Try to repair Outlook Express. A Google search finds the following.
Maybe something there will work.
Best to you,
I have Outlook Express running under Windows XP. My internet connection is cable through Comcast.
Every time I load Outlook Express, a window pops up and I have to put in my password. A box just below this labeled 'remember password' is checked, but greyed out. How can I stop Outlook Express from continually asking for my password?
This is a new problem which I have encountered after having been hit by the Sasser worm. My computer came back from the repair shop with the system restored from the recovery discs with the majority of my information saved in a backup file so that all I had to do was reload my programs and put the information back into them. Everything else is working perfectly.
Here is what I have already tried:
1. I have 'remember password' checked in the 'server' tab of accounts.
2. I have backed off the password, retyped it then hit apply, it still will not stay.
3. I have gone into Internet Explorer, then Internet Options, then tools, then auto complete and cleared passwords and retyped everything back in, it still will not stay.
4. I have gone to the Microsoft help files and followed the procedures for modifying the registry contained at that site: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;264672&Product=oex I did everything exactly as described there, it still will not stay.
5. I have called Comcast (my ISP provider) they have no idea and suggest I contact Microsoft directly.
6. I have called the repair shop that restored my computer, they say I should not be using Outlook Express as it is not as secure as some others and were not able to help at all. They suggested possibly downloading Outlook Express again - but when I attempted that, Microsoft detected an 'already installed' version of OE on my computer and quit the installation.
As you can see, I have tried quite a few things - but nothing works, so I continue to 'log in' everytime I want to use my Outlook Express. Can anyone offer any help???