Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Outlook - doesn't remember password when setup new account

by gooduser1 / January 15, 2009 12:49 AM PST

So here's the next kink:

I set up a new email account, and checked "Remember Password", but it doesn't remember.

I found a Microsoft article telling me that if my outlook 2000 installation is internet mail only (which apparently it is), I will need to change the registry value for "SMTP Prompt for Password" to 1. This didn't help.

(outlook 2000 / xp sp3)

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Outlook - doesn't remember password when setup new account
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Outlook - doesn't remember password when setup new account
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Let's dismiss these accounts?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 15, 2009 12:54 AM PST

If it's a hotmail, MSN, or Live account, I know of no fix.

You didn't tell if this was a limited account, if so, make it an admin.
Bob

Collapse -
yahoo mail being accessed from administrator account
by gooduser1 / January 15, 2009 12:57 AM PST

does that help?

Collapse -
Review another article.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 15, 2009 2:04 AM PST
Collapse -
didn't work
by gooduser1 / January 15, 2009 3:35 AM PST

I tried using the steps recommended in the article you referenced. Now, whenever I try to send/receive, outlook prompts me for my password, and when I put in the correct password, it doesn't accept it and puts out the password prompt again.

The article did say that that solution was if outlook was configured with the Corporate or Workgroup option, and I didn't see the corporate or workgroup words when I did help->about, but I figured I had nothing to lose.

Anything else you could recommend?

Collapse -
Just one last thing.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 15, 2009 3:46 AM PST
In reply to: didn't work

Is this a PAID FOR Yahoo email account? They used to hand out pop3 setups and people let these lapse and you get this issue. I rechecked above and small details are missing.

-> Another test I do is to backup the PST then wipe the OL off the drive then reinstall on a NEW USER ACCOUNT then set it up again.

-> In closing, a long hard fix ended abruptly when we discovered they used security and privacy software like Mcafee/Norton suites that purposely block saving passwords.

Just checking.
Bob

Collapse -
strange development - now what?
by gooduser1 / January 15, 2009 4:18 AM PST
In reply to: Just one last thing.

strange.
Outlook spontaneously (I don't think I did anything to warrant any changes) began to receive mail properly, apparently remembering my password correctly.

Now the problem is just sending emails from outlook.
If I compose an email and click send, it's supposed to send right away, but instead I see that it failed w/ an SMTP error code of 0x800ccc17.
If I click on send/receive, it at least prompts me for the password and sends when I input the password.

Is it salvagable now?

Collapse -
now it's working fine
by gooduser1 / January 15, 2009 4:29 AM PST
In reply to: Just one last thing.

Well I just checked the servers setting again, just to make sure, and noticed the settings button for the outgoing smtp server. for some reason, the use same as incoming server wasn't checked, and the remember password wasn't checked. so I just changed it to same as incoming. works like a charm.

But thank you so much for your help anyway.
I am so appreciative that you guys are there and give such quick and helpful responses. Are you guys paid by CNET for this?

Collapse -
No. Just another
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 15, 2009 5:19 AM PST
In reply to: now it's working fine

I used OL2000 for far too many years. Hopefully it will just keep working.

Collapse -
Thanks
by gooduser1 / January 15, 2009 10:54 AM PST
In reply to: No. Just another

Well maybe they'll pay you for it upstairs. Everything's hunky dory now, thanks again.
gooduser

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.