ files that the crash takes place. Why is this? This only started one week ago.

- Collapse -
all such html files or one particular one?

Did you set Outlook to text only settings? Did you set a limit on file attachment sizes allowed? How much disk space is allowed for opening file attachments?

- Collapse -
still stumped

This problem has just started recently and I cannot account for it. Is there some way to reset outlook to default?

- Collapse -
the crashing not connected to size.

I thought the size mattered. It does not. some emails that are 32k are crashing and some that are 178k are not crashing.

- Collapse -
the program seems corrupted

back up your mail files and reinstall Outlook. If that's one you can remove in Add/Remove then use that to remove it, and then to add it back. You can then import your emails again.

- Collapse -
I would also suggest

you take a look at Thunderbird. I've used first Netscape and then Thunderbird for years and both were a lot more stable and easy to correct problems with than Outlook.

- Collapse -
crashing connected to amount of images html loading

It appears to be the amount of images and not the size that is causing the crashing. What do I do?

- Collapse -
damned if I know

just be sure you have it set for html mail and allow images. If that won't fix it, then you can continue to mess with it, or reinstall the system, do a system restore in hopes that fixes, or what I'd do is just get a different email program to use.

- Collapse -
Answer
No mention of OS, Outlook version etc.

Some addons can do that so here's my rundown.

1. Start Outlook in it's safe mode. NO! This has nothing to do with Windows safe mode. Re-test.
2. Be sure Outlook is all patched up. OL2003 without Office's SR3 patch will crash like that. Given how old this version is, calls to Microsoft may not find folk that knew this.

- Collapse -
office 2010

As I said this just started last week. Out of nowhere. I did all the standard updates.

CNET Forums

Forum Info