Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

outlook express address book backup files

by sivapaaram / November 17, 2006 10:30 AM PST

Can someone direct me on which are the files for outlook express address book that I can put on my USB drive. Also if the mail folder "contents can have backup files I can save. I have Win XP SP2
Outlook Express 6.0

Everytime I have to reformat or something, I lose them and it is such a pain re-entering all the info. I know there is a wab.exe and a wab.dll but I don't think that is enough. I've never posted here before so I hope I am in the right place Happy

Thanks for ANY help,
Carmen

Message was edited by: admin to remove email address

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: outlook express address book backup files
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: outlook express address book backup files
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Outlook Express Address Book and Dbx files locations
by trublubush / November 17, 2006 11:45 AM PST

To Computernuts,
Since I regularly backup my Outlook Express e-mail and Address Book on my external USB Maxtor hard drive, I might be able to help you with this one.

In order to navigate to the location of your address book AND your Outlook Express DBX files using 'My Computer'(EXPLORER.EXE), you must first "unhide" your system files and allow EXPLORER to display all 'Filename' extensions; at which point Windows will display a stern warning telling you that such an operation could subject your computer to harm. You must be willing to proceed regardless...

You must also know the filename of your own user settings which will be found in [c:\documents and settings\*.*].

The default location of your Address Book file is:
[c:\documents and settings\(your user settings filename)\application data\microsoft\address book\(your user settings filename).wab].

Since navigating to the location of your e-mail(DBX) files and backing them up to a USB storage device is a little more complicated, maybe you should get back to me on this first step which is actually pretty easy to do.

Good luck,
Trublubush

Collapse -
address files
by sivapaaram / November 18, 2006 1:08 AM PST

Thanks for the reply,

I got as far as c:\documents and setting\my user filename\ and that's all. I didn't see a folder for application data\microsoft\address book\user settings??

Carmen

The default location of your Address Book file is:
[c:\documents and settings\(your user settings filename)\application data\microsoft\address book\(your user settings filename).wab].

Collapse -
Posting your email address.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / November 17, 2006 7:50 PM PST

It is not wise to post email addresses in these or any other forums. Botnets trawl forums for email addresses so they can be spammed.

I have asked CNET's Admin to remove your address.

You say, "Everytime I have to reformat or something". I would ask why you need to reformat the hard drive and re-install Windows so often. With the right anti-malware protection, eg, firewall, anti-virus and anti-spyware protecting the computer from hackers, viruses and spyware, there should be little need for constant and/or regular reformats.

Why do you find the need to do this so often?

Mark

Collapse -
email address
by sivapaaram / November 18, 2006 1:00 AM PST

Thanks,

I am sort of naive with the internet but I do run all the virus,spam programs etc. I guess when I post I'm never sure if someone is going to reply via email. I'll watch in the future Happy

Carmen

Collapse -
reformat
by sivapaaram / November 18, 2006 1:14 AM PST

I have a desktop and notebook. Desktop is the original and added wireless notebook and it seems like anytime you have a problem they end up telling you to reformat. Desktop is a Dell, laptop an HP

The HP could only read the CD drive but would not write. Tech tried different things and guess what. Reformat!!!!!!! I am all up and running now, reinstalled everything, network, programs, reentered ALL my addresses ( had a hard copy) but am trying to avoid this in the future.

I have another problem with my Dell on" startup password" and in shutting down but will address that with another post Happy

Thanks,
Carmen

Collapse -
The easiest for me. . .
by Coryphaeus / November 17, 2006 8:51 PM PST

is to open OE, click File, click Export, click Address book. Choose Text file, then choose the destination. Done.

Collapse -
Here are step by step instructions...
by Edward ODaniel / November 20, 2006 9:18 AM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?