Windows Vista forum

Resolved Question

Outlook

by Billyjess / August 26, 2011 8:10 AM PDT

Every time I open my Outlook email programme, it now comes up with this message, and I have NO idea how to get rid of it. does anyone know please? I did ask a technician and he said easier just to click the OK and keep going in, but it is totally annoying me ...

The Add-in "Google Desktop Search Outlook Addin" (C:/Programme/Files/Google/Google Desktop Search/Google Desktop Office.dll) cannot be loaded and has been disabled by Outlook. Please contact the Add-in manufacturer for an update. If no update is available, please uininstall the add-in.

????

Billyjess has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Outlook
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Outlook
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by Billyjess

Collapse -
Since this is Outlook, look at Manage Addins (link only)
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 26, 2011 8:18 AM PDT
In reply to: Outlook
Collapse -
Outlook
by Billyjess / August 27, 2011 7:58 AM PDT

Thanks R.Proffitt
I had no idea that was there, BUT unfortunately the one I need doesn't show up there, the google desktop etc. as in my original query. mmmm I wonder why that is??

any other suggestions please??

Collapse -
Link, comment.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 27, 2011 8:09 AM PDT
Collapse -
Bob
by Billyjess / August 29, 2011 5:27 AM PDT
In reply to: Link, comment.

thanks Bob, but I have NO idea where to find that file ..

Collapse -
The file path was given.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 29, 2011 5:52 AM PDT
In reply to: Bob

%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Outlook\extend.dat

I press the windows orb (or control+escape) then put in %LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Outlook then hit return and that folder opened.
Bob

Collapse -
And no, I don't expect folk to know this stuff.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 29, 2011 5:55 AM PDT

Hopefully this is enough for you to find it now.

Collapse -
Answer
Did you uninstall that Add-in?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / August 26, 2011 8:12 AM PDT

That's what I would do.

Mark

Collapse -
Mark
by Billyjess / August 29, 2011 5:37 AM PDT

The one R Proffitt mentioned, Mark? I have no idea where to find it ... where do I find it?
to tell you the truth Mark, I'm not even sure what an add in is Sad

Collapse -
Depending which version Outlook
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / August 29, 2011 5:40 AM PDT
In reply to: Mark

For example, if this is Outlook 2007 I can give you this; Enable or disable Add-ins in Office programs

Mark

Collapse -
Mark
by Billyjess / August 29, 2011 5:54 AM PDT

yes, it is Outlook 2007, lucky guess mark !!
I'll check it out .. thanks.

Collapse -
Mark
by Billyjess / August 29, 2011 5:59 AM PDT

thanks Mark. I went into that site thru tools etc and have been in there before, someone told me, but the file I want isn't in there.

I just clicked the windows orb and highlight and copied that file in there, ad it came up with 'nothing matches your search' .

Its a bit of a mystery one this one.

Collapse -
If %LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Outlook fails.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 29, 2011 6:02 AM PDT

Try %LocalAppData%\Microsoft next and see what outlook folder there is.

If someone performed a custom install the folder can be anywhere. I can't guess where else to check.
Bob

Collapse -
Bob
by Billyjess / August 29, 2011 6:06 AM PDT

How do you mean 'try' that. How do I try it? do you mean copying it and putting that file into the windows orb like Mark suggested??

I am totally computer illiterate and honestly not sure what you mean for me to do

Collapse -
bob again
by Billyjess / August 29, 2011 6:10 AM PDT

I did that and it came up with something a list, and outlook was in the list, I clicked on that and it had a list of strange things, one being 'extend dat' ... 1KB but has today's date. there are bak and pst thingies .. not sure if I'm anywhere near the right place

Collapse -
You've found it.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 29, 2011 7:48 AM PDT
In reply to: bob again

You can rename that file to achieve the same effect as noted in the discussion I linked to.

As to computer skills, if you were able to find the file, you're doing fine.
Bob

Collapse -
huh, Bob
by Billyjess / August 29, 2011 8:26 AM PDT
In reply to: You've found it.

rename the file in the outlook one I found? What to, and what for?? What will that do??
is it the 'extend.dat' one you are talking about, or there is outlook.bak, outlook.log, outlook pst .... I'm a bit wary of doing anything in there.

Collapse -
Read the linked discussion again.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 29, 2011 9:08 AM PDT
In reply to: huh, Bob

And if you feel like you do not want to work the issue, print out that discussion and take the printout and the machine to the person who works on your PC for you.

Renaming extend.dat in my opinion is the safest option since we can then undo the work.
Bob

Collapse -
mark
by Billyjess / August 29, 2011 6:03 AM PDT

I see you are a mod Mark and also r profitt, and it says that I have chosen a reply as the best answer and that this is resolved??? What is going on, I haven't chosen anything, and this is definitely not resolved. do you know what happened there??

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.