Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

Outlook Express: transfering emails to other email client?

2 questions:

(1) My sister uses Outlook and I am helping her with her computer (blind leading the blind). How do I transfer all the emails currently sitting in her Outlook mailbox into a different email client? Do I simply highlight them and forward?

(2) Whenever she clicks on the Outlook icon, Outlook automatically grabs all her emails from comcast.net and puts them into Outlook. How can I turn off this auotmated feature within Outlook?

She has Windows ME.
Not sure of the version of her Outlook Express, sorry about that.

Thanks in advance!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Outlook Express: transfering emails to other email client?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Outlook Express: transfering emails to other email client?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Hi!

In reply to: Outlook Express: transfering emails to other email client?

You can disable "send and receive messages at start up" by going to tools>> options>> general tab.

Most email clients (well most major ones) have an import from outlook feature when you first load them up. Which email client is your sis switching to? Then I might be able to assist you. Not knowing that detail makes it difficult.

Craig

Collapse -
Thank you bglover,

In reply to: Hi!

I want her to use Thunderbird. Ultimately, I will make that change for her.

Right now she has comcast.net, and she wants to use that until we make the switch to Thunderbird. (She also has a hotmail account she wants to keep.)

Collapse -
Think you are a little confused--

In reply to: Thank you bglover,

Comcast is her email provider-- thunderbird and outlook are email clients that allow you to read the email off comcast's server.

Now that means once you install T-bird you have to set it up with Comcast's email-server settings to retrieve off their servers (that can be found on Comcast's site).

I haven't yet loaded T-bird, so I do not know the exact instructions in setting up a new email with it. But, I imagine it is something akin to Outlook's process. First you tell it the email address on Comcast, then identify the name of the comcast server (mail.comcast.net is their server name), then it will require the password she has been using.

I do know T-bird allows you to transfer messages you've already downloaded to Outlook to its own folders. I imagine there is a transfer wizard that is included in it, much like Firefox allowed me to import my bookmarks and other IE settings when i switched over.

HTH

Collapse -
Always confused, but this forum helps a lot!

In reply to: Think you are a little confused--

No doubt I am confused.

Comcast also provides an email service that works similar to Outlook and Thunderbird. She has been using that as well as her hotmail account to send and receive emails.

Ultimately, she wants to delete Outlook Express and use Thunderbird. In the meantime, she wants to have her Outlook emails exported into Comcast, after which she will delete Outlook from her system. She is having problems right now (with slowdowns and hangs) and she wants to wait until her computer starts running more smoothly to install Thunderbird.

Does this make any more sense? Thanks for your help.

Collapse -
Maybe it is your phrasing

In reply to: Always confused, but this forum helps a lot!

but i still get the impression you think Outlook is her email account. NO. It only retrieves her email FROM COMCAST and from Hotmail.

Unfortunately, I happen to also know that you cannot configure T-Bird to retrieve hotmail. M$ has it set up so that no email client BUT OUTLOOK can be configured to retrieve Hotmails. Thus, if you want to migrate to T-bird your sister will have to go directly to Hotmail to get her messages (there are separate programs that will take you directly to Hotmail and autolog you in with your password to make this task easier).

Collapse -
I know Outlook is not the email account

In reply to: Maybe it is your phrasing

but is an email "client." Comcast has the account. But I do use my computer terminology loosely and incorrectly half the time.

Thanks for your tip regarding hotmail.

Collapse -
Found the answer!

In reply to: Outlook Express: transfering emails to other email client?

In case anyone searches for this in the future, I believe I found a link with the answer. Scroll down and there is a specific tutorial explaining how I need to go about moving the stuff out of Outlook Express.
http://www.djdenham.com/Basic_Windows.htm

Thanks for your help.

Collapse -
(NT) Hi Marie

In reply to: Found the answer!

I don't think that website gives you the information you requested. I just read it myself.

As I understood it, you wish to transfer emails currently in Outlook Express to T-bird. That website tells you how to make copries of your emails for back up.

For the heck of it, I just downloaded T-bird (something I planned to do anyway). The first thing it did on start up was ask me if I wanted to transfer all my Outlook settings and accounts to T-bird-- just like Firefox asked me first thing if I would like to transfer my IE settings.

Again, unless I am missing something, it seems that all you need do is download T-bird and run that wizard and your problem is solved.

Collapse -
Yeah, I thought I struck gold,

In reply to: (NT) Hi Marie

But you are right. I will tell her to keep Outlook until she finally downloads T-bird. We are waiting to download that until such time as I can get her computer to work better. As you can tell, it is the blind leading the blind though. (Although this forum helps me a lot.) So it may be that I buy her a new one for Christmas?

Collapse -
MOVIE SUGGESTION:

In reply to: Yeah, I thought I struck gold,

Christmas in July, 1940, starring **** Powell and Ellen Drew. And Marie?

Glad I could help.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.