Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

Outlook Express-Paper Clip shows on ALL e-mail

by vanman4005 / May 2, 2007 4:15 AM PDT

Running XP Pro SP2 - Recently installed new hard drive and did fresh install of XP Pro on new drive. Transferred all e-mail from old drive to new drive and set up passwords, etc. When booted computer and opened express - 99% of all incoming e-mail now displays the paper-clip icon when in fact there is no attachment. Prior to new install - paper clip icon only appeared when there was an attachment. - Now it shows up all the time.
How do I get back to only showing paper clip when there is an attachment? Setting? Patch ?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Outlook Express-Paper Clip shows on ALL e-mail
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Outlook Express-Paper Clip shows on ALL e-mail
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Try...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 2, 2007 7:53 AM PDT

"Did you follow these instructions?
Open AVG and click on the "Control Center" button on the left side, then Double left click on E-MAIL SCANNER. The Plugins tab should be on top...click CONFIGURE button. Remove the check mark next to "CERTIFY MAIL" for both Incoming mail and Outgoing mail. Leave the check mark next to "CHECK incoming mail and CHECK outgoing mail. Then OK your way out. By following these steps you won't get the paperclip icons except when there really is an attachment and there will not be a virus scan time stamp at the end of your messages when you send, however, your emails are STILL being scanned. For some dumb reason they used that paperclip icon for a visual certification."

Collapse -
Outlook Express-Paper Clip shows on ALL e-mail
by vanman4005 / May 2, 2007 10:19 PM PDT
In reply to: Try...

Hey there Proffitt!! - Thank you - Yup - one small detail I forgot to tell you - that you picked up on - AVG. The guy I'm working with installed it - had been using PC Tools. With new install - discovered AVG - works pretty well - but it appears that my guy is not familiar with the fine points. Will be now!! Thanks again - You saved me the last time - you came through again!! JDavis - PA

Collapse -
Just one more thing.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 2, 2007 10:54 PM PDT

No one knows it all. And the one that does will likely be the death of us all.

Bob

Collapse -
While you're out there . . .
by vanman4005 / May 3, 2007 12:34 AM PDT
In reply to: Just one more thing.

Would you take the time to look at my new thread under PC Utilities - regarding Otto's Print Screen? Thanks - vanman - JDavis - PA

Collapse -
Sorry.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 3, 2007 12:38 AM PDT

Never used it, no reason to install it, I know nothing.....

Bob

Collapse -
Dear Sorry
by vanman4005 / May 3, 2007 12:47 AM PDT
In reply to: Sorry.

OK - got a preferred print screen utility ??

Collapse -
After trying a few years ago.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 3, 2007 1:20 AM PDT
In reply to: Dear Sorry

I just tap printsrn or Alt+PRTSC then doctor it later.

Bob

Collapse -
PrntScrn
by vanman4005 / May 3, 2007 2:05 AM PDT

Yup - that will work - just trying to print only what it is we want instead of the entire page -

I'll keep working on the other - will use this in the meantime.

Thanks again - JDavis - PA

Collapse -
Let's say for Firefox...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 3, 2007 2:20 AM PDT
In reply to: PrntScrn

If I highlight the items on the page then on the file, print there is an option to "print selection." Maybe this is another reason I never installed one of those print screen utilities.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Firefox & Print Scrn
by vanman4005 / May 3, 2007 7:17 AM PDT

Might be able to live with prtscrn - but my wife wants her OTTO back!

So, . . . I will have to figure a way to fix this !!

Thanks anyway!!

John

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?