Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Outlook Express 6.0 - Uninstalling and Reinstalling

by Carr / March 5, 2005 1:28 PM PST

I run Win98SE, Have IE6 and have used OE6 while subscribing to various ISPs, the latest being SBCYahoo whose graphics I didn't like. I am now using Earthlink as well as plain vanilla Yahoo for email and have no problem sending/receiving. When I attempted to open OE to review/make changes (and I am bad about that) I found that OE "could not be started because MSOERES.DLL could not be found. OE may not be installed correctly". I also got "(OE) cannot be run in DOS mode", and didn't know I was in "DOS mode"and how do I check/confirm this! I may have lost some files when I removed SBCYahoo but I uninstalled IE6, including OE6, reinstalled and still get the MSOERES.DLL message on trying to open OE. Also got "an error loading outlook express MSOE.DLL.File may not have been installed or it has been corrupted"! No prob with IE6, its the only browser I'm using. How to clean up this mess and properly reinstall OE? I undserstand I can't do this separately but must include IE in un/re process. Is it time to cut win98 and go to ME??

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Outlook Express 6.0 - Uninstalling and Reinstalling
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Outlook Express 6.0 - Uninstalling and Reinstalling
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Outlook Express problems
by Kees Bakker / March 5, 2005 9:46 PM PST

Your problem is not very clear to me.
- Just adding/modifying/deleting accouns should have any effect on the program. What did you do to 'remove SBC/Yahoo'?
- And what do you mean with 'review/make changes'(in what?) and why did you want to do it?

http://techrepublic.com.com/5100-6329_11-5164857-2.html# tells a comparable story. If it applies to you, one should conclude that your uninstall/reinstall didn't succeed. I should suggest to try it again.

Maybe just delete the dll's with the wrong version, then go to download.microsoft.com, download the setup for IE6, and run it. Even if it has Outlook Express bold (to indicate you don't need to install it) do check it to be installed.

Hope this helps.

Kees

Collapse -
Outlook Express Reinstall
by Carr / March 7, 2005 5:49 AM PST

I removed SBC/Yahoo by going to add/remove but I also went to "Find" for any files remaining and deleted those with "SBC/Yahoo" in the file name.
Review/Change was intended to confirm the OE setup since Earthlink specifies POP and STMP language. I just wanted to look and found that I couldn't access OE due to the error message concerning "msoeres" file missing or corrupted. I can "find" the Msoeres.dll file but still get the "can't find or file is corrupted" error message. I don't know what to do when I "Find" a file and want to install it or make certain that it is installed and running.
I went to the suggested Techrepublic.com link and, while it is intimidating I will read it closely.
I can uninstall IE6/OE6 and reinstall ok (i think) but still "Find" ie4 and ie5 files and need some advice as to whether I can simply delete them. You suggested deleting dlls with the wrong version, what about all files that refer to ie4 or ie5, or any other files that refer to an older version of any program.

Add/Delete shows only "Microsoft Internet Explorer SP1 & Internet Tools"

Thanks for your comments. CC

Collapse -
I shouldn't delete things by hand ...
by Kees Bakker / March 7, 2005 7:18 AM PST

just because you think that they are old. If it works, keep off.

Kees

Collapse -
On deleting
by Carr / March 7, 2005 8:39 AM PST

True enough. Most of my PC problems have been caused by my quick draw on deletions, etc.

Collapse -
Successful loading OE6!
by Carr / March 8, 2005 2:05 AM PST

Kees, I went to the suggested Techrepublic site, was a bit intimidated but found it useful. Ended up following your advice and uninstalled/reinstalled IE6 SP1/OE6 several times, each time paying closer attention! Success!
I now have a confirmed IE6 and OE6 and found some misplaced emails that somehow were stuck in my old OE file. I may have to coordinate this with my Earthlink mail but was glad to see OE again!

Another note: Following Grif's suggested, "How to Clean Unwanted Files..", I thought I was clean but found over 6,000 files in *.tmp and have not yet proceeded to the second paragraph of the article! I'll have to tighten my seat belt when I boot up!

many thanks, Carr C

Collapse -
Carr, Good Job To You And Kees...Next Step...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 8, 2005 2:23 AM PST

After finishing with the clean up instructions and running Scandisk and Defrag, BE SURE to visit the Windows Update site and get the most recent Critical Updates for Internet Explorer and Outlook Express. There should be some new ones for you.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!