HolidayBuyer's Guide

Office & Productivity Software forum

General discussion

Outlook & Groupwise

by Grape Gurl / April 1, 2004 3:26 AM PST

My school had us all install the new version of Groupwise on our computers. However, they failed to tell us that Outlook & Groupwise don't co-exist very well together. When I tried to open up Outlook, I got an error message: "Unable to open default email folders. An unexpected error has occurred. MAPI was unable to load the information service from gwmsp1.dll. Be sure the service is correctly installed and configured."
The tech came over to help and basically replaced my earthlink account info with my school email account info. I un-installed the Groupwise program, but continued to get the same error message.
This morning another tech person from my program suggested re-installing Office, which I did. now, when I try to open it, I get the same error message as above. When I click OK, I get a box that asks "Would you like to open your default File System folders instead?"
When i click "yes" to this, and go to click on my inbox, i get the same aforementioned error message.
Does anyone have suggestions? I would like to go back to my old settings...i can access Groupwise from my school's website. I am pretty bummed because all my contacts, calendar, and messages in my inbox seem to be gone.
Any help or suggestions you have would be appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Outlook & Groupwise
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Outlook & Groupwise
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Outlook & Groupwise
by Kees Bakker / April 1, 2004 4:02 AM PST
In reply to: Outlook & Groupwise

It looks like the installation of Groupwise 'told' Outlook to use an 'information service' from gwmsp1.dll (the gw obviously stands for Groupwise). And the uninstall didn't inform Outlook to go back to it's previous settings. Uninstalls tend to be incomplete.

It's quite possible that the information in the registry regarding this 'service' isn't touched by the uninstall of Outlook, being added later. So it happily pops up again after the reinstall. That's how things work.

Things to try:
1. You can configure Services in Outlook. So try to remove the groupwise service. If Groupwise didn't actually update or erase the standard services this might work.
2. If it doesn't work immediately: uninstall, run the appropiate Office eraser from Microsoft (see below) and reinstall.
3. If that doesn't help: uninstall, run the Office eraser, and delve into the registry with regedit to manually erase all traces linking Outlook to Groupwise. Be careful, and now how to backtrack in your OS (Win 98: scanreg /restore; XP: System Restore). Then reinstall.

Instructions and downloads for Office eraser can be found at:

Office 97:
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q176/8/23.ASP

Office 2000:
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q219/4/23.ASP

Finally:
If you happen to have Windows XP and were wise enough to set a System Restore point before installing Groupwise, you might be able to go back in time without all these troubles.

Hope this helps.

Kees

Collapse -
Re:Re:Outlook & Groupwise
by Grape Gurl / April 4, 2004 1:57 PM PDT
In reply to: Re:Outlook & Groupwise

Any advice on how to recover my old Outlook information (contacts, inbox, etc.)?

Collapse -
Import
by Kees Bakker / April 4, 2004 5:08 PM PDT

File>Import from the old pst-file. Which you've saved or backupped, of course.

Hope it works.

Kees

Collapse -
Restore point fixed GW-Outlook information service problem
by douglas429 / January 15, 2005 2:25 AM PST

I restored my XP Pro system to a date prior to the GroupWise installation and it successfully got ride of the Outlook Information service problems. Before this, I had uninstalled GroupWise and Office 2003 and reinstalled Office 2003, and the problem persisted. I even tried to fix the Office 2003 installation and it reported a successful fix, but the problem did not go away.

Collapse -
Childish answer
by hvass / May 10, 2006 12:18 PM PDT

Restore point? Travel back in time? Cheez, it's really easy.

Under Control Panel, Click on Mail, then Show Profiles button. Remove everything that's there. Now start outlook

Collapse -
That worked for me
by KL644 / January 9, 2007 11:06 AM PST
In reply to: Childish answer

This tip worked for me. After installing and removing Groupwise I got the same gpmsp1.dll error. Repairing and reinstalling Outlook did not help. I went to 'control panel', 'mail', and removed the Novell E-mail settings. After that, Outlook started without any problems.

Collapse -
Brilliant tip!
by lilruthc1985 / September 27, 2007 12:48 AM PDT
In reply to: That worked for me

This tip worked for me...thankyou so much! Agree with having to set up the account setting again but not a problem in the slightest!

Collapse -
My techs couldnt figure it oiut either!!
by JacquelineMW / December 20, 2009 5:51 AM PST
In reply to: That worked for me

Thanks so much for such a simple solution.

Collapse -
Credit where is due
by jrw2k / April 24, 2007 6:20 AM PDT

sanenazok answered this first.
Thank you sanenazok.

Collapse -
Messy forum...
by jrw2k / April 24, 2007 6:25 AM PDT
In reply to: Credit where is due

i take that back, checked dates...
Wolfy's had it.
I never liked this forum's style, kinda messy.

Collapse -
No need to actually delete anything...
by jhpiiiesq-18759681127619875199930666869971 / September 27, 2008 12:25 PM PDT

> Settings
> Control Panel
> Mail
> Show Profiles
> Under [Change "When starting Microsoft Office Outlook, Use this profile:]
> > Click [Always use this profile]
> > > Change drop-down box to [Outlook]
> Click [Apply]
> Click [OK]

You can click on [Prompt for a profile to be used] if you want to choose each time. Personally, I have my university mail automatically forward to my personal email account, and only turn on GWise when I need to.

Thank you for your time and attention.

Pax Tibi,

James H. Peterson III
Executive Director
Louisville Creative Centre, Inc.

Message was edited by admin, to remove signature link which is prohibited in these forums.

Collapse -
Outlook/GW conflict
by swales101 / February 1, 2010 7:23 AM PST

You're a genius - worked for me!

Collapse -
ANSWER TO: [Re: Outlook & Groupwise]
by bradswim99 / August 31, 2004 3:29 PM PDT

Hello Grape,

I've recently stumbled upon the same error. I had been using Groupwise Client for some years now and occasionally tried to migrate back to Outlook when I got ambitous. The latest attempt failed, after uninstalling it I received the error. I'd seen it before in years past but just got fed up with looking for answers so I just reinstalled the GW client and continued using it. HOWEVER, I FOUND A SOLUTION! After an exhaustive search it seemed to revolve around information service settings that remained resident after GW was removed (obviously). I first tried just deleting MAPI32.dll, didn't work. Then i discovered the setings were specific to Windows Messaging Subsystem. SO I dug around the registry for a couple hours tinkering with things and finally found the cure:

(this is specific to my box so export this first so you can replace it if incorrect)

############################

DELETE the hive/"Profile" of "Novell Default Settings" -

[HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-484763869-1336601894-725345543-1003\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows Messaging Subsystem\Profiles\Novell Default Settings]

############################

There were numerous keys in there, a few of which include references to GWMSP1.DLL, and the SERVICE provided.

Hope that helps, it worked for me and i did my searching!

-Brad

Collapse -
Re: Outlook & Groupwise
by wolf2fly / November 23, 2004 4:27 AM PST

Grape Gurl,
I stumbled upon your plea in a similar way; trying to look up the same error message. If you havent already figured it out, this is what got me past that error message.

Assuming you are running with Windows 2000 or Windows XP, if you go into the Control Panel, open the Mail icon (should be for Microsoft Office Profiles).
Under "Profiles" click "show profiles" You should see Outlook listed. You will probably also see "novell" listed as the default setting. Simply highlight "novell" and "remove", you may need to reboot. Then you should be able to launch Outlook w/no problem. I hope this helps you. You can also use a tool called "setupCA.exe" It is a tool used to clean up Groupwise uninstallations. You can just google "setupCA.exe" to find it.

Collapse -
Outlook & Groupwise
by tmccoll / April 21, 2005 3:55 PM PDT

All,

The "Control Panel -> Mail -> remove Novell profile" solution suggested by "wolf2fly" was by far the simplest sounding solution to my Outlook vs Groupwise problem, and it worked! In fact, it allowed me to solve the problem in less than a minute, without a reboot. Highly recommended for anyone else facing this cryptic error message.

Thanks for the help wolf2fly!

Collapse -
Simple fix, Thanks
by Rickyroe / May 11, 2005 12:48 AM PDT

Removing Groupwise worked great. Thanks again.

Collapse -
MAPI unable to load...gwmsp1.dll
by Kicks / June 13, 2005 3:34 AM PDT

Thank you WolftoFly and Andrea. Changing the setting in the control panel under mail did the trick. After 3 hours of searching, you made my day!!!!! Better than support at microsoft. Thanks again,

kicks aka Kim

Collapse -
GREAT FIX . . .worked for me!!!
by dubignon / October 19, 2006 7:27 AM PDT

This fix worked off the bat for me. Glad I didn't have to do system restore or dig through the sytem registry. Thanks Grape Gurl!!!

(just as a heads up - I did have to re-setup my e-mail accounts in Outlook)

Collapse -
-
by lilruthc1985 / September 27, 2007 12:51 AM PDT

As said above (replied to the wrong person by accident!) going to control panel - mail worked for me, had to set up the account in outlook again but it wasn't a problem!

Collapse -
Outlook and GW
by lostmetalchicken / January 31, 2005 3:57 AM PST

Hi there,

I'm trying to run outlook and GW on my box. We use GW at work, but I want to sync up my nokia phone. I have been told that if you run Outlook it will automatical jell with GW and you can sync.

This partially happends. My Calender works great and my contacts *almost* works. All the contact EXCEPT the address, City, State, ZIP block transfers. When I look in outlook it appears that the address is there, but if you click on it to edit it, it disappears. ie. It's in the main summary box, but when you click the "address" button, there is nothing in that edit box....

Have you seen this? Can you offer any help?

m

Collapse -
MAPI was unable to load the information service from gwmsp1.
by doctorbs / January 5, 2007 2:54 AM PST

I went to Mail in Control Panel and to Show Profiles. Then I removed the Novell Profile which was down at the bottom. The next time I booted, it did not error and went on into questions about whether I wanted to import my settings in Outlook Express or not.
After I went back to Outlook and then to Mail in the Control Panel Outlook was my only profile.
My problem was caused when I told Outlook to import Outlook Express settings then when it prompted me to ask if I wanted to import both accounts (I had two mail accounts in Outlook Express)
I cancelled thinking I would use a third account in Outlook. When I tried to open Outlook I got the above error. I wouldn't have remembered that the file was from a previous installation of Groupwise had it not been for the the other replys you got.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.