Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Out of memory

by briadea / September 29, 2005 11:03 PM PDT

I get into a cold sweat when my Windows XP sends me the message: Low Video memory". I don't know what to do next. I thought with 512 Ram, and a 100gig hard disk, where is my memeory lacking?
What can I do to prevent this?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Out of memory
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Out of memory
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Memory not being released
by Mojo_58 / September 30, 2005 12:22 AM PDT
In reply to: Out of memory

Windows never did use memory very well. Simple things like a screensaver running for an hour or so will use up all a computer's memory. Computer peeps call this a memory leak.

There isn't any way to repair a memory leak apart from installing a different OS. Rebooting will fix your problem for a little while. You can also get a third party memory manager but those in my experience use up memory to make a smaller portion of memory work better.

If your program is indeed a memory hog...you can open the task manager and sort the processes by memory useage. This will give you an indication of how much memory your app is using. If your app is using more than half of your 512MB you should seriously think about add more RAM...commonly called throwing memory at the problem or as IBM is advertising now throwing money at it.

You might also want to increase the size of your page file as well. The optimum size of a page file has spawned more tech talk arguements than I'd care to mention. I'd say %130 to %175 but you can set the size of your page file as high or low as you like. Keep in mind that access times on a hard drive are 1000 times slower than RAM. For 512 MB of memory 750MB page file would be suitable. To get to virtual memory settings...go to the control panel and select the system icon. On the performance tab you will see a virtual memory button. Put the sizes in and click set. I typically set the sizes the same.

That's the cliff notes version of memory management. Hope this helps your issue.

Edward Fox

Collapse -
page file
by briadea / October 2, 2005 7:37 AM PDT

Edward, my page file size was 768 megs. I don't know whether reducing it to 750 megs will be beneficial or not.

Thank you for your really learned technical reply. Since submitting my problem to this forum, I have not had any out of memory messages. Weird.

Collapse -
RE:
by Cursorcowboy / September 30, 2005 12:28 AM PDT
I don't know what to do next. I thought with 512 Ram, and a 100gig hard disk, where is my memeory lacking?

What are you doing when this happens, [Q321641]?
Collapse -
what am I doing when the memory leaks out"
by briadea / October 2, 2005 7:27 AM PDT
In reply to: RE:

It happens no matter what program I am currently using. I really cannot recall all the programs, as it only happens now and again. I will note it next time it occurs and see what I was doing.

Thanks for your input RE.

Collapse -
You specifically referred to VIDEO memory.
by Ray Harinec / September 30, 2005 12:43 AM PDT

Sounds as if you have onboard video. This type of video chip takes its memory from the main banks of RAM.

Check in your BIOS. In there do you have the option to select the amount of memory allowed for video use?? If you are at the maximum then you may want to install an AGP cerd.

It is POSSIBLE that adding more RAM can help. If you have 512 MB of RAM, but the video is using 128 MB of it, you really don't have 5112 for the OpSys to use.

While most say that 512 MB is about the most cost effective size for Win XP, please understand that if you have more, the Op System will use much of the extra for caching. POSSIBLY, if XP can have more memory and cache more more, rather than use virtual memory, it MIGHT help the video to run easier.

Collapse -
Is Netmeeting running?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 30, 2005 12:48 AM PDT

"This error message can also occur if Microsoft NetMeeting is started or if the NetMeeting icon is on your taskbar. NetMeeting and DVD playback both use the overlay mixer. Only one program at a time can gain access to the overlay mixer."

There must be an article that lists XP and this tidbit, but I can't find it. The Windows 2003 article will have to do.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/327994/wishforfish

Bob

Collapse -
Netmeeting
by briadea / October 2, 2005 7:28 AM PDT
In reply to: Is Netmeeting running?

Bob, thnaks for your reply. I do not use Netmeeting. It is not installed in my computer as far as I know. If it is there, I don't know it and don't use it.

Collapse -
The Paging File
by Themisive / October 3, 2005 8:55 PM PDT
In reply to: Netmeeting

is Windows virtual RAM, and generally it is about 1.5 times the total RAM. Go to Contol Panel/System on the Advanced page, go to Perfomance and then Settings.

Select "For best performance, do not set the initial size to less than the minimum recommended size under Total paging file size for all drives. The recommended size is equivalent to 1.5 times the amount of RAM on your system. Usually, you should leave the paging file at its recommended size, although you might increase its size if you routinely use programs that require a lot of memory".

If you get this problem often, the answer may be to increase the settings in the virtual RAM settings manually and/or buy more RAM.

Collapse -
Out of memory
by AlohaKona / October 5, 2005 4:06 AM PDT
In reply to: The Paging File

I'm not a computer expert, but do you think it might help if you unchecked some of the programs you do not necessary need on start up? Start: Run type in msconfig and uncheck programs. If you're not sure of the programs, type the name on google search, it should tells you if it's a ''MUST'' run programs.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!