Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Outlook express problem,continued

by tomron / December 1, 2004 7:16 AM PST

How we doing,
Glenn,I never did have a e-mail button,and thanks Roddy
for confirming my e-mail button,that is,the lack of it.So it's a possbility that the antivirus causes the file attachment icon,is it possible that the antivirus is to blame for autocomplete not working and not being able to send myself a test message.
Thanks,
Tom

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Outlook express problem,continued
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Outlook express problem,continued
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Tomron, Why Start A New Thread ?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / December 1, 2004 8:51 AM PST

It's normally better to continue in the same thread where the previous responses were posted. Those following the discussion can keep up with it that way.

If you happen to see a "No further replies to this post will be accepted" message at the bottom of a last post, you can continue in the same thread by opening the original post again, (or any other qualifying post in that thread) and "replying" to that. It will keep all new responses in the same thread.

For those interested, here is a direct link to the previous thread:

Problem with outlook express 6
http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6121-0.html?forumID=45&threadID=48490&messageID=575807

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Re: Tomron, Why Start A New Thread ?
by tomron / December 1, 2004 9:53 AM PST

Hi Grif,
I want to follow proper procedures.What I see is "create new Discussion","subscribe"Or "report offensive post".Can you elaborate on "opening oringinal post or any other qualifying post in that thread".I am not throughly familiar with all the procedures,I did'nt even know there was a e-mail button until Glenn30 brought to my attention.
Much appreciated,
Tom

Collapse -
by glenn30 / December 1, 2004 10:37 AM PST

Tom, what Grif is referring too is to reply in your original by making a post under the first line or to some other appropriate place in the thread.

As to the Email Button in your profile that is where I sent the email to you. Think about it... as I do not have your email address or other way to contact you it had to be there. It may have appeared mysteriously and left the same way but I do believe it was there.

Strange indeed and if you find the answer I hope you will share it. Best of luck, Tom. We have about worn out your post and still not much help for you.

Regards,

Glenn

Collapse -
by tomron / December 1, 2004 12:33 PM PST

Hi Glenn30,
I really don't know whats up with the e-mail button,but I do know that it's new to me,that being the case,according to the profile one has to activate the e-mail.The first time I ever heard of this is when you metioned it.AS far as the statement still not much help for me,on the contrary,I was pointed in the right direction,I learned,and interacted with good people.If this problem is ever solved I will share the solution(meaning outlook express),the e-mail button,I'm not even gonna go there.
Thank you all,
Tom
P.S. Sorry about placing the message in the wrong spot

Collapse -
by tomron / December 1, 2004 2:08 PM PST

EUREKA,
According to the AVG forum: Open AVG control center>select the e-mail scanner box>select plugins tab>select configure button>which opens a test options (window)>then under e-mail scanning check all six boxes,incoming mail,certify mail,with attachments only
outgoing mail,certify mail,with attachments only.Also the plain text format must be checked.The file attachment icon I get,even though there is no attachment is called a phantom attachment.I can now send test messages and do not get phantom attachments.The only thing that does not work is autocomplete.What did you say Glenn,still not much help for me.I told you it pointed me in the right direction.
much appreciated,
Tom

Collapse -
by roddy32 / December 1, 2004 9:01 PM PST

Congrats Tom.
As far as the autocomplete with the addressess, are you clicking "apply" after you checkmark the box? Check one more time. in Outlook Express, go to tools/options/send/automatically complete e-mail address when composing/apply/ok. Then close out Outlook Express and reopen it and see if it works.

Collapse -
by glenn30 / December 1, 2004 10:01 PM PST

Tom, glad to read of the progress being made. I did not mean to infer that you had not been helped... anything new learned is helpful. I was speaking in terms of giving you a direct solution to the problem. Sorry if my remarks came across differently.

That AVG forum site is a good one. After reading your comment I have used your instructions and reviewed my settings in the AVG Control Panel.

Thanks for the update and continued good luck!

Glenn

Collapse -
by tomron / December 1, 2004 10:36 PM PST

Hi Roddy32/Glenn30,
Roddy32,I tried what you said even before I sent my first post about this matter, then several times during our lines of communication.Glenn30,I know that there was no ambiguity in your statement.I was just trying to emphasize the learning aspect.
Thank you,
Tom

Collapse -
Tomron, Here Is An Example...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / December 1, 2004 11:40 PM PST

Instead of "replying" to the last post at the bottom of the other responses, I select a post further up the string, maybe even the very first post, then I press the "Reply to this message" button. As you can see, my reply continues to be listed in the same thread but in a slightly different location. That way, it keeps the discussion about the same topic in the same thread.

Clear as "mud"?

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Re: Tomron, Here Is An Example...
by tomron / December 2, 2004 12:44 AM PST

Thanks Grif,
Tom

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Tom, Glad We Could Help !
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / December 2, 2004 1:14 AM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?