Computer Help forum

General discussion

Outlook Express shuts down while trying to reply

by bon44 / October 16, 2009 11:53 PM PDT

Does anyone else have this problem?

Outlook Express version 6, shuts down while I'm trying to reply to an email. It doesn't do it on all emails just some of them. I don't know what the difference is.

When it does this I could be right in the middle of an answer, just at the beginning, or anywhere else. It is VERY frustrating! It doesn't seem to have a certain place that it shuts down. The program shuts down completely and I have to restart it, and start the email all over again.

If I go to create a new email and write my reply there it works fine.
But, that is not the best way to do things.

I'm using Windows XP.

Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Outlook Express shuts down while trying to reply
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Outlook Express shuts down while trying to reply
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Outlook Express shuts down while trying to reply
by Cursorcowboy / October 17, 2009 10:27 PM PDT

1. The article [Q318378] describes how to reinstall or repair IE and OE version 6 if you are having problems because of damaged files or missing registration information. After using this procedure, you must again reinstall any updates which were previously installed.

Note: By default, IE6 is preinstalled in all versions of XP and cannot be uninstalled. Since Microsoft made it possible for a lot of flexibility for computer manufacturers configuring desktop versions, users may find an option already exist in the Add/Remove Windows Components section of the Add/Remove Programs tool in Control Panel, but this option may or may not reinstall Internet Explorer.

2. IE6 Service Pack 1 (SP1) is included with Windows XP Service Pack 1 (SP1) when installed, [Q328548]. You're advised to read, OLEXP: An Overview of the Cumulative Update for Outlook Express 6.0 SP-1 (Q331923).

Collapse -
Outlook Express shuts down while trying to reply.
by bon44 / October 18, 2009 6:15 AM PDT

Hi-
Thanks for your informaton. Before I go ahead and look that up, you made me realize something else.

I'm using Windows XP with Internet Explorer 8 and MS Outlook Express 6. Would that make a difference; using 8 and 6?

Thanks.
Bon44

Collapse -
(NT) Don't know the circumstance -- I use IE6/OE6
by Cursorcowboy / October 18, 2009 10:24 PM PDT
Collapse -
Outlook Express Shuts Down While Trying to Reply
by bon44 / October 22, 2009 6:05 AM PDT

Hi- Still haven't found the answer yet. Does anyone else have this problem and how did you solve it?

I'm running Windows XP Outlook Express 6. Internet Explorer 8.

Thanks.
Bonnie

Collapse -
Probably Related To Your Other Issue...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / October 22, 2009 6:21 AM PDT

So, please try this to ensure that you are malware free.

On a friend or family member's computer, download the Malwarebytes installer and update files from the links below, copy them to a CD or flash drive, then transfer the files to the problem machine and use them. If you can't start the computer into "normal" windows, try installing, updating, and running the scans AFTER the computer is started into Safe Mode.. I use the sites below to download the installer file and the manual updater:

Once downloaded and before transferring them to the problem machine, rename the program installer "mbam-setup.exe" file to something else like "Gogetum.exe", then copy the installer file and the update file to a CD or flash drive.. Transfer the file to the problem machine, then install the "Gogetum.exe" file, then run the update to get the program current.. After that, run a full system scan and delete anything it finds.

Malwarebytes Installer Download Link (Clicking on the links below will immediately start the download dialogue window.)
http://www.besttechie.net/tools/mbam-setup.exe

Malwarebytes Manual Updater link
http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam/database/mbam-rules.exe

In a few situations, in order for the program to run, it was also necessary to rename the main "mbam.exe" file also after installing it.. It resides in the C:\Programs Files\Malwarebytes Antimalware folder....

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
I had that problem awhile back
by lacsr / October 22, 2009 9:19 PM PDT

I was running ZoneAlarm Security suite with Outlook Express 6 on XP. It was a fault of the email security software. Many people were experiencing the problem at the time. There were workarounds posted but I finally gave up on it and switched to Kapersky.
If you are running an email security software that may be interfering with Outlook Express. It might be easier to switch to Thunderbird than find the cause for you problem.

Collapse -
I may have found an easy answer?
by bon44 / October 24, 2009 12:13 AM PDT

I did a little checking around and found that Zone Alarm email protection causes unstable situations and your email will shut down unexpectedly. To get around it, I went in and turned off the junk mail and the outgoing email sections. I'm going to give that a try. I have a feeling it is the culprit.

Thanks everyone for your help.
Bonnie

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?