Question

Outlook 2010 Not Receiving Emails

My wife has a HP 250 GS Notebook with a 2.00 GHz I3 processor and 4GB RAM. It is running Windows 10 Home 64 Bit Version 1803 Build 17134.228. This week there was a major Windows update and since then she has a problem receiving emails using Outlook 2010. All emails since then now appear in the program called Mail (which can be accessed by selecting the start button) which lists the new emails but there are none of the usual Outlook features – no extra folders like Sent, Deleted etc. and no Contacts listing. I selected Send/Receive in the normal Outlook window (which program is still there) and got an error message “Not Implemented” (which I have never seen before).
I tried a system restore to a date before the update and after an extended length of time I got the message that the System Restore was unable to restore the files and had failed.
My wife doesn’t want a complicated system and I would like to get Outlook to work life before i.e. the new emails appear there, and she can create and send emails.
Has anyone got any suggestions?
By the way, I sent this on my Windows 7 desktop working fine

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Outlook 2010 Not Receiving Emails
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Outlook 2010 Not Receiving Emails
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
This is one of those common issues.
- Collapse -
None of the Suggested Fixes Worked

First, my wife was not using W10 mail app and never had. She has always used Outlook 2010 which until Monday was working fine. The use of the mail app for the first time was only after the problem appeared as it was the only way to get her emails.
I tried the fixes in the link and none worked. I couldn't get to first base with some of them.
I will be visiting my computer guru tomorrow.

- Collapse -
Re: Outlook

Did you try repairing or uninstalling/reinstalling Outlook from Control Panel? Be sure to make a copy of the .pst-file before doing it.
It's the first thing I thought of, and the first thing suggested by https://www.google.com/search?q=outlook+"not+implemented" , so certainly worth a try.

- Collapse -
Can't Export PST Files

Thanks Kees for your suggestion. I had considered what you suggested but when I tried to export PST files in preparation for a re-install I got the "Not Implemented" error message

- Collapse -
Re: export

I didn't write "export", I wrote "copy". Copying a file is done in File Explorer.

It's not needed for a repair, and I doubt if it is needed for a full uninstall and reinstall, but it won't harm to have a backup copy.

But of course, you already make a regular backup of your .pst file? Then it's not necessary to make a another one, although it doesn't harm either. If you never made a backup, it seems you don't mind losing your mail, so then maybe there is no need to make that copy now.

- Collapse -
What A Mistake

I have always used Export when backing up Outlook files because you can select which folders you want to back up (I missed your use of the word copy).
We are very senior people and we don't have a real need to back up our Outlook folders, particularly the Inbox. It usually only contains friends' emails, store promotions and the usual round of jokes and videos that people send.
With regard to backups in general I am quite conscientious. Each night using an external SSD and 3 flash drives I back up to their respective backup folders all data files that have changed (using SyncBack). Every 2 weeks I take a full image of my computer using Acronis True Image
I have just delivered my wife's notebook to my computer guru.

- Collapse -
Problem Fixed

I have collected my wife's notebook from my computer guru and the problem has been fixed. He was somewhat cagey as to what the problem was and I am not sure what he actually did to fix it. All my wife's Inbox and Sent Folders retained their content and her Contacts lists were also OK so I doubt he did a re-install. However, there was a Microsoft message that Office 2010 was not activated. However, I had the product key and was able to activate the program with no fuss.

CNET Forums

Forum Info