Office & Productivity Software forum

General discussion

Outlook and Spam

by Pascal33 / August 21, 2005 7:31 AM PDT

Recently I read about setting up a second inbox that you divert all emails from your "Safe Senders" to. But now I can't find the article, of course. This way, the original "inbox" still gets any new spam that slips through the filters along with Non-Spam emails that aren't on the safe-senders list yet. I've tried to find a setting to do this and maybe it's a "rules" thing, but I import my email in from Hotmail and can't access the Rules section. Any Ideas? thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Outlook and Spam
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Outlook and Spam
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Spam filtering
by El Alquimista / August 21, 2005 8:50 AM PDT
In reply to: Outlook and Spam

Outlook 2003 already has the second box, called Junk Email, built in. Go to Tools > Options > Preferences and in the E-Mail section, click Junk E-Mail. Here you make one several choices.

Remember, whichever choice you make here, the filtering is done by a dumb robot. Some legitimate mail will end up in the junk box and some junk will end up in the regular inbox. So be sure to check your junk box carefully every day before emptying it. I keep my setting on Low and the preview pane disabled (so that possible malware-bearing mail is not opened). It is then so easy to do my own filtering -- to make my own decisions rather than depend on some dumb robot -- and delete what I wish as I look through my inbox. I get a fair amount of mail from ''safe'' sources I do not want to miss completely, but not all of whose mail I want to read. I filter these based on the subject line.

Personally, I would never check the box to automatically delete junk mail. Who knows? You may someday get an e-mail from an unknown rich relative who wants to give you a million ? or perhaps some other mail that may be less valuable, but still of some interest to you.

Another thing many do is set up a completely separate account with a different address. Give out one address only to your ?safe list? and use the other for all on-line operations; most (but not all) spam will go into the latter. You can then also filter each of these, but the percentage of false classifications will be smaller.

Hope this helps

Frank

Collapse -
re: Spam filtering
by Pascal33 / August 21, 2005 4:31 PM PDT
In reply to: Spam filtering

Thanks for the response. I'm already using the Junk E-Mail folder. But you still have to right-click on new spam and label it as such.

The article I read talked about actually setting up a folder that would only contain emails from people on your ''Safe Senders'' list.

I remember it involved forwarding Safe Senders Emails to this new folder while ''unknown status'' emails went to the old Inbox folder (and items previously marked as ''Junk'' went to the Junk E-mail folder). I thought I saved the page, but I was rushed and didn't.

Collapse -
Safe folders
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / August 22, 2005 8:44 AM PDT
In reply to: re: Spam filtering

In Outlook, goto File > New > Folder. Create a new folder under Personal Folders with a name of your choice.

Then under Tools > Rules Wizard, click New under "Apply rules in the following order".

The Rules Wizard will default to ''Start creating a rule from a template'', and will highlight ''Move new messages from someone''. In the ''Rules Description'' window, click ''People or distribution list''.

In the next window either type a name, or select ''Show names from the:'' pull down list to display your address book or Contacts.

Back to the Rules Wizard, and click ''move it to the specified folder''. Select your new folder. You can also created sub-folders here if you wish.

Mark

Collapse -
I use POPFILE.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 21, 2005 10:11 AM PDT

Look it up on google.com. It's what I use.

Bob

Collapse -
POPFile vs. Outlook filter
by El Alquimista / August 21, 2005 6:03 PM PDT

It seems as though you want a three-way classification -- safe, junk, and unknown. While the built-in Outlook filter has these three categories, it uses only two mailboxes; it either combines safe and unknown in the inbox, or junk and unknown in the in the junk box. You apparently want three mailboxes.

I have never used POPFile that Bob suggests, but it seems that it will do that, and let you have even more categories if you so desire.

It also seems that you don't want to bother identifying the first occurance of particular spam to ''train'' the filter so that it can later handle that sender or domain automatically. POPFile also needs to be trained to recognize particular spam and other categories, and I think any filter short of AI will also need training. The other downside of POPFile is that it is reported to be something of a memory and CPU hog, especially if it is heavily trained. See

http://email.about.com/cs/bayesianspamsw/gr/popfile.htm

My only other suggestion is that you Google spam filters and look through the dozens there for what best meets your desires.

Frank

Collapse -
POPFile vs. Outlook filter results (My results)
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 21, 2005 10:15 PM PDT

The Outlook filter leaked like a coffee filter. Spammers know to fake return addresses, alter topics and more to wipe out your filters.

With POPFILE (did I write its free?) I rarely see any of this after the initital training period and a my 'magnets' list is about a dozen items. The Outlook filter was some hundred plus entries and growing.

No comparison.

Bob

Collapse -
A new form of Spam. (not again...)
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 22, 2005 9:24 AM PDT

Imagine you get an email from your boss (I'll note it's Steve Jobs). It asks you to drop all that you're doing and do (insert task here) at some link supplied.

This sort of new spam is quite amazing and outlook's filtering didn't catch it.

I'm been of the mind that email as we know is just about dead.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.