Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

Outlook 2003 and Outlook Connector now not accessing Hotmail

by Rivergoat / July 30, 2009 1:11 PM PDT

Have pretty much the same system in desktop and laptop (Windows XP sp3, Outlook 2003, newest Outlook Connector, not the 12.1 beta, however). Just starting using Connector a couple of days ago with Hotmail account. Still seems to be working OK on laptop, but desktop began asking for log-in/password for the MAPI Hotmail account; after delete and re-install of Connector, continually reporting "network connection interrupted" (this has no effect on POP accounts, as they access just fine). Have seen other posts on other forums from similar users, but no definitive answer. So far my laptop continues to access Hotmail via Outlook 2003 just fine. Both systems use the same connection to access the net. Looking for a viable solution, is Connector simply flaky, or is there something I should look at more closely on the desktop? TIA

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Outlook 2003 and Outlook Connector now not accessing Hotmail
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Outlook 2003 and Outlook Connector now not accessing Hotmail
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Hotmail is history.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 30, 2009 10:25 PM PDT

Not to duplicate what you already know but MSFT has been sending out smoke signals that Hotmail is being retired. Not going to allow any bad posts about that but you need to move to other email systems now.

That connector can be thwarted by many things, firewalls, UAC and even MFST.
Bob

Collapse -
Re: History
by Rivergoat / July 30, 2009 11:06 PM PDT
In reply to: Hotmail is history.

Well, yes, I had read of it coming to an end at some time, I had been trying to make this work in the meantime. The interesting thing is that I got "support" from Microsoft who directed me to a page with a 12.1 release of Connector, not a beta. Clicking on the download link results in a "content encoding error" and inability to do anything else. Yes, certainly fine support.

When Microsoft and Yahoo team up, will Yahoo mail be a part of the system, and be able to be synced with Outlook without using a paid Yahoo-plus account?

Collapse -
I'm going with no.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 31, 2009 2:08 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: History

MSFT still has a product called Exchange Server to sell. Also they have their "Live" products to migrate everyone to. Here I use my ISP, gmail, and yahoo just fine. If ypops (search for that) doesn't work then ask the author of ypops why. I think there is a hotpopper too but you should be able to find both and their authors to ask more.
Bob

Collapse -
to continue...
by Rivergoat / July 31, 2009 5:48 AM PDT
In reply to: I'm going with no.

Yeah, I tried YPOPs!, but all it did was suck up CPU time to 100% and not do much else. Maybe I could try again at a later time (I tried it on the desktop 3 different installs withthe same result); perhaps Yahoo wants more people to sign up for a paid "plus" account to get POP configs?

I have put in Live Mail, and it has a similar window look to Outlook, and even DOES capture my hotmail; I could live with that ap along with Outlook if I need to. On Live...how do I get my contacts to populate? I created a CSV from Outlook and uploaded to the Live server, but on my local machine I still didn't see contacts. Maybe after a reboot, but I needed to leave it until later.

As for Connector, MSFT got back to me to say he (the tech rep) was out of his league and didn't know anything else to try (surprise...), but said it would be escalated to other levels. It will be interesting to see if it's resolved. I've seen postings of others with the same problem, but nowhere has there been a definitive answer/cure. And the odd thing is it's working fine on my laptop last I checked (and that's with same OS, Outlook, anti-virus and firewall settings, even same broadband connection).

Collapse -
Ypop CPU usage.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 31, 2009 5:59 AM PDT
In reply to: to continue...

I recall that happening when the machine has overlapping security softwares. Such as Norton and Adaware. There are far too many toxic combinations so I'll note one and leave it at that.

I think you see clearly where all these companies are going.
Bob

Collapse -
Too many chiefs
by Rivergoat / July 31, 2009 11:31 AM PDT
In reply to: Ypop CPU usage.

Indeed, I've seen conflicts with viral and ad protection, and lordy knows what else. I run AVG's protection software in both, no Norton. As a weird quirk I thought of something to try...I'll see what happens and post if successful.

Collapse -
Update....
by Rivergoat / August 1, 2009 9:34 AM PDT
In reply to: Too many chiefs

Well now...mind you I said Connector WAS working on the desktop,then started having connection interrupt errors. I checked how my laptop's firewall settings are configured and did notice a few Windows components present that were not in the desktop; whether they play a role I cannot be sure, but I added those to the desktop, reinstalled Outlook Connector, and whoo-hoo, it started working again Happy Using Outlook for all the mail is much easier to me.

Hmmm, if this is the right fix (time will tell), let's see what MSFT says back to me when 2nd level support reports on their fix....

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.