General discussion

Outlook 2000 with AOL as ISP

On my desktop I use Outlook 2000 with a non-AOL email account (my business web site via Yahoo Small Business services).

However I have AOL on my laptop, using it for an ISP only (for now still need dial up access sometimes).

I've been trying to configure Outlook 2000 on my laptop send/receive that "Yahoo" email through the AOL smtp, to no avail (I can receive but not send). Checking around the web, it seems that AOL doesn't offer smtp access for sending mail, with some speculating that it is either due to their spam blockers or desire to lock people into their email.

Is this true, or is there a workaround?

And if not a workaround with AOL, can I switch to something like MSN or other dial-up ISP and use their smtp to send email that is not part of their proprietary system?

In advance, thanks!

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Outlook 2000 with AOL as ISP
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Outlook 2000 with AOL as ISP
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Tcw, It May Be Yahoo Mail's Issue...Do You...

...have the special "Yahoo Mail Plus" package that allows for POP3 downloads? Their standard webmail does not support POP3/SMTP downloads to e-mail clients like Outlook. You need to pay an extra $19.99 a year for "Yahoo Mail Plus" to have that option.

Click on the link below to read about it:

http://mail.yahoo.com/?.intl=us

Hope this helps.

Grif

- Collapse -
Thanks, but that's not it

Grif,

Thanks, but that's not my problem.

I have the website through Yahoo as web host, and it includes email and I've been downloading into Outlook on my desktop with no problem (over a cable modem).

My problem comes when trying to do the same thing via AOL as an ISP on my laptop.

- Collapse -
AOL will work

AOL has never been able to be configured with other e-mail clients because AOL does not use SMTP, AOL is in a world of it's own. About 1yr. ago things changed and AOL now has IMAP and that will let you configure it with another e-mail client. Go to keyword IMAP and on the right click on the e-mail client you want to use AOL with and it will give step by step instructions for setting it up. I tried it with outlook express at first and it worked fine. I have been using it with incredimail for about 6 months now and that also works fine. Hope this helps. If you need more help with it you can post on the helps boards within AOL and someone can give you further info.

- Collapse -
Thanks

Mary,

Thanks, I'll give it a try ...

- Collapse -
Didn't work

Mary,

Didn't work.

The IMAP directions on AOL apply to sending / receiving AOL mail through Outlook, not non-AOL mail through outlook via AOL as the ISP.

Thanks anyway ...

- Collapse -
Sorry

I guess I didn't understand what you wanted to do but I think I understand now and since AOL is different it probably can't be done but I would ask on the AOL help boards just to make sure there isin't some third party software for this or something. AOL does work quite nicely to send and receive through other programs though and I like the fact I can use a ton of different animated e-mail backgrounds.

CNET Forums

Forum Info