Computer Help forum

General discussion

Outlook Express-Annoyance

After reading the CNet recommendations for notebooks and seeing this laptop listed, Dell Inspiron 6000, I want to ask about an issue with OE. This is a less than 2 week old Inspiron 6000 notebook, XP Home, Media Center Edition, 40 GB, 512MB DDRM. When I want to ''Insert'' a picture into the body of a message (not ''Attach'') I get as far as ''Browse'' to select the picture and then it will lock up. Can't click ''ok'' to get out, and have to do an alt-control-delete to get out of OE completely. These are not large sized pictures (jpg) even a small gif will lock it up. Everything I can see is set to allow html, pictures, etc. I've called Dell.....$99 for a tech call. No way, I am cutting my losses and taking the restocking fee and sending this back on Monday if I can't resolve this. Everything else works fine, and I know I can use other email programs, but this should work and it's more of an annoyance, but there is something wrong. Thanks for any clues.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Outlook Express-Annoyance
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Outlook Express-Annoyance
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
maybe this will help?

In reply to: Outlook Express-Annoyance

How do I set Outlook Express to send attachments inline?

Inserting an image in the body of email, this is not exactly an attachment. Just switch to html format when composing an email, and use Insert -> Picture to insert the image.

Make sure that "Send Pictures with Messages" (Tools -> Options -> Send -> HTML Settings) is on.

Collapse -
Outloook Express

In reply to: maybe this will help?

Thanks Jonah, All the settings are as you posted...and this is why this is baffling me. I cannot think of anything other than the anti virus software, Trend Micro PC-illin trial that is causing it. I've gone thru that to see if I could find something that might be stopping OE dead in its tracks also.

Collapse -
OE Insert

In reply to: Outloook Express

I am not sure if this has anything to do with this problem or not, but open OE and got to Tools/Options and click on the Security tab. Check to see if Internet Zone is selected rather than Restricted Zone.

If it is the AV, try temporarily turning it off nad see what happens.

Collapse -
Outlook Express - Annoyance

In reply to: OE Insert

Checked all the Internet Options, a-ok. Next step to completely remove Trend Micro PC-cillin and install Norton. Can't find any way to disable Trend....I've left clicked and right clicked every possible thing.

Collapse -
OE "Insert" Resolved

In reply to: Outlook Express - Annoyance

It was the Trend Micro PC-cillin. I uninstalled it, installed Norton 2006 and it works just like it should. Thank you for your suggestions.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.