Computer Help forum

General discussion

Outlook 2007 multiple messages received

by centaur6 / December 14, 2008 8:44 AM PST

I have been receiving the same message multiple times from my internet mail server on my laptop. when I send and receive the server sends three copies of each new message. what is causing this andd how do I fix it

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Outlook 2007 multiple messages received
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Outlook 2007 multiple messages received
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
"Leave Message On Server" Is Enabled?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / December 15, 2008 3:25 AM PST

See the link below to find where to UNCHECK the option to leave a message on the server.

By the way, if you haven't installed the most recent service pack for Office 2007, please do so.. It fixes a number of issues such as you are seeing.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
by jrsaba89 / July 1, 2009 7:24 PM PDT

I am having a problem where Outlook 2007 is showing me that the message failed to deliver however it is being recieved on the other side 7 times.
Whats happening???

Collapse -
More Information Please
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / July 2, 2009 1:42 AM PDT
In reply to: OUTLOOK 2007

Have you installed the latest service pack for Office 2007?

Which operating system are you using?

What type of mail service are you using? Exchange Server? POP3? Something else?

What type of mail client is the receiver using?

As it may be a problem with the receiver and NOT the sender, do other receivers of your mail have the same problem?

Hope this helps and let us know more.

Collapse -
Similar problem
by daveg955 / July 28, 2009 4:01 PM PDT

I'm having similar issues with a couple of computers at work. An email with an 8MB or larger attachment will get "stuck in the out box and send the message (with attachment) repeatedly... until the message is deleted from the out box.

I will reply to the questions you gave to the previous poster:

SP: Not sure if the latest SP is installed (I'm at home right now).
Mail: POP3
We have hundreds of different recipients; from individuals at home to employees at university and state government offices.

All computers in our office are on Vista Business and using Outlook 2007 (Office Pro). Not all computers are experiencing this problem. The apparent common factor with the problematic computers is the size of the attachment. The type of attachment (PDF, .doc, .xls) does not seem to matter. Our email server is not configured to limit the size of attachments.

I will check the SP on all computers in the morning. In the meantime, if you have any other suggestions/ideas, I'm all ears, er... eyes.

Collapse -
Normal Solution For Such
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / July 29, 2009 3:31 AM PDT
In reply to: Similar problem

Here's an article that might help in your situation.

Still, it's important to make sure you have an Exchange server or Exchange appliance that supports larger file sizes..Then...Make sure your Office 2007 installations have the most recent Service Pack installed and if that doesn't fix it....Don't send large email attachments.. Generally, although Outlook 2007 doesn't impose any size limits for attachments, 5 MB is the effective "Best Practice" size limit indicated by Microsoft Exchange support. It's common for Outlook to freeze when sending messages with such large sizes. Our server has a 10 MB size limit but when older, slower machines attempt to send large attachments, they frequently don't get the job done.

As long as the server supports such large sizes, can some machines handle the larger file sizes? Yes.. But is it a best practice??.. Not really. Here's an article about it:

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
Adjust time-outs
by psbridge / July 7, 2010 12:59 AM PDT

When sending an email with a largish attachment (even 1MB+) it may time-out (or think it has) then try to re-send it, resulting in repeated sends that don't actually register in the Sent folder. (See if you get error message 0x8004210B). To fix this in Outlook 2007 go to Tools/Account Settings and double click on the Name of the account to Change. More Settings. Advanced tab. Server time-outs is probably set to 1 minute. Try increasing with slider - max. is 10 minutes, but maybe 5 will be enough. This was all I needed to do to fix the problem I'd had for weeks. If you dig far enough you'll also find a reference to this in

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?