HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Help forum

Resolved Question

Outlook 2010 exchange account ,,,,search not working propar

by zillah2004 / November 18, 2013 8:05 PM PST
zillah2004 has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Outlook 2010 exchange account ,,,,search not working propar
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Outlook 2010 exchange account ,,,,search not working propar
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by zillah2004

Collapse -
It Depends On How You Connect To Your Exchange Server
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / November 19, 2013 12:05 AM PST

The article you linked refers to "local" indexes that reside on a user's computer in the .pst file, etc.. For most exchange driven mail, the messages and indexes reside on the remote server and you may not have a local .pst file which contains your messages, therefore it can't be indexed.. If that's the case here, I suggest contacting the IT folks that maintain the exchange server and see if they have any advice.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
When I access OWA ( Outlook Web Access) and search for somet
by zillah2004 / November 19, 2013 3:55 AM PST

Hi All , thanks for your inputs

((For most exchange driven mail, the messages and indexes reside on the remote server))
When I access OWA ( Outlook Web Access) and search for something it gets displayed.....Shouldn't that indicate nothing wrong with indexing on the remote server ?

Regards

Collapse -
Re: local copy
by Kees_B Forum moderator / November 19, 2013 4:10 AM PST

It might be a configuration thing, but at work (using Windows 7/Outlook 2010 with an Exchange server) all mail folders on the server are replicated to an .ost-file on my laptop. So all searches are local.

Kees

Collapse -
OWA
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 19, 2013 5:26 AM PST

That's an entirely different animal from OL2010. We rarely deployed that for reasons well publicized. So your guess and google may be as good as mine but the IT staff should answer. It's what they get paid to do.
Bob

Collapse -
Our Exchange Creates Nothing Local...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / November 19, 2013 11:46 AM PST

....at least nothing that can be indexed, but yours may be different. (If we disconnect from the network, Outlook no longer works or shows anything, unless you allow it to show archived stuff, which DOES reside on the computer locally.) Contacting your Exchange folks should take care of it.. And as Bob pointed out, OWA is something totally different from Outlook 2010 connected to the Exchange.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Formating PC fixed the issue
by zillah2004 / November 29, 2013 7:59 PM PST

Hi All

Just to update you
Recently I formatted my laptopand installed fresh copy of windows and fresh copy of office, every thing working fine now, although I don't know which one fixed the issue formatting the laptop or installing fresh copy of office

Regards

Collapse -
Answer
It appears others have that issue too.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 19, 2013 12:15 AM PST
http://www.msofficeforums.com/outlook/18691-outlook-2010-exchange-account-search-not-working.html

"I had a lot of problems with the build in outlook search, I rebuilt the index different times, but nothing worked! So decided to use an external search tool for Outlook and voila everything works perfect now! Oh by the way the tool I decided for is Lookeen, small and easy in use!" (from your own link.)

As I don't have 2010 to test and you have an mail server it's time to let your IT loose on this one. As a workaround I have copied the sent folder to another folder to do a search there. Crude but worked so I chalked it up as another bug.

Now before you ask, Microsoft has never released source code so any bug fixing would be at their discretion.
Bob
Collapse -
Recanting a little.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 19, 2013 12:29 AM PST

As Grif noted it may not be a local copy. My workaround is just that and rather than call it a bug, it is likely a limitation.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.