Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

Outlook Express contact - link with MSN and AIM

I've been a long-time user of Outlook Express and MSN Messenger. I was satisfied with both and since I don't need anything fancier, I would like to continue using them.

I liked the way my MSN contacts would appear in my contacts in Outlook Express. That way, I almost never had to open the MSN window, which ran in the background all the time. Outlook Express is always running, and when I need to see if a contact is online, I just check the window in Outlook Express.

About a week ago, I reluctantly installed AOL's evil messenging system: AIM. I had to do this because one person whom I needed to talk to only used that system.

Of course, since the purpose of this software is mostly to provide advertisement for AOL's other crappy products no one with half a brain would be interested in, AIM has incrusted itself all over my computer.

It launches automatically when I start up my computer, bombarding me with not one but two windows, both of which contain advertisement. It put a shortcut on my desktop, although I made sure to unclick the box for this option when I installed it. It has inserted links to AOL webpages in my favourites, and other little nuisances like that. Most of these are rather minor problems that I was able to fix easily.

NOW HERE'S MY REAL PROBLEM:

AIM has taken over my contacts in Outlook Express. It has imposed itself as my default messenger service in Outlook, removing all the MSN contacts and replacing them with my (very few) contacts in AIM. I do not want this!

I have been trying for five days to link Messenger back to Outlook Express, but I just don't know how to do it. I don't mind if my AIM contacts stay in Outlook. That doesn't bother me too much. But I want my MSN contacts in Outlook Express. I am now contemplating uninstalling all three of these softwares and reinstaling only MSN and AIM. I don't want to have to do that unless absolutely necessary. For one thing, obviously it's a pain. But for another, I'd like to keep AIM if I can keep it under control.

If anyone can help me, it would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Outlook Express contact - link with MSN and AIM
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Outlook Express contact - link with MSN and AIM
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Outlook Express contact - link with MSN and AIM

In reply to: Outlook Express contact - link with MSN and AIM

goto AIM preference, pick sign on/off, and uncheck the box that makes AIM the default instant messaging system Wink

Collapse -
Next time, GAIM.

In reply to: Outlook Express contact - link with MSN and AIM

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.