Office & Productivity Software forum

Question

Outlook 2007 cannot send email

by wildbird / August 6, 2015 11:34 AM PDT

My notebook can send and receive email but my desktop cannot send but receive email. My email account is username@msn.com. I have been using this account many years without any problems but the problem started after upgrade to Windows 10. Notebook is Windows 7 it is still working but the Desktop Windows 10 Pro has problem of sending email. I uninstalled the Office 2007 and re installed again but the email account is always same. It does not solve the problem.

I have been looking many hours to solve this problem on the Internet at the end I am here.

Please give me some advice to fix this problem.

It could be an old question but I cannot find it, sorry.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Outlook 2007 cannot send email
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Outlook 2007 cannot send email
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
What you didn't tell is your post Office 2007 setup steps.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 6, 2015 11:52 AM PDT
Collapse -
by wildbird / August 7, 2015 3:54 AM PDT

Thank you for the link.
The following is the way I setup Outlook:

Auto Account Setup:
Your name: xxxxx
E-mail Address: ......@msn.com
Password: zzzzz
Retype Password: zzzzz

When I did this it cannot finish the setup. So I manually configured.

Manually configure server settings or additional server types:

Internet E-mail:
Connect your POP, IMAP, or HTTP server to send and receive e-mail messages.

Microsoft Exchange:
Connect to Microsoft Exchange for access to your email, calendar, contacts, faxes and voice mail.

Other:
Connect to a server type show below.
Microsoft Outlook Hotmail Connector
Outlook Mobile Service (Text Messaging)

I chose "Microsoft Outlook Hotmail Connector"

Next:
Microsoft Outlook Hotmail Connector

Windows Live Hotmail Settings:
User Information:
Your Name: xxxx
E-mail Address: ......@msn.com
Password: zzzzz
Remember password : checked
OK
Advanced

The E-mail Account you have just added will not start until you choose Exit from the File menu, and then restart Microsoft office Outlook.
OK
Congratulations!
You have successfully entered all the information required to setup your account.
To close the wizard, click Finish.
Finish
Configuring Outlook:
Configuring Outlook Accounts
Outlook, Windows Internet Explorer, and other applications save lists of RSS Feeds that you subscribe to.

The Common Feed List in Microsoft Windows maintains one synchronized list of RSS Feeds. Do you want your RSS Feeds in Outlook to be synchronized with the Common Feed
Yes, No, Remind Me Later

I followed the instruction and Exit Outlook from the File menu

I restart Outlook

It started Send/Receive
It downloaded Inbox, Sent Items, Deleted Items and Drafts without any issue.

My e-mails are since 2009

I tried to send a new e-mail and then the same problem back. I got error message:
Task '....@msn.com' - Sending' reported error (0x899CCE05) : 'Unknown Error 0x800EEE05
'
New message remains in the Outbox

The same setup I did to my Notebook Windows 7 has no problem.

Thanks

Collapse -
Stil no solution
by wildbird / August 7, 2015 11:12 AM PDT
In reply to: do it manually

I followed the instruction but still having problem.

Test Account Settings...

"Outlook is testing the account settings you entered
Type your user name and Password
Server pop3.live.com
User : ....@msn.com
Password : .........."

Again and again the above message is pop up even though the password is correct.

I am not sure but I think this problem could be related to Windows 10. A couple of programs have strange problems such as You Cam 7 has problem of high resolution and missing .MP4 format and PowerDVD 15 Ultra has problem of smooth playing Blu ray but Power DVD 14 has no problem. My Notebook Windows 7 has no problems.

Thanks for the links.

Collapse -
Time to try live.com's imap setting.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 7, 2015 11:22 AM PDT
In reply to: Stil no solution

Also I read that Server Port Numbers are not stock if you use Pop3. I am not reading where you checked those out.

Collapse -
Thanks
by wildbird / August 8, 2015 4:48 AM PDT

Thank you all for your advice and links. The problem is the Windows 10 because I reinstalled Windows 7 and setup the e-mail accounts it worked but after I upgrade (not clean install) it does not work. Still looking for some advice to fix this problem.
Thanks

Collapse -
As long as we can't see all your settings.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 8, 2015 10:00 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks

You may think it's the OS but one may have the right server and port settings the other may not. Also, to run say Office 2003 which works I have to install the Office 2003 Service Pack before I try to use Outlook.

You may need to do same for Outlook 2007 but I have yet to hear/read that requirement.

Again, I don't see you checking all the email settings. I wonder if email is dead at times when we have to check every setting. That is, how can we expect folk to sift through ports, SSL and more today?

Collapse -
what email accounts?
by James Denison / August 8, 2015 11:06 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks

ones at microsoft, or elsewhere?

Collapse -
Replies
by wildbird / August 12, 2015 12:29 AM PDT
In reply to: what email accounts?

I tried several servers such as Microsoft Outlook Connector (still it works with Windows 7 Ultimate), pop3.live.com, smtp.live.com and dub406-m.hotmail.com I followed all the instructions I have read. All of them except the Outlook Connector have problems of sending e-mails. During the account setup the Test Account Settings were successful but cannot send e-mails.

I reinstalled Windows 7 Ultimate on the Desktop and tried the Microsoft Outlook Connector it worked. I upgrade to Windows 10 Pro, it failed to send and I reinstalled (clean installed) Windows 10 Pro it failed too.

Right now what I do is I created the same account .....@msn.com with Windows 10 Mail and it sends and receives e-mails, within a few seconds the sent and received e-mails downloaded to the Outlook Inbox and Sent Folders it is the best solution for my problem right now.

Thank you all for your efforts to fix this problem.

Collapse -
Problem solve
by wildbird / August 17, 2015 3:51 AM PDT
In reply to: Replies

Today again I Googled for the problem and found this link Windows 10 and Outlook

The send error message I got was different from the link but I followed the instructions:

"Right click on the Start button of Windows and choose: Command Prompt (Admin).

If you don’t see this, instead choose: Windows PowerShell (Admin)
Behind the prompt type: sfc /scannow
(note the space in the command)

1. Right click on the Start button of Windows and choose: Command Prompt (Admin).
If you don’t see this, instead choose: Windows PowerShell (Admin)

2. Behind the prompt type: sfc /scannow
(note the space in the command)

3. Wait until the process completes. This usually doesn’t take longer than 20 minutes with a regular hard disk and takes much shorter when you have a fast SSD drive.

4. Restart your computer."

Now I am able to send e-mails. Just I sent two e-mails.

I never knew this sf /scannow , it may fix other problems too.

Thanks

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!