Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

Resolved Question

Outlook archive file not opening

by romanrommel / May 5, 2015 9:13 PM PDT

I have Outlook 2007 which has a 4Gb archive pst file stored on a file server, there are other archive pst's that I can open but this one wont, the error is: 'cant open 'xxx file' it is in use and cannot be accessed'
The thing is it isnt in use, i can copy it onto the local machine and open it, i can rename it etc just cant seem to open it from the network.
I have restarted the PC, tried a new outlook profile but no luck.
Would be grateful for any suggestions?
Thanks

romanrommel has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Outlook archive file not opening
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Outlook archive file not opening
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by romanrommel

Collapse -
Try to repair your archive via ScanPST
by jaycehead / May 28, 2015 8:56 PM PDT

Repair errors by using Scanpst.exe
Exit Outlook if it is running.

Double-click Scanpst.exe, located at drive:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE12.

In the Enter the name of the file you want to scan box, enter the name of the .pst or .ost file that you want to check, or click Browse to search for the file.

To specify the scan log options, click Options, and then click the option that you want.

Click Start.

If errors are found after the scan is complete, you will be prompted to start the repair process to fix the errors.

A backup file is created during the repair process. To change the default name or location of this backup file, in the Enter name of backup file box, enter a new name, or click Browse to look for the file that you want to use.

Click Repair.

Start Outlook by using the profile that contains the .pst file that you tried to repair.

On the Go menu, click Folder List.

In the Folder List, you may see a folder named Recovered Personal Folders that contains your default Outlook folders or a Lost and Found folder. The recovered folders are usually empty, because this is a rebuilt .pst file. The Lost and Found folder contains the folders and items

Also you may learn and visit following threads to know more about solutions for solving your issue...
http://community.office365.com/en-us/f/172/t/262226.aspx
http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/3169137

Collapse -
Answer
Re: Outlook archive file
by Kees_B Forum moderator / May 5, 2015 9:18 PM PDT

Try scanpst. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/272227 tells how.

If it fails, there are a lot of shareware pst repair tools that might work or might not work. Any link in other posts will be deleted, so you'll have to do some searching yourself.

Kees

Collapse -
Just a hey, do you remember that OP?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 9, 2015 3:12 AM PDT

That went on and on but later it was revealed the OS was XP. It was something about XP after all.

Collapse -
Answer
TRUE!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 6, 2015 1:33 AM PDT

I recall that OL2007 needed a SR patch before it would go past 2GB PST files. I can see where folk would get all tripped up on that old issue. I'll stop here so you can do more research. No PST repair tool would be needed for that issue.

There's also the road to newer Outlook versions as well as moving to Thunderbird.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
you may do Microsoft manual solution
by alexstingmaster / June 10, 2015 8:10 AM PDT

1. Go to the location where SCANPST.EXE file is saved.
2. Double-click SCANPST.EXE.
3. A short window Microsoft Outlook Inbox Repair Tool will pop up
4. Now click on Browse to select corrupt PST file from the system directory.
5. A new window Select File To Scan will pop up. Select corrupt PST file.
6. Selected PST file will be shown on the edit box. Now click on Start to start the scanning process.
7. SCANPST.EXE will start scanning the corrupt PST file.
8. Within a few seconds the file will be scanned. All the errors and issues will be shown here, if found.
9. The box “Make backup of scanned file before repairing” is checked by default. You may also uncheck it. Now click on Repair button to repair the scanned PST file.
10. It will take a just a couple of minutes to repair the file. Once the file will be repaired this message will take place.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.