HolidayBuyer's Guide

Office & Productivity Software forum

General discussion

Outlook 2003- Outlook stop responding when replying a messga

by jspilaps / March 14, 2007 7:58 AM PDT

I have this problem in Microsoft outlook 2003 installed in windows 2000 operating system. It is actually an intermittent problem, I had already reinstalled microsoft office and download all the MS update and office patches, redo the user profile and redo the outlook prfile as well, and it will work for a while but in a day or two the problem will occur again.

I search in microsoft website for some fix but unfortunately I can't find related exactly to my problem. Any help is very much appreciated and thanks in advance!

TY,

JP

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Outlook 2003- Outlook stop responding when replying a messga
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Outlook 2003- Outlook stop responding when replying a messga
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Not sure what the problem is
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 14, 2007 9:09 AM PDT

All we got from your post is;

"Outlook 2003- Outlook stop responding when replying a messga"

Can you explain more?

Mark

Collapse -
MS outlook 2003 replying an email problem
by jspilaps / March 15, 2007 2:45 AM PDT

Ok...as I said I have a windows 2000 machine with MS office 2003 installed. In outlook I experience and intermittent problem when replying an email message, I can open an email but when I hit the reply tab it stop responding with the message that it opening the email editor which is the MS word and can't even close it rather than going to the task manager. I don't think it is the outlook email configuration because I compare it with the other working pc.

I already redo the user and outlook profile and reinstall the application but as I said it will only work for a while and it still a problem.

I already downloaded all the patches for bot the OS and the ms office but this did not solve the problem.

Collapse -
Just an idea that helped in OL2000.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 15, 2007 3:08 AM PDT

We set all replies to be in Plain Text. This promptly strips any html code so we work around any funny games that html will play on us.

Bob

Collapse -
Outlook stops responding when replying to E-mail
by alswilling / November 2, 2009 11:26 AM PST

>>We set all replies to be in Plain Text. This promptly strips any html code so we work around any funny games that html will play on us.
Bob<<

WOW! Talk about an arrogant, dismissive non-answer to a question! I was looking for the answer to a similar problem with my Outlook client running on XP-SP2; 512MB RAM; Several GB of hard drive space; and a Pentium 4, 2.53GHz processor; but I obviously came to the wrong place!

I don't want to hear about how your client is set up unless you have had and solved the same problem for which I am seeking help. Like the person you blew off, I'm looking for answers as to why Outlook, which is clearly designed to handle HTML--and handles it fine in previous versions--under certain circumstances stops responding and requires using Task Manager to close the program and if there are any patches or other solutions to the problem.

What happens is that, when responding to an e-mail, suddenly the cursor will begin flickering rapidly and incessantly, and the program freezes. The flickering cursor continues until the program is stopped using Task Manager, which sometimes takes three or four minutes.

In my case, it seems to be associated with the installation of IE8. Before IE8 was installed, I never had the problem, but IE7 is a crappy browser. Fortunately, I use Firefox and don't have to deal with IE's problems; but when it interferes with programs that have never before given any problems whatsoever, it's time to do something; so it seems that I'm going to have to uninstall IE8 and go back to crappy old IE7 and hope that everything goes back to normal.

So, thanks for nothing, there Bob.

I intended to just leave the site when I saw that CNET didn't have an answer; but I couldn't exit this site without commenting on your reply to someone who came to CNET--a trusted Web site with a good reputation for helping people solve their computing problems--for help. Frankly I was surprised at your attitude and response to the question.

No need to post a response to this post. I just wanted you to know that I will never give CNET another hit or another minute of my time because of your attitude. You can bet that, for every person who responds the way I did, there are a few hundred others who will just abandon CNET forever without a word of response. After this is posted, if there's a way to cancel my account at CNET, I will do that, as well as cancel the newsletter that I have received for a few years now.

Perhaps you are just too arrogant to care, but I have no tolerance for arrogant, self-important smart alecs.

Collapse -
Seems like a different problem.
by Kees Bakker / November 3, 2009 4:44 PM PST

1. Not responding when opening MS Word as editor.
2. Flickering cursor and hang when replying (so obviously the editor has started).

Different OS (Windows 2000 versus XP SP2). Is it the same version of Outlook (2003)?

I have no such problems with Outlook 2007 and IE8 here. So I assume something else is wrong. Could be malware, could be an add-on to Outlook or even to IE, could be your virus and malware protection software. Could be something in the Outlook settings or Windows account settings also. Keep searching, and you'll find it. If not, a clean install of the OS should certainly help.

Best of luck,

Kees

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.