Computer Help forum

General discussion

Outlook Express Help

by coach1 / October 9, 2007 11:53 AM PDT

Every time I click on Outlook to look at my e-mail,it signs me on to AOL instant messenger. Any way to stop this.

Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Outlook Express Help
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Outlook Express Help
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Might be a way but ...
by Edward ODaniel / October 9, 2007 12:14 PM PDT
In reply to: Outlook Express Help

it would help to know a bit more about EXACTLY what is going on.

Is it really Outlook or is it Outlook Express and where are you "clicking" on it from.

Just above where you typed in your subjedct title you should have noticed some RED TEXT. If you didn't see it please tell us and let us know the browser you are using because that red text is viewable in every browser we are familiar with. Just in case yours is a completely new and different browser, here is what that red text states:

Note: If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

Thanks.

Collapse -
try uninstalling the messenger
by Dango517 / October 9, 2007 12:56 PM PDT

and reinstalling it. This could also be a settings problem in the instant messanger. Check for any obvious problems "here first".

Collapse -
Try.....
by Papa Echo / October 9, 2007 11:57 PM PDT

I am assuming you are using Outlook Express, going by the title of your post.

At Tools>Options, General tab, uncheck "Automatically log on to Windows Messanger." OK out.

Collapse -
Windows Messenger?
by BrianZachary / October 10, 2007 3:13 AM PDT
In reply to: Try.....

Papa Echo:
"I am assuming you are using Outlook Express, going by the title of your post.

At Tools>Options, General tab, uncheck "Automatically log on to Windows Messanger." OK out.
"

You read the title, but did you read the message? coach1 said "it signs me on to AOL instant messenger."

Collapse -
I said....
by Papa Echo / October 10, 2007 7:47 AM PDT
In reply to: Windows Messenger?

..."Try". "Windows Messanger" is a service. "AOL Instant Messanger" requires that service ?

Collapse -
So you're saying...
by BrianZachary / October 10, 2007 8:26 AM PDT
In reply to: I said....

Are you saying that AOL Instant Messenger requires Windows Messenger? I've never used AOL instant Messenger, but I have used other ones and I don't believe that Windows Messenger is required for any of them, except maybe MSN Messenger, but that may be wrong.

Windows Messenger comes with any Windows computer you buy because it is part of the whole Windows package. It is not a program that is required to run anything else, but you can have problems if you try to uninstall it or any other Windows or Microsoft programs that came with your computer.

You can, however, disable it from starting up. It will exit and you never have to see it again. The problem coach1 is having has nothing to do with Windows Messenger, he said AOL Messenger, totally different and independant services.

Like I said, I may be wrong, but I don't see how Windows Messenger has anything to do with AOL Messenger.

Collapse -
Well,...
by Papa Echo / October 10, 2007 10:03 AM PDT
In reply to: So you're saying...

I am not "saying" anything- my "try" and the "?" at the end of my last post imply that I am not so sure, but, ... "try"! As you said,....there may be problems.... I also do not have AOL Instant Messanger, and my "Windows Messager" is disabled. I just thought that if you uncheck "Windows Messenger", that may stop the problem, as otherwise, "Windows Messanger" will be loged-on automatically. As it was AOL which poped up, was Windows Messanger replaced by it ? Of course, if the item at Tools>Options was already unchecked, then other solutions may be available, maybe an option/preference at the AOL program. Uninstalling AOL Messanger is not a solution, because that would prevent it being used manually.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.