General discussion

OTA HDTV - Antenna / Quality of Image?

I just bought a mitsu 52525 ($2750 at Best Buy after tax - great deal) Anyway, I'm using the built in HD Tuner and have a Cheesy $9 antenna from Walmart. The image of an HD signal comes in but has some video noise, not digital blocks from a bad signal just a little noise and maybe not as sharp as I expected or saw at the store. Could this improve with a better antenna and is there also a way to know what the HDTV mode of the broadcast is, ie. 720p/i or 1080i on this Mitsu TV? The TV just says HD16:9.
Any help would be appreciated, Thanks!!!

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: OTA HDTV - Antenna / Quality of Image?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: OTA HDTV - Antenna / Quality of Image?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
HDTV signal

Hi,

A couple of questions:

1. Are you sure that the TV has an HD tuner? Many 16x9 sets only have a traditional NTSC tuner.. If the set can truly receive HD, you will see the HD signal on a channel such as 7.1 (or 7.2 or 7.3) if your local non HD (same station) is channel 7. As far as antennas are concerned, the HD (digital) picture is either there and very pristine, or not there. No fading in and out and no noise. The only thing a better (rooftop) antenna will give you is either additional stations or a more solid picture. If you can receive the HD now on the stations that you want, a new antenna won't be any technical benefit.

Hope that this info helps...

Bob

- Collapse -
HDTV signal

Hi,

A couple of questions:

1. Are you sure that the TV has an HD tuner? Many 16x9 sets only have a traditional NTSC tuner.. If the set can truly receive HD, you will see the HD signal on a channel such as 7.1 (or 7.2 or 7.3) if your local non HD (same station) is channel 7. As far as antennas are concerned, the HD (digital) picture is either there and very pristine, or not there. No fading in and out and no noise. The only thing a better (rooftop) antenna will give you is either additional stations or a more solid picture. If you can receive the HD now on the stations that you want, a new antenna won't be any technical benefit.

To answer the 720P/1080i question....

CBS, NBC, and PBS use 1080i. ABC and Fox use 720p. Many local stations also use 1080i. From the viewer's perspective, there is no difference. The TV (if it is truly a high def tuner set) will automatically go to the correct format. You won't be able to tell the difference on your screen.

Hope that this info helps...

Bob

- Collapse -
Thanks for the info...

Thanks Bob for your help.
I actually could see a difference in PQ with PBS than CBS last night. PBS seemed crisper with better tones and less noise. I did notice some audio sync problems with Still Standing and some echoing. Maybe this is a sign I need a better antenna?
Anyway, love th TV and can't wait to calibrate it to get the best picture possible.

Thanks again,

JC

- Collapse -
re

go to your local lowes and get their roof top antenna, if you don't want to put it on your roof get it anyways and put it in your attic and buy the power booster to go with it.

We watch the daytona 500 sun with the antenna in high def on the 52525 and it was great

- Collapse -
Which one?

There are 3 Channel Master Antennas: 3016, 3018, 3020
Each with a different range of reception. Supposedly I am about 20 miles from the towers and have a second story room with NOTHING arount me. Our house looks like a big pimple because of nothing being around us so this should work nicely.
The booster, is i tthe $60 power amplifier?

Thanks,

- Collapse -
get this one...

I assume you checked out antennaweb.org to see how far away your transmission towers are... since everything is around 20 miles, and since you might be putting it in the attic (I did, it works great)... get the middle antenna (near-fringe), I think its around $59 & a simple power amplifier for like $12 should be right next to the antennas as well. Usually you have to get the pole & the hookup clamps seperate too for another $10-15. They sell them seperate because there are many ways you might mount it (roof peak, side of house, attic, etc...)

- Collapse -
Thanks!!!!

Yeah, I checked antennaweb and they said I need a small multi-directional. All main stations but one are between 19-20 miles from my house although I really think they are closer since I known the where abouts of the towers are in a suburb next to me. I would guess they are about 5-8 air-miles away but who cares, they are in range non-the-less.
Thanks so much for the advise I will run out to Lowe's tommorrow and pick up the goodsHappy

Thanks a million 3luke3 and sears_tv_guy for the help

CNET Forums

Forum Info