PC Applications forum

General discussion

outlook express

I have a little problem with outlook express when I check me mail I have double of the same mail I scanned my computer with Norton house call panda and nothing. If I close outlook and reopen it later some of the mail is going like I closed it and left five reopen it have one can any one tell me why.

Hp pavilion d1000y
Windows xp media center
3.6 GHz
1 GB m

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: outlook express
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: outlook express
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Multiple emails

In reply to: outlook express

MULTIPLE EMAILS IN OE:

Follow these instructions...no more doubles.
Click on:
Options>General Tab
You can only have one or the other of the boxes below checked off:

General
When starting to directly to my inbox

Send/Receive Messages
Send & receive messages at startup

In Outlook Express, click Tools, and then click Accounts.
On the Mail tab, click the mail account, and then click Properties.
On the Advanced tab in the Delivery section, click to select the Leave a copy of messages on server check box, and then choose the appropriate option for removing the messages from the server.NOTE: If you want to download all your messages to your computer, click to clear the Leave a copy of messages on server check box, click Apply, click OK, and then click Close.

Click Apply, click OK, and then click Close.
Repeat steps 2-4 for each e-mail account listed

TONI

Collapse -
tab

In reply to: Multiple emails

In Outlook Express, click Tools, and then click Accounts.
On the Mail tab, click the mail account, and then click Properties.
On the Advanced tab

Don?t have advanced tab just general server connection security I should have said it was hotmail that keep giving me double mail

Collapse -
RE: Hotmail duplicates

In reply to: tab

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&q=outlook+express+6+hotmail+duplicate+messages

These are portions of the search that I copied, and this step is what corrected the problem for me:
To stop the duplicates, simply choose one option or the other, but not both. Click Tools | Options, then remove the check mark for "When starting, go directly to my 'Inbox' folder" OR the check mark for "Send and receive messages at startup". If you already have duplicates showing, click Tools | Synchronize Account or Synchronize All.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Duplicate Outlook Express Messages

We call it "Step One," but basically it's a forum to answer your email questions about the basics of computing and technology. On today's show, Joe from Novato, California, asks:
I check my Hotmail account in Outlook Express, and I'm getting two of the same message. Can you help?
Outlook Express allows you to check multiple email accounts, one of which is Hotmail. We're not really sure why this happens, but according to our viewers duplicate Hotmail messages are often downloaded in the Outlook Express inbox.
The best way to solve this problem is to delete your Hotmail account in Outlook Express and set it up again. Follow these instructions to remove your Hotmail account:

Open Tools, then Accounts.
Select the Mail Tab.
Highlight the Hotmail account, and press the Remove button.
To re-add your Hotmail account, follow these steps:

Open Tools, then Accounts.
Create an entry for an account as usual using the Add button.
When you specify an address ending in @hotmail.com, OE will recognize it as a Web-based account and give you a number of Web-specific options, including downloading your Hotmail folder structure.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Why does OE show duplicate messages in my Hotmail or IMAP account?
That can happen if your Hotmail or IMAP account is the default mail account and OE is configured to both open directly to the Inbox (which downloads headers automatically) and check for new messages when starting (which also downloads headers automatically). To stop the duplicates, simply choose one option or the other, but not both. Click Tools | Options, then remove the check mark for "When starting, go directly to my 'Inbox' folder" OR the check mark for "Send and receive messages at startup". If you already have duplicates showing, click Tools | Synchronize Account or Synchronize All.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
OLEXP: Hotmail Messages Are Downloaded Twice
The information in this article applies to:
Microsoft Outlook Express 5 for Windows 98
Microsoft Outlook Express Version 6 for Windows 98
SYMPTOMS
When you check for your Hotmail e-mail messages by using Outlook Express, messages are duplicated.
CAUSE
This behavior occurs if your Hotmail Name.dbx folder is damaged.
RESOLUTION
To resolve this issue, quit Outlook Express, rename the Hotmail Name.dbx folder, and then download the folder again:
Quit Outlook Express.
Click Start, point to Find, and then click Files or Folders.
In the Named box, type Hotmail*.dbx, and then click Find Now.
For each file that is found, right-click the file, click Rename, and then change the extension to xxx.
Close the Find Files window, and then start Outlook Express.
Click Send and Receive, and then click Hotmail account

TONI
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) thank you

In reply to: RE: Hotmail duplicates

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!