Question

Outlook 365 no longer connects to gmail smtp

Using Outlook 365 successfully for some time. Now SMTP will not connect to gmail to send messages. Checked settings. Suspect it has something to do with increased security (2 factor auth. etc being introduced in google). Solution on google help says use an app password, but I do not see that option in my gmail security settings. Trying to run send receive on outlook does not send notification to my phone. Google account does not show stopped log in attempts. Help?

Discussion is locked

Answer
Follow
Reply to: Outlook 365 no longer connects to gmail smtp
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Outlook 365 no longer connects to gmail smtp
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Clarification Request
Did you turn off 2 factor?

I see where it may fail. Go back to just a plain setup and try again. As to logging information, I never found that feature in Gmail.

- Collapse -
Yes

Problem started with two factor off. I turned on the option to get security warnings in phone to see if that would help. It didn’t. Actually left 2 factor option off. Also tried allowing “less secure apps” in google account settings. No go

- Collapse -
Extra info

By the way, I can get mail, so imap works. Only smtp refuses to connect.

- Collapse -
Sounds correct.

SMTP is used to send so that is where your issue is. I'd stop fussing with 2 factor and set it up like everyone else. I'm seeing so many 2 factor failures that end up with finger pointing instead of "do this" that I'm not going to use that here.

- Collapse -
Except

I had it set up all plain and simple. It worked for a year. Suddenly it stopped working. I’m not trying to do anything fancy, just want emails to send again. Maybe it is not about the 2 factor thing, I don’t know. It was a guess, since outlook just started being unhappy out of the blue - not because I changed anything in gmail. I was thinking gmail no longer talks to outlook because it thinks it is not secure enough. If that’s not the case, I have no leads. All my settings match the ones gmail lists for outlook. That and I didn’t make any changes before this started happening. It just started throwing this error one day. The outlook error is 0x800ccc0e.

- Collapse -
Since it's gmail.

I usually head to the gmail web site next to see if everything is OK. Remember I can't pick out which article from https://www.google.com/search?q=0x800ccc0e&gl=US to use here. All I know is these things do tend to break because there are folk working on Outlook 365 and Gmail. Many of them have a bag of wrenches.

- Collapse -
Yeah

I’ve posted in gmail’s forum too and been through a bunch of their help articles. Thanks though.

- Collapse -
Sorry but I was unclear.
- Collapse -
Ok

Thanks

- Collapse -
Having the same problem

For several years now I've been using the same gmail account and app password with SMTP on my home security cameras to notify me of any movement. Typically I get several false positives a day so there's never a day that goes by that I don't get anything emailed to me. But this week -- I can't remember which day it started -- I noticed I was no longer getting emails. I hit the "test" button in my camera for sending a test notification to my email and it failed. Tried on all three cameras with the exact same credentials... failed. I generated a whole new app password and tried again... failed.

Lastly I tried setting up my emai account using the same credentials in Thunderbird mail client, but couldn't get it to work. I'm wondering if google changed something on their end recently. I haven't tried turning off 2 factor yet.

Please let me know if you find a solution or have other ideas on how to troubleshoot.

- Collapse -
Update to "Having the same problem"
- Collapse -
Answer
Resolved...

Go to your Google account, select "Security" and scroll down to "Turn ON less secure apps".

This worked for me on four gmail accounts that suddenly wouldn't connect in Outlook 365.

All now connect.

CNET Forums

Forum Info