Question

oulook mail

My desktop has been hit by virus and I need to access my outlook mail on another desktop-how do I do that? Newbie

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: oulook mail
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: oulook mail
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
Should be relatively easy

It is the same way you set it up before.

You will need Outlook on the other machine so I assume you have checked that, and then I would head over to your ISP's web site and look for guidance and instructions on how to setup email in Outlook. Most ISP's have this now.

You will need your username, (often your email address), and email account password.

Mark

- Collapse -
Answer
Depends On Whether It's An Exchange Service or POP3

First, let's make sure you're referring to Microsoft Outlook and NOT Outlook Express.. They're two different things and it needs to be clarified by you.

If the MS Outlook mail is stored on an Exchange service, then yes, simply set up Outlook on a second machine, connect it to the Exchange using the correct settings, and you'll see your Exchange mail.

On the other hand, if you're using Outlook from a POP3 account from your Internet Service Provider, AND you've downloaded your mail to your computer, then it's going to be a little more difficult..

First, if your ISP has internet mail, you should be able to connect to your ISP's website, then use the Internet Mail to send and receive messages. You won't be seeing any messages that have been downloaded to your computer from the server but you'll be able to send and receive from the internet.

Next, if you want to retrieve those messages to a second machine, you'll need to remove the hard drive from the infected computer and copy the Outlook message file (usually Outlook.pst) to the clean computer, then open it using Outlook.

Of course, you haven't explained what you've done to clean up the computer.. We might be able to remove the virus IF you give us more information about the operating system, make and mode., and what you've already done to clean out the infection.

Hope this helps and let us know more.

Grif

CNET Forums