Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Outlook Express compromised

by ocboyle / November 10, 2006 10:57 AM PST

I have a Dell Dimension 5150c with Windows XP Media Center. My Email connection with Outlook Express seems to be affected by a virus. Connection is extremely slow and, when I get connnected, the receiving Emails process is also very slow. My main security system is Norton Internet Security 2006. I have contacted Norton Support and have used their chat facility to allow one of their experts to inspect and clean my computer by remote access. I have also contacted my broadband Service Provider and reconfigured the Outlook Express connection, and I have deleted Outlook Express and reinstalled it. The problem is still there and seems to be getting worse. Can anyone help?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Outlook Express compromised
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Outlook Express compromised
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Norton Support.....
by Marianna Schmudlach / November 10, 2006 2:15 PM PST

did they CLEAN your computer?? Or what did they tell you?

download AVG Anti-Spyware from HERE and save that file to your desktop.

After the installation, a free 30-day trial version containing all the extensions of the full version will be activated. At the end of the trial, these extensions will be deactivated and the program will turn into a feature-limited freeware version.

Once you have downloaded AVG Anti-Spyware, locate the icon on the desktop and double-click it to launch the set up program.
Once the setup is complete you will need run AVG Anti-Spyware and update the definition files.
On the main screen select the icon "Update" then select the "Update now" link.

Next select the "Start Update" button, the update will start and a progress bar will show the updates being installed.
Once the update has completed select the "Scanner" icon at the top of the screen, then select the "Settings" tab.
Once in the Settings screen click on "Recommended actions" and then select "Quarantine".

Under "Reports"
Select "Automatically generate report after every scan"
Un-Select "Only if threats were found".

Close AVG Anti-spyware, do NOT run a scan just yet, we will shortly.

Reboot your computer into SafeMode. You can do this by restarting your computer and continually tapping the F8 key until a menu appears. Use your up arrow key to highlight SafeMode then hit enter.

IMPORTANT: Do not open any other windows or programs while AVG Anti-spyware is scanning, it may interfere with the scanning proccess:
Lauch AVG Anti-Spyware by double-clicking the icon on your desktop.

Select the "Scanner" icon at the top and then the "Scan" tab then click on "Complete System Scan".
AVG Anti-Spyware will now begin the scanning process, be patient this may take a little time.

Once the scan is complete do the following:
If you have any infections you will prompted, then select "Apply all actions".

Close AVG Anti-Spyware and reboot your system back into Normal Mode.

Then please run the Housecall online virus scan located at:
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/housecall/start_corp.asp
Follow the prompts to scan your hard drive for viruses. Select the "Autoclean" option so that Housecall will remove any viruses from your system.
When the scan is finished, please restart your computer.

Then browse to the C:\documents and settings\Owner\local settings\temp folder and delete all files and folders in it.
Then browse to the C:\Windows\Temp folder and delete all files in it.
Then in internet explore click tools>internet Options>General. Click on Delete Files make sure you get all offline content as well.

Pls. let us know if it helped.

Collapse -
Outlook Express Compromised
by ocboyle / November 10, 2006 11:56 PM PST
In reply to: Norton Support.....

Many thanks Marianna,
I have followed your suggestions fully, including booting in SAFE mode and rebooting in Normal, but unfortunately the problem with Outlook Exress is still there.
Norton Support examined the contents of my computer by remote access and claimed that they had removed all suspicious objects and deleted all unnessary files. This was completed with a scan using Norton Internet Security after which I restarted the computer and removed and reinstalled Outlook Express as recommended by them.
The scan by AVG Anti-Spyware found 23 objects with 64 traces. All were cookies except for "Not-A-Virus. Downloader Win32.DigitStream". I clicked "Apply all actions" to remove them.
The scan by Housecall.trendmicro found 3 further cookies. I could not find the "Autoclean" option but clicked another remove option to delete them.
I finally deleted all the files in temporary folders as you suggested.
I have also carried out scans using Skybot Search and Destroy and eTrust EZ Antivirus.
Unfortunately, the problem is still there. I have again contacted my Service Provider and they have spent some time checking all of the configurations and have checked fully that the connection with the server is OK. It may be that the problem is with Outlook Express. (Did I say that my broadband connection is perfect and brings up Internet Explorer and Mozilla Firefox with no problems?)
I will contact Mirosoft Outlook Express support when their service opens on Monday.
Sorry that your efforts on my behalf have not worked out, but I am now fairly certain that, thanks to you, my system is free of any High Risk viruses.
Again, Many thanks. (Any further suggestions would be welcome)

Collapse -
You're Very Welcome.....
by Marianna Schmudlach / November 11, 2006 12:33 AM PST

Hi,

So, the problem "left", is that OE is still SLOW ?

Just a "thought, have a look at this post:

Sometimes removing or disabling Windows (or MSN) Messenger causes OE to open slowly. This will be shown by an entry in the system error log:

The server {FB7199AB-79BF-11D2-8D94-0000F875C541} did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.

To fix this, open Regedit and navigate to this key:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT
\CLSID
\{FB7199AB-79BF-11d2-8D94-0000F875C541}
\InProcServer32

In the right-hand pane, double-click on the (Default) value and delete whatever is entered there, leaving it blank. Click OK. Now perform exactly the same step with the key directly underneath, namely

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT
\CLSID
\{FB7199AB-79BF-11d2-8D94-0000F875C541}
\LocalServer32

Once both (Default) values are empty, OE will open normally

here:

http://www.duxcw.com/yabbse/index.php?board=10;action=display;threadid=4187

You also could have a look here:

http://www.insideoe.com/problems/performance.htm

If the above doesn't help - have a look here:

http://www.google.ca/search?q=Outlook+Express+slow&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

Collapse -
A thought on your issue
by Donna Buenaventura / November 11, 2006 11:35 AM PST

Hi,

I just thought I ask.. Do you happen to enable the anti-spam feature of Norton Internet Security 2006 (NIS 2006) ? If yes, try disabling the anti-spam function while Outlook Express (OE) is close. Then restart the system (not required but recommended) to try to unload whatever antispam component that is currently running at the background.
Next, try to open OE again to send or receive email. See if there is improvement.

If the problem still occurs after turning off anti-spam, you can try to "Compact All Folders" in OE.
To do that:
1. Open OE
2. Click 'File' in the Menu bar
3. Select to click 'Compact All Folder'

Restart OE after it finished compacting the folders then try to send or receive email again.

Let us know how it goes.

Collapse -
Outlook Express compromised
by ocboyle / November 11, 2006 11:00 PM PST

Donna,
I followed your advice on "Compact All Folders" and restarted. OE made the connection with the server perfectly but the Emails still did not come through, although the message "receiving Emails" was showing. I may not have mentioned in my previous posts that when this message was showing a long row of envelope type figures appeared on the Task bar. When right clicked they were identified as Norton Security Email scanning. As a last resort I removed NIS completely from my computer and restarted. OE immediately work perfectly delivering my Emails promptly. Thanks for your help. I think I will sign up to another internet security system
Owen

Collapse -
Glad to know you found the caused of the issue
by Donna Buenaventura / November 11, 2006 11:26 PM PST

I am using NIS too and I don't see that problem (yet? Wink )

Anyway,we're glad to know that you found the caused.

I'm not sure of your requirement when it comes to Suite or security tools (standalone). Free or Commercial.

Some suggestion only:
For free -
You can get Antivir, Avast or AVG as antivirus. AOL is also offering free antivirus that is powered by Kaspersky Lab.

You can have Jetico Personal Firewall, Comodo Firewall or ZoneAlarm or Outpost for free.

Commercial - I'm sure you where to find them Wink
Grisoft offers Internet Security too and AVG Pro
Trend Micro has suite too and etc.
NOD32 antivirus is another good product

Collapse -
Only an afterthought.... after the fact..
by Carol~ Moderator / November 12, 2006 6:19 AM PST

Owen..

I see you said, 'I have also carried out scans using Skybot Search and Destroy and eTrust EZ Antivirus'. Can I presume you used an online scan of eTrust's? And that you didn't have both Norton and eTrust running at the same time? Thinking if it was the case, it may have caused email issues and that you might not want to pick up an additional AV, as the two might conflict. If it's not the case....... forget about it and good luck! Happy

Only a "just in case"...
Carol

Collapse -
Oulook Express compromised
by ocboyle / November 12, 2006 10:56 PM PST

Marianna/Donna/Curcat,
I just now messed up an attempt to complete a reply. I assume it did not get posted.
Just to let you know the outcome:
I have had eTrust EZ Antivirus and NIS running without any problems for almost two years. As attempts at possible remedies, I separately tried disengaging eTrust, Antispam on NIS, and Email scan on NIS. The ony thing that finally let my Emails through was a complete uninstall of NIS. NIS had charged

Collapse -
We're glad to help Owen!
by Donna Buenaventura / November 12, 2006 11:51 PM PST

And we're happy that you have a new tool to help protect your computer without giving trouble!

Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!