Office & Productivity Software forum

General discussion

Outlook in Office 2010

by DerfX / August 6, 2011 8:36 AM PDT

I noticed something in Outlook that I didn;t have in the earlier version I was using. I like to keep my inbox tidy and my junkmail folder emptied. So, I delete my emails as I read them or ove them to a different folder if I want to keep them. And I always do the "Empty Folder" for my junk mail folder after I take a quick glance to see if there is anything in there that I might want.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Outlook in Office 2010
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Outlook in Office 2010
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
IMAP?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / August 6, 2011 9:08 PM PDT
In reply to: Outlook in Office 2010

I'm floundering around in the dark here, so please take my post with a large portion of salt, and see what others have to say as well.

I assume that these emails that keep reappearing are the same ones? What I mean is, same date and time as the ones you have already deleted?

Try a test. pick one of these, and don't delete it. Does a duplicate appear the next day? If they are not identical, (same time and date), then it's the spammers sending you repeat emails.

Does this email account also have Web Access? Can you access this email account via a web browser? I use Thunderbird for my email management but my email account, provided by my ISP, also has web access. When I visit the web side of my account I can see loads of Spam emails that don't get downloaded to my computer. The ISP marks them as spam and places them in a Spam folder. But if they haven't done that for particular emails and it just sits in the Inbox, they may get downloaded again.

If that's the case with you, make sure proper message rules are set up in the web account to delete those Junk folders regularly, and also the Deleted folder.

Also, look up IMAP. I don't know much about it. Most email accounts are POP but some are IMAP and as I understand it, IMAP accounts duplicate everything in all folders when downloading to email software like Outlook or Thunderbird, etc.

It's all a bit thin I'm afraid, but I hope it helps.

Mark

Collapse -
Still working on it
by DerfX / August 6, 2011 10:33 PM PDT
In reply to: IMAP?

Thanks so very much for the reply. I am so very bad about not supplying enough information but it seems like I am adding too much when I type it in.

Collapse -
Make sure you check
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / August 6, 2011 10:41 PM PDT
In reply to: Still working on it

this account's web access settings.

Mark

Collapse -
???
by DerfX / August 6, 2011 11:48 PM PDT
In reply to: Make sure you check

I wish I knew exactly what you meant to look at.

Collapse -
Just as an experiment...
by DerfX / August 7, 2011 3:10 AM PDT

I had 23 pieces of junk mail i my junk mail folder. I hovered over the junk mail folder in the left pane and right-clicked it, then selected "Empty Folder". I got a popup saying something like, "are you sure you want to permanently delete all these items?" and I clicked "Yes". They all disappeared. I closed Outlook. I reopened Outlook, and they were all right back there. Everyone of them, listed exactly as they were before I deleted them.

Collapse -
still digging
by DerfX / August 7, 2011 7:35 PM PDT

I haven't given up because this is really irritating. I have been able to discover one possibly important detail. While the messages that reappear seem as though they are "not" resent by the sender, it does seem like they are being "refetched" from my mail server. And what's more, I think it is only one of my mail servers doing it.

Collapse -
I'm stumped.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / August 7, 2011 9:28 PM PDT
In reply to: still digging

You could try the 'switch flip' test.

In Outlook's settings, flip the switch that "Removes from the server". Change the setting, click APPLY/OK, then return to this setting and flip it back.

I notice your mention of syncing with your Blackberry. Anything there perhaps? I don't know how syncing works, but does this Blackberry download the same emails, and if so, does it have similar settings? This may be another avenue to research.

More information about duplicate emails in the link below;
http://www.howto-outlook.com/faq/duplicates.htm

Mark

Collapse -
Thanks Mark...
by DerfX / August 8, 2011 7:33 PM PDT
In reply to: I'm stumped.

I'll try that. I didn't think of that. This is one heck of a weird thing. I would call it a "problem" but all it entails is re-deleting the same stuff over and over again for a couple weeks. And since I am usually emptying my junk fold of new stuff anyway, there is actually no extra steps, clicks, or work involved there. But my [Inbox] is what's really weird. It's like stuff just won't go away.

Collapse -
Still being strange
by DerfX / August 13, 2011 4:40 AM PDT
In reply to: I'm stumped.

I tried setting it to save a couple on the server(s) and what's really weird is that it is happening with multiple email servers. This morning, my junk mail had to emails that I deleted a month ago. they don't "pop" right up but instead, it is like Outlook 2010 is downloading them from the servers again. But there shouldn't be a copy on the servers and we are talking at least three different mail servers here.

Collapse -
Just another thought
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / August 13, 2011 9:27 PM PDT
In reply to: Still being strange

and it looks like my final one, because like you I am stumped by this.

But here goes. Is there any chance that you have message rules set up that 'forwards' emails from one account to another? If so, there could be some sort of 'feedback loop', where emails are being sent from one server to another, then back again.

One more, but I have mentioned it before. Outlook settings. Did you know that each account will have its own settings? So check that the settings for each do not allow emails to be retained on each of the servers.

Mark

Collapse -
I think it's fixed
by DerfX / August 14, 2011 12:08 AM PDT
In reply to: Just another thought

It turns out that it wasn't (all) my email servers, but just one. And I reset it to save a copy and then again to not save a copy and I think it worked. I'll know for sure by tomorrow. But it's still weird how that happened.

Collapse -
(NT) Good and lets hope you have found it.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / August 14, 2011 4:58 AM PDT
In reply to: I think it's fixed
Collapse -
So far, so good
by DerfX / August 14, 2011 7:05 AM PDT

And thank you for your help and p<font size="3"><font face="Calibri">erseverance, and the idea about switching things on and off.<?xml:namespace prefix =" o" ns =" "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office"" /><o:p></o:p></font></font><font size="3" face="Times New Roman">
</font>

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.