Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

Outlook Express Won't Remember Password

by mparegian / June 4, 2004 4:46 AM PDT

I have Outlook Express running under Windows XP. My internet connection is cable through Comcast.

Every time I load Outlook Express, a window pops up and I have to put in my password. A box just below this labeled 'remember password' is checked, but greyed out. How can I stop Outlook Express from continually asking for my password?

This is a new problem which I have encountered after having been hit by the Sasser worm. My computer came back from the repair shop with the system restored from the recovery discs with the majority of my information saved in a backup file so that all I had to do was reload my programs and put the information back into them. Everything else is working perfectly.

Here is what I have already tried:

1. I have 'remember password' checked in the 'server' tab of accounts.

2. I have backed off the password, retyped it then hit apply, it still will not stay.

3. I have gone into Internet Explorer, then Internet Options, then tools, then auto complete and cleared passwords and retyped everything back in, it still will not stay.

4. I have gone to the Microsoft help files and followed the procedures for modifying the registry contained at that site: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;264672&Product=oex I did everything exactly as described there, it still will not stay.

5. I have called Comcast (my ISP provider) they have no idea and suggest I contact Microsoft directly.

6. I have called the repair shop that restored my computer, they say I should not be using Outlook Express as it is not as secure as some others and were not able to help at all. They suggested possibly downloading Outlook Express again - but when I attempted that, Microsoft detected an 'already installed' version of OE on my computer and quit the installation.

As you can see, I have tried quite a few things - but nothing works, so I continue to 'log in' everytime I want to use my Outlook Express. Can anyone offer any help???

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Outlook Express Won't Remember Password
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Outlook Express Won't Remember Password
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Suggestion...
by glenn30 / June 4, 2004 5:02 AM PDT
Collapse -
Re:Outlook Express Won't Remember Password
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 4, 2004 5:14 AM PDT

While I agree that IE and OE are a security risk, it's the user's choice to make.

About your issue. If you did complete the procedure as noted in the KB Article move forward and...

1. Run Disk Cleanup. (Just to be sure it's not that.)
2. Run IEFIX and have that XP CD handy. Here's the URL -> http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/IEFIX.htm

Best of luck,

Bob

Collapse -
Here's the fix. . .
by Coryphaeus / June 7, 2004 12:00 AM PDT
Collapse -
Here's the fix. . .
by mparegian / June 7, 2004 1:14 AM PDT
In reply to: Here's the fix. . .

Thanks for your help, but like I mentioned in my question, I have already tried that fix - I followed their instructions perfectly and it did not help. The password still will not remain ???

Collapse -
Sorry, didn't see that. . .
by Coryphaeus / June 7, 2004 5:56 AM PDT
In reply to: Here's the fix. . .

Have you tried System Restore or sfc /scannow run from Start, Run?

Collapse -
Re: Outlook Express Won't Remember Password
by bencawood / November 15, 2004 7:44 AM PST

I have had the same problem, but by being extremely careful in following the fix that microsoft suggests (and you helpfully quoted) I have been able to stop the request for the email account password.

You could also try manually removing Outlook Express by following the instructions given by Microsoft here:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q263837

The link does relate to Windows 2000, however it did work for me in removing and reinstalling Outlook Express from XP as well, you just have to make the appropriate XP shifts where necessary.

Collapse -
Re: Outlook Express Won't Remember Password
by radioactive1 / November 24, 2004 3:29 PM PST

It sounds like the message you are getting is an indication that somewhere along the line the password that enables you to logon to Comcast has been deleted or corrupted.

Have you made any changes to Express lately, such as adding new accounts?

In any case, try this:

Click on Tools, then select Accounts

From the Internet Accounts window, click on the Mail tab and then select Properties and click on the Servers tab.....this is where you already entered your account name and the password....

Now note at the bottom of this box is a checkbox that says "Outgoing Mail Server" and "My Server Requires Authentication". Make sure you check this box and then click on "Settings". Click the radio button that says "Log on Using" and then enter your Account Name and Password.

This should solve your problem.

Regards,

RadioActive1

Collapse -
Your problem with outlook password
by igorsmith / December 14, 2004 1:26 PM PST

Hi;

Did you solve it?

I?m with the same problem.

If you can help me I?ll apreciate

Igor

Collapse -
Outlook won't remember password
by dcat / March 17, 2005 9:23 PM PST

Hi, I have the exact same problem--my computer has always been that way--maybe I should call the place where I purchased it. I have Bell South DSL and they can't seem to help me either.
My daughter has RoadRunner and I set her OE up and it works fine remembering the password. She is using W98tho. Is this a problem with XP, maybe?
I will try to find more info and let you know.
Dcat

Collapse -
OE Remembers password now
by dcat / March 18, 2005 1:58 AM PST

Thank you all--I found links you gave, did it, and now it works fine. Hopefully I'll be able to help someone else with it.

dcat

Collapse -
Outlook express
by jkarol / November 29, 2005 12:48 AM PST

I have the same issue. Which process did you use to fix? I tried the MS registry fix but no luck. Thanks

Collapse -
Outlook won't remember password
by viper_crazy / September 29, 2005 9:07 AM PDT

There isn't much of a difference between Win98 and WinXP, if any at all. There is no problem with windows xp as far as this goes. IE and OE are pretty secure, despite what so called ''Experts'' say on the matter (chances are they think they know everything about computers yet they aren't as big as brand name computer companies...go figure that one!!! (i'll probably get some responces on that one)) Good information comes from top end companies...after all, there IS a reason why they are so big and the ''expert'' isn't! Closed minds are linked to open mouths! Anways, repairing OE can fix it, but not all the time. Completely uninstalling it and reinstalling can also fix it too. You may even try deleting the account under Tools menu --> Accounts, Mail tab, select the problem mail account, click Remove to the side. Then click Add, select Mail from the list. The information that will be asked is different depending on your ISP (Internet Service Provider). You shouldn't have to restore Windows...chances are, if it didn't work before, restoring it to an earlier point won't help! Becareful of the ''computer experts''...those who know what they are talking about, work with the tools at hand, they don't change tools, suggest a different tool or make a new tool. Their knowledge is defined by how they can fix it instead of 'shove it to the side and try something else'. Hope that some of this information helps...and hopefully help the less experience computer user out to finding genuine computer information that's correct and accurate. And if all else fails, keep asking the same question to different people...you'll then be able to wade through the BS and find the truth!

Collapse -
Outlook Express wont remember my Password
by bkoky / June 21, 2005 5:23 AM PDT
Collapse -
Joining late
by nickster30 / September 12, 2005 10:58 AM PDT

I just found this discussion on google after encountering the same problem. I clicked on the link that you said worked but it is expired. Is there anything that you can tell me to fix this problem?
nickster

Collapse -
Here is an updated link
by Zupaklutz / October 30, 2005 1:47 AM PDT
In reply to: Joining late
Collapse -
Reply to: Outlook express wont remember password
by gerhard77 / December 18, 2005 5:24 AM PST

I had same problem and solved it by upgrading outlook express to Microsoft Outlook. Wizard will do it for you. You an import all the stuff from express to outlook. Outlook remembers password everytime.
gg

Collapse -
Fix Outlook Express Won't Remember Password
by kimntt / November 16, 2005 10:56 AM PST

1. Click Start, and then click Run.
2. In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK.
3. Locate and then click the following registry key:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Protected Storage System Provider
double click on this key
There another key with the numbers
( for exm: S-1-5-21-2526963149-2373472284-....) which your account wilbe showup

look on the value side, you will see the MIGRATE key and the DATA value is number 2
Double click on Migrate key, chage value data to number zero( 0 )
Click OK
Exit Regdit
Reopen Outlook Express . Goto tools > Accounts > then re ente password again, this time outlook will remember password.

Good luck

Collapse -
Try This
by Testy / November 29, 2005 7:01 AM PST

Open OE to your account, click "file", click "identities", then "manage", then select appropriate account, then "properties" . Uncheck "require a password"

Collapse -
outlook express password
by jkarol / November 30, 2005 10:35 PM PST
In reply to: Try This

This has no impact. (I have required password box unchecked)

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!