Question

OSX install to Mac Mini will not go past keyboard verify

Sep 26, 2012 9:18AM PDT

Hello to all that may be able to assist,

I am having a devil of a time trying to get OSX 10.4.7 (which I have the 2 start up disks for) on to my Mac Mini (late 2006 model: 166/2x256/60/combo/ap/bt). I only have a PC's USB mouse and keyboard to use with the system, which worked fine when an operating system was still on the computer.

I believe that one of my son's friends wiped the OS off of the hard drive by "accident". At least that's my best guess at the reason for this issue. But there may be some other underlying problem that I'm unaware of. I'm mainly a PC user and the only reason for getting an Apple/Mac was ease of use for my son. I came home to it not booting fully and prompting me as if it was factory fresh (but without an OS). I have looked online, tried several options and found nothing that helps.

Here's what I've tried so far:
1) When I first noticed the problem the computer would start up and go through the white background, then grey apple with loading "gear", to an animated multilingual welcome message, to a loading bar, and then to a screen that identified my non-Mac keyboard, then to Mac user id screen, to a file/partition transfer screen, and finally to another screen concerning my keyboard and country where it sits for hours if I let it.
2)First off I tried to start up in safe mode by holding the "shift" button. Nothing happened.
3) I tried repair disk by holding down the "command" and "R" buttons. Nothing happened.
4) I tried to use the start up manager to specify an OS by holding the "option" key. When the start up manager finally came up there was a picture of a HDD without an OS listed below, there was just the picture and an arrow below it.
5) At this point I thought that the OS was fairly well done for and decided to put the start up disks to use. As soon as the start up chime sounds I put in the disk and hold the "C" button, wait for the apple and gear, but before they come up the disc is ejected (I've tried both disks).

So now I'm down to resetting the NVRAM or PRRAM as the only other option that I can find on the web that sounds promising, however I'm not sure that option is best. I'm about at wit's end with this machine! Can anyone help?

Thanks,

Mac_Noobie

P.S. Sorry for the long explanation, but I was hoping to weed some of the simple answers.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: OSX install to Mac Mini will not go past keyboard verify
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: OSX install to Mac Mini will not go past keyboard verify
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Clarification Request
Put that DVD in first, before you shut down the machine
Sep 27, 2012 8:23AM PDT

Shut down,
Power on and
immediately hold down the Option Key.

From your description, you are putting the DVD in way too late for it to be seen by the system.

P

- Collapse -
Answer
Nice explanation.
Sep 26, 2012 9:23AM PDT
- Collapse -
Reply to R.Proffitt
Sep 26, 2012 11:58AM PDT

Yeah, I've already checked with apple and found out that it's not covered anymore. I have also checked with friends and neighbors and no one has any Apple/Mac keyboards (guess I forgot to mention a few things that I had done before posting this). If I had the cash, I would go out and get one but that's just not in the cards for now.

Does anyone know anything further?

- Collapse -
Sorry no.
Sep 27, 2012 3:12AM PDT

This new OS just came out so if anyone figures it out, I'm sure they'll post what they did. For example some figured out their Mac Pro needed a newer video card. In your case since it stopped on the keyboard, that's my cue to get an Apple keyboard.
Bob

- Collapse -
Keyboard
Oct 27, 2012 4:32AM PDT

Well, after some time now, I was able to get a Mac keyboard.... This @*#$^%$ computer is still stopping on the keyboard screen. Is there any option other than lighting this thing on fire? Would a complete wipe of the hard drive make a difference? I'm sooooo done with Apple/Mac! ^&@%#$*@^#%$*&%@#$*^@#$^%@#^%$ UGH!!!!!!!!

- Collapse -
I can't tell if you did any more searches.
Oct 28, 2012 3:39AM PDT

The same thing happens on a nice laptop I own. It came with Vista and I thought I'd install 7. No way. Tried a lot of things and a look around the internet found no one found a way.

Why not drive a drive wipe?
Bob

CNET Forums

Forum Info