Computer Help forum

General discussion

Outgoing email duplicates

by pepaul110 / September 10, 2005 1:57 AM PDT

I have a Compaq Presario 6400NX running XP Home. It has 40 Gig Hard drive and 352 MB of DDR RAM. I use Outlook Express and have never had any problems until a month ago. I ran McAfee virus scan weekly with no viruses reported and changed to ZoneAlarm anti virus on mid-August, again running it weekly with no viruses reported. I have had ZoneAlarm firewall for 3 years. I checked my ISP, Cox.net (cable)and they said they had no problems and the sample emails I sent them came through singly, not in duplicate as most of my email corresponders report back to me.

I have checked all my connections and setups on email and they match the requirements of my ISP. I am not an expert in computer science and this problem is perplexing the hell out of me!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Outgoing email duplicates
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Outgoing email duplicates
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Same Problem
by mejerry / September 10, 2005 2:16 AM PDT

Unfortunately, I offer to help. I have the same problem but using Outlook. It doesn't happen all the time, but I'd still like to find out why. I have Trend Micro anti-virus and firewall and sometimes I use my own smtp server. Doesn't seem to make any difference.

Collapse -
Not your system
by cnutter_the_2nd / September 10, 2005 3:17 AM PDT

When you send an email, it will often times pass through anywhere from two to a dozen different mail relays before it gets to where its going. From the sound of things, one of those relays, which apparently a good chunk of your mail goes through, is misconfigured and duplicating your messages.

Moral of the story here is, it's probably someone else's fault, and there's nothing you can do about it. The problem exists outside of your system, and your ISP's systems from the sound of things. If you want to try and find out which relay it is exactly... Best of luck to you. You're going to need every little bit you can get.

The only possible solution you have, is to switch to using web mail programs like Hotmail or Gmail. With any luck, the relays used to get messages from those servers to wherever they need to go, won't cross the path of the duplicating relay. In either case, you shouldn't be using Outlook Express. Spammers LOVE it when people use Outlook Express. It's lax security makes their lives much easier. Outlook isn't much better. There are dozens of email programs out there. I'd suggest finding one, and using it instead. Before I moved to using Gmail more or less exclusively, I tended to prefer Mozilla Thunderbird.

Collapse -
Agreed AND another cause...
by Edward ODaniel / September 10, 2005 6:45 AM PDT
In reply to: Not your system

can be the configuration of the recipient's mail client.

Some can be configured to "Leave a copy on the server" and also to "Download all messages" which sometimes includes already downLoaded ones.

If a recipient is using GMAIL and has configured it to download to his/her POP client a careless setting in GMAIL will cause duplicate message downloads.

Collapse -
It won't harm ...
by Kees Bakker / September 10, 2005 4:51 AM PDT

to compress all your Outlook Express folders (File>Folder>Compact all folders). Also, if your Sent items file is very large, create some folders to move the message to that you want to save.

Kees

Collapse -
double click ?
by momule / September 17, 2005 7:40 AM PDT

It just may be as simple as you double clicking the send button instead of clicking one time.

check it out by sending yourself a couple test messages.....

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!