HolidayBuyer's Guide

TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

OTA HD and cable, too--help!

by DigitalDan2007 / March 14, 2007 12:29 PM PDT

I recently bought an lcd hd tv with 1 RF in. I want to watch both over-the-air HD and basic cable (no box). I connected both coax cables to an RF switcher, but when I switch from OTA HD to cable and back, it seems I must do a channel search each time. Is there an easier way for this vidiot to get want he wants? Thanks for any help you can give.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: OTA HD and cable, too--help!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: OTA HD and cable, too--help!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) you need a 'duplexer' cost about $20-30
by givemeaname / March 14, 2007 3:12 PM PDT
Collapse -
You need a duplexer
by DigitalDan2007 / March 15, 2007 6:26 AM PDT

Thanks, g. Is a duplexer the same as a diplexer?

Collapse -
Duplexers/diplexers
by DigitalDan2007 / March 19, 2007 1:11 PM PDT

THanks for the valuable info, givenmeaname!

Collapse -
DAN THE MAN GO FOR UPGRADING NOW
by stewart norrie / March 19, 2007 3:55 PM PDT

Ok my opinion only but cable sucks, Go for the dish network new 211 system, The add the hi-def package and VOOM for only $15.00 extra This package is out of this world discovery channel alone is worth the fee, then hook up your outside antenna to the box do a digital scan and all your local hi-def channels will go into the main menue last hook up a h.d.m.i. cable and you will be in heaven and to finish it out get yourself a nice 5.1. a/v/ set up and run optical audio from box to amp and dont forget the snack bar. You wont believe the wonderful programs via the dish really shows off your t.v. good luck steweee

Collapse -
SEE THIS SITE FOR OTA INFO...........
by Riverledge / March 20, 2007 8:42 AM PDT
http://www.antennaweb.org

CLICK on "Choose an antenna" (NOTHING to buy!)

Fill in geographic area questions, lists all OTA channels in your viewing area.

river.
Collapse -
I don't think so...
by mattkaulen / March 20, 2007 12:35 PM PDT

I had this same exact problem last month. I bought a Panny 50" plasma with only one RF input. Unless I missed something in my research, A duplexer or dixplexer is the same thing as a splitter. It is used to combine 2 coax cables outside your house to run the signals together, but YOU NEED TO RE-SPLIT THEM BEFORE YOUR TV. It will not work. You can run the cable to your VCR and then white/yellow/red cable that to your TV. The picture will suffer a little more, but its an option. I finally had enough and upgraded to a cable box with HDMI. I have to say the picture is much better. If you find something that works please post it...like I said maybe I missed something in all my research.
-Matt

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.