Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

Outlook Express

by sbp1950 / October 15, 2007 12:27 AM PDT

Hi

I have just updated the operating platform on my 11 year old Vaio from W98 to ME. On completion, all works fine except that I cannot access Outlook Express. Error messages state that the program is not reponding because there is a problem with the DLL file amongst others. As I have 2,500 emails stored on the laptop "somewhere" can anyone help me to make O. Express operate again fully. Many thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Outlook Express
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Outlook Express
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Reinstall the latest IE ...
by Kees Bakker / October 15, 2007 2:46 AM PDT
In reply to: Outlook Express
Collapse -
OE
by sbp1950 / October 15, 2007 6:00 AM PDT

Hi Kees

Many thanks. Before I got your reply, I had just installed V6 Of Outlook Express. Sending/receiving mail is now fine. However, OE6 has not auto.imported the 2500 emails that I have/had(?)on the laptop. I really do not want to lose them. Is there any way I can get OE6 to find them and bring them into my SENT/DISCARDED etc. boxes where they were stored before I upgraded? I haven't a clue where they are stored on the hard drive. Many thanks. Steven

Collapse -
Re: OE backup/restore.
by Kees Bakker / October 15, 2007 6:21 AM PDT
In reply to: OE

Steven,

All your mails are in .dbx files in the socalled 'archive folder' of Windows XP. Just a normal folder somewhere in your Documents and Settings (if you've got Windows XP). You can see in the Options of OE what folder it is. But it's just as easy to search for it: set the Folder Options (in Control Panel) to NOT hide filetypes, use My Computer and Windows Explorer to search for *.dbx or Inbox.dbx and you'll easily find them.

Then transfer (copy) ALL FILES in your OLD folder to your NEW folder. This will overwrite the few mails sent and received with your new OE (in files like Inbox.dbx and Sent items.dbx), so you'll have to export them first and import them afterwards.

If you make a copy of your NEW folder before you do anything, and take care not to delete the OLD folder until everything is very fine, you can always return to the current situation if something goes wrong. No harm done then.

Now you know where your mails are, it's a good practice to include them in your regular backup scheme. That way, you'll never lose them (unless you lose both the original and the safely stored CD-Rw, DVD-RW or external hard disk you copied them to. Makes some people sleep better if they know their 2500 mails are safe whatever happens.

Hope this helps.

Kees

Collapse -
OE
by sbp1950 / October 15, 2007 6:55 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: OE backup/restore.

Kees

Again very many thanks. I have Windows ME (Millenium) not XP which would blow the brains out of my very old Vaio! (Just upgraded from W98 to ME - yes I know I'm way behind the times - which is why I have had this problem as you will see from the start of the thread. However, I am sure I'll be able to find .dbx files. I'll let you know how I get on. Very grateful to you. Best etc. Steven

Collapse -
How to restore Internet Explorer 6
by PudgyOne / October 15, 2007 11:48 AM PDT

and Outlook Express is included so you'll have to do this.

click on start

click on search

type in wu

you will find a wu folder, it has all the windows updates. Look for a little square box with a browser behind it. One will be called(I forget, so bear with me) IE6 or something close to it. Double click on it and it will reinstall Internet Explorer 6, you'll need an internet connection so it can download the other files. Then follow the instructions. Internet Explorer will be there with all your favorites plus it will give you a fixed version of Outlook Express.

Remember to go to Windows update and get the rest of the windows updates.

Rick

Collapse -
Outlook Express V6
by sbp1950 / October 15, 2007 9:04 PM PDT

Rick

Thanks very much for your input. All is now working perfectly as you will see from my earlier posting to Kees. I'm most grateful. Regards, Steven

Collapse -
OE
by sbp1950 / October 15, 2007 8:56 PM PDT

Kees

Very many thanks. As I said, I have Millenium Edition of Windows not XP. However managed to find all the .dbx files and uploaded them all into OE 6 and it has worked perfectly. All my saved emails are now incorporated into OE6, exactly as they were before. Really grateful to you. Best wishes, Steven

Collapse -
(NT) Glad I could help. Thanks for posting back.
by Kees Bakker / October 17, 2007 4:34 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?