General discussion

Outlook Express blocked senders list question

WinXP;512ram;I.E.6 -

I'm starting to use outlook express - add block sender (SPAM) to blocked senders list. (also just adding some domain names without the persons e-mail name).
QUESTION:
1. does outlook express just delete blocked sender without putting them in the deleted folder ?

2. or does I.E. return the message back to the sender as an invalid e-mail address.

3. is this method effective in blocking SPAM ?

I notice Microsoft Outlook just puts blocked senders into the deleted folder.

Thanks
Gene, Florida

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Outlook Express blocked senders list question
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Outlook Express blocked senders list question
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Block senders

3. is this method effective in blocking SPAM ?
==============

IMO....NO

Spammers will be changing names faster than you can add them.

I did a test drive on that method for about a month, amazing how big my block sender list became and I still received just as much spam.

- Collapse -
As "Bob" related. .

it'll remain just as bad.

"MailWasher Pro: 4.1.9" allows you to preview multiple accounts and all aspects of your e-mails before you download them. It also allows you to delete and bounce e-mails back to the originator. The sender will receive an e-mail saying the address was unknown. Another feature helps identify and mark e-mail as normal, virus, possibly virus, possibly spam, probably spam, chain letter, and blacklisted, so you can deal with the e-mail as you wish. Other features are comprehensive customizable filters, use of MAPS RBL to identify spammers, multiple accounts, visual and auditory notification of new e-mail, minimization to system tray, and much more. It is compatible with POP3 servers.

- Collapse -
any comments = http://spamlinks.net/filter-bounce-fake.htm
http://spamlinks.net/filter-bounce-fake.htm
everything you didn't want to have to know about spam
HomeInfoFilterPreventTrackToolsMore
Spam Links> Prevent > Secure > Backscatter > Fake
spamlinks.net/filter-bounce-fake.htm
AboutSearchSitemapContactBlog
Fake Bounces

"From" Address Forgeries
Challenge/Response Considered Harmful
Dealing with Spambots

Fake Bounces Considered Harmful
Since the "from" address is easily forged, if you send fake bounces you are likely to contribute to a mailbombing against an innocent victim. Spammers don't pay any attention to bounces, real or not, and spammers don't remove addresses from their mailing lists. Fake bounces may also forge the sender as the ISP's postmaster, which is likely to be forbidden by your ISP.

Bouncing is part of the problem, not part of the solution
- Collapse -
Most likely.

That's why my utility use only places the sender on the Blacklist for a period of 30-days and then it deletes the messages marked before Outlook Express is opened.

CNET Forums

Forum Info