HolidayBuyer's Guide

Laptops forum

General discussion

Our Experience w/ Alienware

by sysadm / March 5, 2005 3:45 AM PST

I just was scanning my CNET email when I saw Alienware and jumped into reading ALL the posts before responding. My son begged for a laptop by Alienware for graduation(2003)---I was hesitant because of price and the fact I had never heard of them. I insisted on the longest warranty they offered (3 years) since he was going to be in college for at least 4....

The purchase process was the worst. We ordered and waited...and waited...and waited. No computer, no contact. My son finally called--what's up? Where's my machine? They said they couldn't verify my credit card!!! Everything went through fine and we didn't get any errors but I had to FAX a copy of my credit card AND my driver's license to them. Finally it shipped but we still didn't get delivery!!! So we called again! Where's the machine? Sitting at the Fed-Ex distribution center in our city. I finally had to DRIVE there to pick it up-----The Alienware shipping department neglected to put THE STREET NAME IN THE ADDRESS!!!!!! I called them again, demanding refund of shipping charges (I didn't like the fact they ONLY offered FED-EX). They refused...after much arguing with a guy that didn't speak very good English, I was able to get a 50% refund of shipping.

I do have to say that my son had to send it in for a repair--good thing we saved the boxes. It took over 2 weeks and I can't speak to what the repair was as I don't remember but can't say that I'm real impressed with them. Any new purchase my son makes will be on his own!

I am responsible for purchasing machines for my company and I've run the spectrum on brands and have settled on IBM. Have only had one problem with a tower that the mother board kept blowing--they've replaced it twice (blew again!) and I did finally go through the formal complaint process to demand a new machine to replace it. It has taken almost 3 months and replacement machine is supposed to be on the way.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Our Experience w/ Alienware
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Our Experience w/ Alienware
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.