Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Outlook express

by Mary / March 28, 2004 10:30 AM PST

Trying to help a friend that is on basic AT&T worlnet service so she gets no free tech help from AT&T. She is using windows 98, outlook express 6 and IE 6. This is one single home computer accessing the net with dialup. When she is in IE and clicks to get her mail this error pops up from outlook express.

The connection to the server has failed account postoffice.worldnet.att.net server mailhost.worldnet.att.net protocol SMTP port 25 secure (SSL): no socket error 10065, error number 0x800CCC0E.

I googled socket error 10065 and this is what I found was it means no route to host but I am an AOL user so I have no clue about outlook express or IE so can someone explain to me what's going on and how I can help her fix it. I think she is not getting her mail and when we tried to send mail we got that error also so I don't think it's sending and possibly not receiving. Also wepages are loading fine but when she wants to buy something and gets to the last part of the check out, when she clicks continue she gets this page cannot be displayed and can't order anything. Only when on the last part of ordering from a website and not just one site it's every site she tried to buy from so would this be connected to the socket error?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Outlook express
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Outlook express
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Outlook express
by Kees Bakker / March 28, 2004 7:18 PM PST
In reply to: Outlook express

It could be a wrong password or account or pop3-server, or other connection parameters that you may set in Outlook Express.

Postoffice.worldnet.att.net doesn't look like an account, to name something. Usually that's something like a121282@att.com or mary_poppins@attmail.net or whatever (I won't tell you mine).
And the pop3 server usually is something like pop3.att.net.
Are you sure she did configure her account settings correctly?

Hope this helps.

Kees

Collapse -
by Cursorcowboy / March 28, 2004 8:38 PM PST

1. The article [Q259317] describes how to change or add to your existing Internet e-mail account.

2. Note: Although most Internet service providers (ISPs) have both POP3 and SMTP, service providers may also provide other servers for these tasks which OE can be configured to use, [Q147388].

Collapse -
Re:Re:Outlook express
by Mary / March 29, 2004 2:46 AM PST
In reply to: Re:Outlook express

As far as I know she has changed nothing on the computer, had the same set for at least two years and she said this started happening a month ago. I have no clue since I am on AOL and she knows next to nothing about the computer stuff. I will read the article posted and see what I can figure out, thanks.

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Outlook express
by Mary / March 29, 2004 3:22 AM PST
In reply to: Re:Re:Outlook express

I forgot to mention her password is stored and we can click close on that error message and her mailbox is behind it and she can see old mail that was in there.

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Re:Outlook express
by Mary / March 29, 2004 3:43 AM PST

I also forgot to mention when we go to www.attworldnet.com and click on e-mail to see if we can log in that way to check her mail from the net the log in page won't display.

Collapse -
That fits.
by Kees Bakker / March 29, 2004 5:45 AM PST

The old mail is local on the hard disk, so can be read. And with webmail you have to enter your account name and password in the browser.
So both observations fit perfectly with the assumption that the account settings in Outlook Express somehow are invalid.

Try making a new account according to the instructions used two years ago.

Hope this helps.

Kees

Collapse -
Re:That fits.
by Mary / March 29, 2004 6:43 AM PST
In reply to: That fits.

Well, after fishing around more on the AT&T help page it seems that some people are having trouble getting to their mail from the net as of 3/29 and AT&T is working on it so that may be why we couldn't get the log in page to come up last night and today on my computer I could. I will try and re-do the account and see what happens. I am hoping by tongight she can find where she wrote her password down.

Also on the help site their were some nice instructions on how to check the account by going to tools, accounts. In their everything matches except when I get to the last one for connection properties. AT&T says there should be a check mark in always connecto to this account using AT&T connection service. Trouble is it says Alta Vista now and when she clicks the drop down arrorw there is no choice for AT&T so I am guessing this is the problem?

Collapse -
Re:Re:That fits.
by Mary / March 31, 2004 4:13 AM PST
In reply to: Re:That fits.

I still can't fix this for the person. I have checked all account settings from some info I found on the AT&T help pages and everything matches in outlook express to how they say it should be set up in there. Not only can she not send and receive in outlook express she can't get to any secure sites I realized. If she buys something when she gets to the last part of checkout the page with the lock won't come up, says this page cannot be displayed.

Now I did find that she has Norton Internet Security 2003 but she didn't know you had to pay for the yearly subscription and it has run out. The virus ran out in December and the security part ran out in February. I found this in AT&T help about Norton and I am wondering if it applies to her situation or if any of this could be connected to Norton running out? I mean if e-mail protection and security is enabled but your subscription runs out?
http://www.wurd.com/cl_email_faq_norton.php

Also some info I found about not accessing secure sites said to check in Internet options, advanced, security and make sure ssl 2.0, ssl 3.0 and tls 1.0 were checked and they are.
There are two error messages that come up when we open out look.

The connection to the server has failed account postoffice.worldnet.att.net server mailhost.worldnet.att.net protocol SMTP port 25 secure (SSL): no socket error 10065, error number 0x800CCC0E.

Also someone told me to try and access the sites this way https://amazon.com:443 but won't work, page cannot be displayed.
If anyone has any more suggestions I would appreciate more help.

Collapse -
Norton + secure sites
by Kees Bakker / March 31, 2004 4:52 AM PST
In reply to: Re:Re:That fits.

There has been a recent (february) problem with Norton security certificates. So maybe? But it certainly is a new element in the discussion! Better tell the whole story to start with. It saves everybody time, including yourself!

With google I found your post on the computing.net forum (http://www.computing.net/windows95/wwwboard/forum/157177.html), which is a nice round-up of this thread here. You bet on two horses, so to say (that's a Dutch proverb, I don't know if it is English idiom, but you get the picture). It nice to see that over there they are no better help than we are here!

But a few hits below on the same google screen I found http://forums.techguy.org/t139758/s9ad7c8d813ea93c8b8f0b1902cdc1e32.html which had a comparable case, with a solution. If that works, you'd better renew the Symantec license, then contact them for a final resolution. Or switch to free avg, whatever you prefer.

This is what it says:
"Been using Norton Internet Security 2001 for a long time. I use Outlook Express for email for equally a long time.

Just recently every time when attempt to send an email it fails to send and i get the following error message....;......The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'optusnet.com.au', Server: 'mail.optusnet.com.au', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10065, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E.....'

When i disable Norton Internet Security the email sends as normal.

I have no idea why this problem is occuring when up to now everything has been ok.

Help ???"

Hope this helps,

Kees

Collapse -
by Mary / April 3, 2004 10:57 AM PST

First of all after I posted on that other site I remembered that there is no e-mail notification or when someone replies the thread does not get sent back to the top like here so I found that I prefer this site much better because of that so decided to repost here in hopes of better help.

Now I was able to fix the problem by doing a repair of IE. After running the repair e-mail was fine and secure sites were working so I guess some how the browser got corrupt? I have no clue how any of this happend because it's been like that a while only she didn't care about the e-mail as it's not her main address but when she went to buy something and couldn't that's when she realized there was a bigger problem and wanted help. After that we were able to connect to the Norton site to pay for her definitions and I configured Norton to the best of my ability as I saw fit for her. I did enable auot notification and such so hopefully she keeps up on her virus defintions because I don't think she knew how to do that before. I think someone just installed this and left it as is and didn't explain to her what she was supposed to do to it. It was Norton Internet security 2003 and she also has Norton system works I noticed. Also had to run adaware ans spybot because robo find kept coming up for her start page so now she knows about spyware and how to remove it. Hopefully I have taught her a few things and she will check Norton once in a while and not let it run out when it comes due.

Collapse -
(NT) Your friend must be happy having a friend like you. Good work!
by Kees Bakker / April 3, 2004 8:53 PM PST

Collapse -
by ewrummel / June 2, 2004 2:44 AM PDT

Mary or anyone, I appear to have the same conditions and symptoms and would like to try the repair. I think I did that once before with instructions from a Microsoft employee. But I can't find out how to do it again. Please advise.

Collapse -
Repair IE
by Kees Bakker / June 2, 2004 4:12 AM PDT
In reply to: Re:Re:Outlook express

Start>Settings>Config Panel>Add/Remove Software. Locate IE (Microsoft Internet Explorer). Choose Add/Remove. In menu that appears choose repair. That's all.

Hope this helps.

Kees

Collapse -
Re:Repair IE
by ewrummel / June 3, 2004 12:40 AM PDT
In reply to: Repair IE

Kees,

Thanks for being there and your reply. This was my first time to use this site. I got close yesterday but didn't go far enough to see the "repair" option. Do you have any suggestions for error codes 0x800C131 and 0x800CCC0F? The last one I have not yet investigated. For the ...C131 I plan to try what Microsoft suggests.

Disregard my re-post. I used my 'refresh' button and guess that caused a duplication of the post from yesterday.

Thanks and Rgds, Ed

Collapse -
by ewrummel / June 3, 2004 12:28 AM PDT

Mary or anyone, I appear to have the same conditions and symptoms and would like to try the repair. I think I did that once before with instructions from a Microsoft employee. But I can't find out how to do it again. Please advise.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?