Office & Productivity Software forum

General discussion

Outlook 97

by emmausdan / June 7, 2007 6:51 AM PDT

I have had some computer problems and have a new hard drive. I have reinstalled Office 97, which has Outlook 97. I have my old .pst file and tried to run Outlook 97 with it. All my folders and personal stuff is missing. I guess there is a profile file that I have not reinstalled. What would the name of that file be? I guess I need to reinstall the profile file first before I install the old .pst file. If you have any other advice please tell me.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Outlook 97
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Outlook 97
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Outlook 97
by Kees Bakker / June 7, 2007 7:07 AM PDT
In reply to: Outlook 97

What I should do: run Outlook and see where it puts it .pst file. Then replace that with the much bigger one from my backup. That's the way I should find out where to put it.
How did you do it?

Kees

Collapse -
Outlook 97 profile info
by emmausdan / June 7, 2007 7:20 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Outlook 97

I did that, but when I opened up Outlook, I had lost a majority of the messages that I had placed in folders. None of the folders were there. It seems that Outline must have a file with the info from the folders and other personal settings I had made. I need to find those files.

Collapse -
Link comment.
by Kees Bakker / June 7, 2007 7:36 AM PDT
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/168644 is the article about backing up Outlook 97 data. I'd say that all data is in .pst file, except address book, toolbar data and autosignature information. It's a mystery to me where your mails have gone.

Kees
Collapse -
profile data
by emmausdan / June 7, 2007 9:53 AM PDT
In reply to: Link comment.

What file is the data in that you were referring to?

Collapse -
data
by emmausdan / June 7, 2007 10:21 AM PDT
In reply to: profile data

the toolbar data and auto signature data and the other data

Collapse -
It's all in the link.
by Kees Bakker / June 7, 2007 5:07 PM PDT
In reply to: data

I won't repeat it here.

Kees

Collapse -
Just a thought,
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / June 8, 2007 6:54 AM PDT
In reply to: Outlook 97

I don't use Outlook so I don't know too much, but you didn't say how you transferred the .pst file to Outlook 07.

Did you just copy/paste it, or did you use Outlook 07 to "Import" the file?

Mark

Collapse -
transferring file
by emmausdan / June 8, 2007 7:23 AM PDT
In reply to: Just a thought,

I copied the file to the same location at the current .pst file and renamed the current .pst file.

I am using Outlook 97.

Collapse -
(NT) Is there an Import feature in Outlook 2007?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / June 8, 2007 7:46 AM PDT
In reply to: transferring file
Collapse -
I can't read anything about Outlook 2007 ...
by Kees Bakker / June 8, 2007 8:04 AM PDT

in his posts. One of us must be misreading.

But it's certainly a good idea not to COPY the old .pst file (if that doesn't work, what it should do, as far as I know) but try to IMPORT from it. It might just succeed, for some unknown reason.

Kees

Collapse -
Ahh, my error
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / June 8, 2007 9:35 AM PDT

Sorry emmausdan and Kees, I am so used to seeing Office 2007 nowadays I just assumed this was.

Mark

Collapse -
import
by emmausdan / June 8, 2007 10:47 AM PDT
In reply to: Ahh, my error

Outlook 97 has an import feature, but I do not think that you can import from a .pst file. I think it has to be a comma delented file, or tab file

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.