Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

Outlook Express & AIM

by sanfranman59 / November 7, 2003 2:07 AM PST

I am a regular user of both Outlook Express & AOL IM (AIM). However, I would prefer that AIM not open every time I start Outlook Express. I've been back and forth with AOL about this issue for two weeks and have only gotten more frustrated. So I thought I'd bring my query to this group. Does anyone here know how to stop AIM from automatically opening with Outlook Express? At the suggestion of AOL's so-called "customer support", I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling AIM. I've also unchecked the "Start AIM when Windows starts" box in AIM's Sign On/Off Preferences dialog.

Any suggestions or is AIM inextricably linked to Outlook Express?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Outlook Express & AIM
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Outlook Express & AIM
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Outlook Express & AIM
by sanfranman59 / November 7, 2003 2:11 AM PST
In reply to: Outlook Express & AIM

Me again ... I meant to put a p.s. on my message. Is there a search function here on the new forums? I was an occasional user of the old ZDNet forums and always used the search to see if my issue had been covered already. How is one supposed to find messages here? Please don't tell me that we're supposed to browse through every message!

Collapse -
Try this..
by radean / November 7, 2003 3:04 AM PST

Open AIM preferences, click "SIGNON/OFF" (3RD ITEM FROM TOP) uncheck the box next to "make AIM my default instant messageing program".
After doing this, everytime you start AIM a box pops up asking to make AIM the default instant messageing. CLICK NO.

No Search function available here yet. Might try bookmarking your posts for now.

Collapse -
Re:Try this..
by sanfranman59 / November 7, 2003 3:31 AM PST
In reply to: Try this..

Good work, Ray! I didn't think to uncheck that box for this purpose, but that did the trick. Now why couldn't AOL's "customer service" just tell me that instead of making me exchange about 10 emails with them and never giving me an answer to my question? Sheesh!

Thanks!

Collapse -
AOL = crap
by caktus / November 10, 2003 4:44 PM PST
In reply to: Re:Try this..

Besides being loaded with spy/hijack/ad ware AOL has been known to misuse access to customers money and at times not recognize/understand thier own products.

Collapse -
AIM is a standalone program
by radean / November 11, 2003 12:57 AM PST
In reply to: AOL = crap

Luckily you don't need AOL installed to use it. I tried AOL years ago, and will never make that mistake again!

Collapse -
Re:AIM is a standalone program
by richie72846 / November 13, 2003 1:52 AM PST

Wait till you try and cancel AOL. I almost had to get a lawyer, like many people did.
richie

Collapse -
Re:AIM is a standalone program
by modman2004 / November 12, 2004 10:49 PM PST

Lol. I actually did that. Tried AOL then cancelled. They were trying to give me a hard time about cancelling them, but then my stepmom got on the phone and it was over. I'm just glad to have charter HiSpeed.

Collapse -
You didn't really expect ...
by cdgoldin / June 18, 2005 8:28 PM PDT
In reply to: Re:Try this..

>Now why couldn't AOL's "customer service" just tell me that instead of making me exchange about 10 emails with them and never giving me an answer to my question?"

You didn't really expect AOL's "customer service" personnel to be able to answer a basic question did you?

Twenty years ago, support personnel were familiar with the product the supported, and if they didn't know the answer (or understand the question), they would refer you to someone who did.

Today, "support" personnel are usually illiterate (poorly) trained monkeys, who attempt to find the answer in a (poorly constructed) database of Questions and Answers. However, since they aren't technically qualified, they rarely understand the question well enough to find the answer in the database, even if the database addresses the issue.

Furthermore, there is no longer any avenue for customer feedback, so the solution you eventually discoer may never make it to that database!

To make matters worse, many companies are outsourcing their "support" services to foreign countries (e.g. India), and compounding the technical illiteracy with language communication problems.

If it weren't for the Internet, and helpful users, no one's computer "problems" would be solved.

Thanks

Collapse -
How to stop aol launching whenever you open outlook express
by lobe01 / October 1, 2006 1:09 AM PDT
In reply to: Outlook Express & AIM

If AOL Instant Messenger is automatically launching whenever you open Outlook Express, you can do the following to stop this behavior:

* Open AOL Instant Messenger and Sign on.
* Click My AIM on the menu.
* On the drop-down menu, select Edit Options and then Edit Preferences then Sign On/Off.
* Uncheck the box "Make AIM my default instant messaging program"

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

CNET ON CARS

Want to see the future of car technology?

Brian Cooley found it for you at CES 2017 in Las Vegas and the North American International Auto Show in Detroit.