Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Outlook from Office 2000 has stopped working

by susien428 / March 15, 2008 2:41 AM PDT

It used to work fine but then it suddenly stopped. When I click on the icon on the desktop, it flashes for a mini-second and disappears. I really liked it better than Outlook Express which I am using now.
I have Windows XP- Home.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Outlook from Office 2000 has stopped working
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Outlook from Office 2000 has stopped working
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Here's the most common cause (read the link please)
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 15, 2008 3:26 AM PDT
Collapse -
Outlook fromOffice 2000 has stopped working
by susien428 / March 16, 2008 5:52 AM PDT

Thank you, Mr. Proffit. I backed up the registry and got partway to the proper spot in it but it became very complicated and non-understandable so I have quit and will have to be content with not having Outlook. Thanks anyway.

Collapse -
Then remove Outlook. But first...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 16, 2008 6:00 AM PDT

Backup your files. Here's how -> Type BACKUP OL2000 at google.com With that done you can wipe out Ol2000 and reinstall from scratch but skip that update.

However, Microsoft will issue you a proper key if you call in. They did for us.

Bob

Collapse -
Before "doing without" take a moment ...
by Edward ODaniel / March 16, 2008 6:10 AM PDT

and open the TaskManager. Look at the processes tab and see if you see Outlook.exe running. If you do click once on it then on the button to close it. now open Outlook again.

If you do not find Outlook.exe in the process list open a command prompt and in the command prompt window type path to ms office\outlook.exe /Safe then press the enter/return key.

here is a link to other possible switches to try:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;197180

I have seen outlook fail to close when closing it leaving an invisible window and outlook.exe running in the process list periodically since Outlook 98 and the above generally fixes the problem for a while (then you just repeat the fix).

Collapse -
before doing without
by susien428 / March 16, 2008 8:05 AM PDT

Thanks a lot but nothing seems to work and I have tried everything

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?