Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Office & Productivity Software forum

General discussion

Outlook 2007 - Calendar Freezes

by outlook07 / October 22, 2008 1:10 PM PDT

I have been running Outlook with a Comcast pop3 account for a little while now, but I recently changed my settings to forward my Comcast pop3 account to a Gmail imap account and then added the Gmail imap account to Outlook for better mobility...

I then moved all the emails and info from the pop3 account (which is stored in the outlook.pst file) to the new Gmail imap account so i can have everything in one place and continue working smoothly...i then compacted the outlook.pst file since now my emails were on my imap account...

Everything is working perfect as far as the pop3 and imap...emails work great...if i go to Contacts, Notes, Tasks, etc, everything runs smoothly...but for some reason when i go to view my Calendar, Outlook freezes every single time and i end up going to the task manager to shut it down...

In my task manager, my CPU usage goes to 100% in the Performance Tab and in the Applications Tab it shows Outlook TWICE and they both say "Not Responding"...

Can anyone help me as to how i can fix this...is the .pst file damaged?...I tried to uninstall Outlook, but when i reinstalled it all the settings were as if i just closed Outlook and reopened it, it looked exactly the same...

Thank you for taking the time to read this and your feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Outlook 2007 - Calendar Freezes
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Outlook 2007 - Calendar Freezes
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Experiment.
by Kees Bakker / October 22, 2008 5:19 PM PDT

Find your .pst file. Move it to a save place. Run Outlook again. Outlook creates a new .pst-file. You should see an empty calender. Add a few items. Look. Close Outlook and reopen. Look.

If Outlook loops somewhere, you found a bug. Report that to Microsoft and they might solve it in the next service pack.

If it works now, import your old calender into your new working .pst file and see what happens.

Please post your findings.

Kees

Collapse -
RE: Experiment
by outlook07 / October 23, 2008 4:06 AM PDT
In reply to: Experiment.

First of all thank you for your feedback and advice!

So i ran through the steps you mentioned, creating a new .pst file and emails were working smooth and Outlook was smooth...I then imported my Contacts and things were still ok...I went on to import my Calendar and it went in, but when i went to click to go to the Calendar, it froze again...

At this point i know the .pst file is corrupted or damaged, so i tried a diff method stemming from your initial advice...

I downloaded and ran Google Calendar Sync which i got from download.com...although my Calendar was "off limits" in Outlook, the program was still able to sync my Outlook Calendar to my Gmail Calendar (luckily!)

When that finished syncing, i exited/turned off Google Calendar Sync...went back and saved the original outlook.pst file in a diff location AS YOU MENTIONED INITIALLY (key step!)...I then opened Outlook again, created a NEW outlook.pst file and Outlook was working again as new with the imap emails but still empty of the Calendar and Contacts...

Therefore, I then turned Google Calendar Sync back on and it added everything back onto my Outlook calendar since it was now also on my Gmail calendar...so my calendar info was now on the NEW outlook.pst file and it was working smooth, did not freeze...

However, when going to import my Contacts again, I was now worried the Contacts file might be damaged or corrupted too, so i took the precaution and created a new contacts file from my laptop (a diff comp) where i also ran outlook and my imap emails...i took that new contacts file and imported it into my new outlook.pst file and it went in smooth too...

now Outlook works clean and everything is back to normal on my desktop...the key step was definitely creating that new outlook.pst file and starting over/fresh...thank you so much for that...

Thanks again for all your help!

Collapse -
You're welcome. Thanks for posting back.
by Kees Bakker / October 23, 2008 4:15 AM PDT
In reply to: RE: Experiment

A good job you did.

I didn't have any indication of the cause, of course. But my guess was that it wasn't a bug in Outlook, so some corruption. Just a guess that turned out correctly.

Kees

Collapse -
Thanks a bunch
by helgemo / December 14, 2009 5:50 AM PST
In reply to: RE: Experiment

Just wanted to demonstrate my sincere appreciation to this posting. I have been searching for an answer now for two months on and off and finally I found the solution!

Tnx again!

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!