Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

outlook express 6 password problems

by tonycarton / April 15, 2005 2:14 PM PDT

I am running XP home and when I open outlook express it asks me for my password. I have entered the password and checked the save box, but the next time I open it, it asks for the password again.

I have gone to tools accounts highlighted the account and then properties and entered the password, checked the box and when I open outlook express it still asks for a password. By the way, if I uncheck the box, it darkens the password box and I cannot enter a password until I recheck the box.

I have gone to support.microsoft.com to the window that offers help with retaining the password and followed the instructions on editing the registry.

Windows XP
1. Quit all programs.
2. Click Start, click Run, type regedt32 in the Open box, and then click OK.
3. Locate and click the following registry key:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Protected Storage System Provider
4. On the Edit menu, click Permissions.
5. Click the registry key for the user that is currently logged on and ensure that Read and Full Control permissions are both set to Allow.
6. Click the Advanced button, ensure that the user that is currently logged on is selected, that Full Control is listed in the Permissions column, and that This Key and Subkeys is listed in the Apply to column.
7. Click to select the Replace permission entries on all child objects with entries shown here that apply to child objects check box.
8. Click Apply, and then click Yes when you receive a prompt to continue.
9. Click OK, and then click OK again.
10. Double-click the Protected Storage System Provider key to expand the key, click the user subkey folder that is directly below the Protected Storage System Provider key, click Delete on the Edit menu, and then click Yes in the warning message dialog box.

The user subkey folder looks similar to the following example:
S-1-5-21-124525095-708259637-1543119021-16701
NOTE: For every identity that you have, there may be a subkey under the Protected Storage System Provider key. To resolve this issue in all of your identities, you must delete all of the user subkeys folders under the Protected Storage System Provider key.
11. On the Registry menu, click Exit, and then restart your computer.

When I get to the instructions that explain deleating the user subkey folder under the Protected Storage System Provider key I do not find anything that looks like the sample they provide. There is a subfolder marked local machine, but it is empty.

Can you see what I am doing wrong?

Any ideas on how I can have my machine retain my outlook express password?

Tony

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: outlook express 6 password problems
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: outlook express 6 password problems
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Is this your only problem
by AussiePete / April 15, 2005 11:39 PM PDT

Have you got any other computer problems and does your system remember other password?
This may fix the problem:-
click "start/run"
in the box type-->
cmd pstores -install

Peter

Collapse -
"Follow the yellow brick road"
by nworley / April 16, 2005 12:05 AM PDT

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Protected Storage System Provider

HKEY_CURRENT_USER
Software
Microsoft
Protected Storage System Provider
S-1-5-21-124525095-708259637-1543119021-16701

Note the entry(s) indicate the user, on my system I have only one user, therefore only one number similar to the above. The instructions tell you that once you get Regedit up, open up each subkey untill you find the user under subkey Protected Storage System Provider. you must then delete that user or users subkey, using the edit menu under Regedit. If you do not have that entry, then you probably have a bad installation of Outlook Express.

However,your reference to: "When I get to the instructions that explain deleating the user subkey folder under the Protected Storage System Provider key I do not find anything that looks like the sample they provide. There is a subfolder marked local machine, but it is empty."

Indicates that you are in the wrong Key, that which was indicated is found under:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Protected Storage System Provider

Note that the keys are similar but the starting key is different HKEY_CURRENT_USER VS. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE

It gets confusing when you are opening keys and editing, that is why there is so much emphasis on backing up your registry before you do major surgery.

Collapse -
I didn't think it looked like I was still in Kansas
by tonycarton / April 16, 2005 4:33 AM PDT

Oh, that other one yellow brick road.

Thank you very much. That helped a lot. I have it fixed now.

Thank you again.-Tony

Collapse -
Re: outlook express 6 password problems
by Tufenuf / April 16, 2005 1:28 AM PDT
Collapse -
Yes, thank you
by tonycarton / April 16, 2005 4:35 AM PDT

Thank you very much. I have it fixed now. thanks again.-Tony

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!