Mac Hardware forum

General discussion

OSX for existing Widows Machines.

A smart move for Apple would be to offer a version of OSX that can be installed on and dual booted with Windows machines. I'm a Windows user and while I will never buy a whole new machine from Apple (I have too much invested in Windows) I would definitely buy a version of OSX that could be dual booted with Windows if it cost less than $200.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: OSX for existing Widows Machines.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: OSX for existing Widows Machines.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Not really smart

In reply to: OSX for existing Widows Machines.

Apple is a hardware manufacturer. What profit is there in allowing you to install OS X on to a machine that you did not buy from Apple?
The new Intel driven Macs will run Windows as well as Mac OS X, dual boot, so your statement may not be true.
OSX currently costs a lot less that $200

P

Collapse -
I'll tell you why

In reply to: Not really smart

As I said, I'm a Windows user who is never going to spring for an Apple but I would buy the OS to load on my machine. I personaly know for a fact that there are a lot of others like my self. If you expand that you could get millions of sales. Now if OSX is as good as everyone says it is people will start buying OSX compatable software. When it comes time to buy a new machine which one will they buy? I think most will buy Apple. $200 would be fair since you haven't made a previous purchase of an Apple Machine.

Collapse -
Huh?

In reply to: I'll tell you why

OS X is as good as everyone says it is.
One of the reasons that it is so good is that it is designed and built to take advantage of the environment in which it is operating. The Computer built by Apple. The Computer, on the other hand, is designed to take advantage of the OS. So, everything is working together. You must have heard the expression "it just works". Did you ever stop to wonder why? Why is Plug and Play on a Win box referred to as Plug and Pray?? Ever wonder that? The Intel powered machines will be built by Apple, to very strict standards. Something we cannot say about all Win Boxes.
As a Windows user who is never going to spring for an Apple, you actually mean Mac, I guess you will just have to put up with the mediocrity that you have become used to. This is your loss.
I don't understand the $200 thing. Are you saying that because you decide to buy a new machine and because you have never owned a Mac or used OS X, that Apple should provide you with a computer for $200?
That's what it seems like. I wonder if Rolls Royce will give me a deal on a new Roller because I have decided I want one and I have never had one before.
Once again, Apple is a HARDWARE company and selling OS X that runs on any, and every, x86 box, regardless of quality, is NOT the way to make money, selling the hardware is what puts $$$ in pockets. Look at the iPod. The money is made there, not at the iTunes Music Store, although it is now turning a profit.

BTW, with OS X you get a system wide spell checker and dictionary, even when posting to forums like this.

Must go now, people in the real world are calling me

P

Collapse -
Rolls Royce

In reply to: Huh?

Rolls wouldnt give you a deal on a car, but Rolls Royce makes the majority of its money building engines, if you know anything about the company. Just like most of the big name car makers who are know for there quality (i.e. Saab, Benz, Volvo, etc.) So using your example it makes even more sense to do just that.

Collapse -
I too

In reply to: Rolls Royce

MrM is wrong, but I see his point. Apple would make lots of cash selling the OSX to x86 box owners. I would by it like Jeep said. I am a media production major and in school for video we use AVID on windows workstations, but for graphics for the video I use the MAC lab, If I could just simply restart it would save me a heck of a lot of trouble. Then again MrM is right on the fact that apple would have to put it's name on a potentially crap built computer, and OSX could end up loosing some of it's appeal when the masses computers suck and they blame apple. Still I think it would be a great thing to have another major OS option besides my Linux box that skinned to look like a MAC to fool my art buddies.

Collapse -
Apple is arrogant!

In reply to: Huh?

Apple should have dropped it's arrogant strategy years ago, then maybe they wouldn't have had all the problems they've had in the past. What they really should do, if you say they are a hardware company, is to make it so that Windows programs can run on Macs. That would really make them more commercially viable. Their strategy so far has gotten them what, 5 percent of the market, LOL! They're all about R&D and innovation, but they lost the market share war big time! I've had an Ipod and an Ibook and I was not impressed in the least! The Ipod battery couldn't even be replaced until recently, and now it costs big bucks to replace it. The Ibook was much slower for the money than a Windows laptop. So, maybe owning a Mac is one of the few ways some people can think they're better than everyone else, but it's just not working for Apple. Well, except for boosting Steve's monstrous ego, that is, LOL!

Collapse -
LOL!?

In reply to: Apple is arrogant!

When you say "all the problems they've had in the past" I'm not sure what you mean, please be more specific. Every company has problems, but I can't think of any Apple had that came from having an "arrogant strategy".

Also, you say...
"Their strategy so far has gotten them what, 5 percent of the market, LOL! They're all about R&D and innovation, but they lost the market share war big time!"

I'm wondering how you came to that number. Statistics taken out of context can be very decieving.
Overall market share covers large market segments where Apple isn?t competing ? including markets where Apple doesn?t want to compete. Fifteen or 20 years ago, personal computers were generally only purchased and used by people who were ?into? computers. Today, however, many computers are purchased for use as generic business machines, modern-day typewriters and adding machines.

Collapse -
I agree with tbcass

I am another person that would purchase there operating system to dual boot. And I know many many people who would also. I'm in the tech field and that idea is talked about all the time. My work calls for windows, but with most of my personal pursuits OSX would be my system of chose. Having the ability to use both without purchasing two computers would be an extremely useful option, especially on a laptop when traveling. You could do business related work on windows, and do creative personal work on OSX. This would not hurt Apples hardware business, because it would bring on board those who use Windows out of neccesity, but prefer Apples software. May even boost sales of there hardware, when a person finds themself using there software more often. Hardware has a short shelf life, so the person would be in the market for a new computer soon, and would possibly choose to buy an Apple.

Collapse -
Mac on windows

In reply to: I agree with tbcass

I ca'nt understand the fascination that occurs with many people,Mac owners buy Windows for the Mac,now it seems people want to buy Mac for windows.
The only advantage I can see,some graphic design firms have to go back & forth,but myself I like the Apple Works program & would not buy the Windows for Mac,but I suppose everybody has their choice.

Collapse -
In your case

In reply to: I agree with tbcass

Maybe you should be looking at a Mac and run Virtual PC on it. That would give the OS X, and any, or all, flavors of Windows and Linux: All running at the same time!
Then you could have everything you want in one machine

Just a thought

P

Collapse -
me too

I would also purchase Apple's OS if it were to be offered for use on a PC. I own both Mac and PC.

Collapse -
Selling OS-X for non-Apple Branded hdw may not be legal

In reply to: Not really smart

I suspect the true reason that Apple won't market OS-X for existing Windows machines is they legally can't. It's easy to forget that Apple doesn't own the OS loaded on it's machines, its a licensed copy of UNIX. Apple modifies and adds a GUI to the distribution they use, but they don't own it. Their license agreement may proclude Apple from selling OS-X (UNIX) for non-Apple branded hardware. The cost of changing the licensing agreement would probably end up just transferring the bulk of profits back to the company that does own the distrubition of UNIX Apple uses.

Gates was right, like it or not, software is where the real money is, not hardware.

Collapse -
Legal, but..

In reply to: Selling OS-X for non-Apple Branded hdw may not be legal

If I'm not mistaken, the Mac OSX is based on the Berkeley Software Distribution (BSD) Unix, which is a open source version with few licensing restrictions. There would be no legal restrictions on selling a version adapted for other Intel based computers.

However, knowing Apple, I suspect they will put some special chip in their upcoming Intel Macs that their new version of OS-X (let's call it "OSXi") will require, just so it won't run on "non-Apple" computers.

Then, of course, hackers will figure out a way around that restriction, and Apple will end up as a "mostly software" company like Microsoft, just much smaller.

Collapse -
This will never happen. Here's why.

"Windows" machines are wildly out of control as to what video card, sound and other parts are in the system.

Will 200 bucks get you an OS for your hardware?

(No)

-> Look at the current state of affairs in the Windows world. How many really can reload Windows proper?

Let me pick up 10 volunteers off the street and what would be your guess at how many would know to fetch and install all those drivers Microsoft doesn't grab for us?

My bet (on a good day) would be that 1 person out of 10 might get it right.

Bob

Collapse -
How true

In reply to: This will never happen. Here's why.

I think the $200 was for the machine!!!!!

Collapse -
Apple is Too Dumb?

In reply to: This will never happen. Here's why.

Almost anyone can load Windows on a generic PC. That's why Microsoft has the market share they do. Even Linux might install -- that's the real struggle re drivers.

(I was "raised Mac" but once I had to buy my own equipment, and saw the premium charged, I left and never came back. Won't either.)

The actual answer boils down to two possible answers:

1) Apple has a lot of money invested im manufacturing and doesn't want to cannibalize the factories by selling flexible software (like Microsoft does.)

2) Apple is too dumb/lazy to actually develop the software.

Collapse -
My experience is the opposite.

In reply to: Apple is Too Dumb?

Today, it's the rare sight to find a proper Windows install. Noboday gets the motherboard and all the drivers. Even less on a laptop.

Fast forward to Suse 9.3 and the drivers that are on the CD/DVD is amazing. Not much doesn't work except for some WinModems.

Bob

Collapse -
How Strange

In reply to: Apple is Too Dumb?

1. Apple is a Hardware company that also writes and sells the OS to run on their machines.
Why would they produce an OS that will run on any old junk box built from spare parts in someones garage? How would they continue to maintain the high standard of "it just works" when they have no control over the parts used.
Microsoft does not sell "flexible" software, whatever that is. Their software is just as proprietary as the next OS manufactures and besides, Microsoft is not a hardware manufacturer.
2. What a ridiculous statement. Apple has already produced the software to run on an x86 processor, read the thread, and this software also runs on the PPC processor from IBM. Now I think I would describe that as flexible.
A shame that once you had to purchase your own stuff, you settled for the mediocre.

Your whole post is academic, given that you will not be buying a Mac, ever.

thanks for the laugh

P

Collapse -
Steve knows...

In reply to: How Strange

According to the rumor sites, (who have been very accurate of late) Windows boots on the new mac hardware, with a screen resolution problem as the only glitch found. However, there is a chip on the motherboard (a dongle) that OSX must handshake with in order to boot. This is to keep the Mac OS on Apple hardware.

Result? There will be only one hardware vendor making boxes with the ability to run Windows, Unix and OSX. Apple. If that doesn't make the box worth paying more for, and at the same time more cost effective for many, what will? I'll bet 2 hard drive boxes are standard right from the giddy-up. Won't it be easy to compare OS's then?

By the way, I think tbcass was saying he'd pay $200 for the OS to make up for not buying the hardware. I think Apple's margins are more than that, but it was nice of him to offer, wasn't it?

Lampie

Collapse -
That's bad. Very bad.

In reply to: Steve knows...

Dongles are savaged in the wild and if this is true, my prediction is you'll see it cracked in 30 days after release. It's too big a target with too much at stake.

Bob

Collapse -
When Yer Right Yer Right

In reply to: That's bad. Very bad.

Any lock can be picked.
I can also move MP-3 files from my i-Pod to my i-Tunes library (don't tell anyone). The general public however, will (and does) jump through the politicaly correct, registered, Apple-care supported hoops.
Some because they believe that putting a file back onto the hard drive you got it from is stealing.
Some because they would be SO EMBARRASSED if they got caught,
Some because they don't have the technical skill,
And of course, some, because they have better things to do with their time.
Even with peer to peer running rampant and free, the i-Tunes store is, I am told, a huge profitable success.

You and I will be able to get around the dongle, but he won't, and he won't, and she won't. Well, she might, Happy

Lampie

Collapse -
Important Distinction

In reply to: That's bad. Very bad.

The dongles can only be beat on "existing Widows" machines. Women who loose their husbands after purchasing an intel Mac, or who kill their husbands in order to run Mac software on his PC, are not supported in this release. This is a known issue.

Lampie (the Clown)

Collapse -
Steve Jobs will never allow it

Recently, when Apple announced switching to Intel processors, Steve Jobs stated the OS X will never be allowed to run on anything but a Macintosh. I read it as no ifs, ands, or buts about it. So you can give up that pipe dream, at least till Steve's successor takes over somewhere down the line.

Collapse -
Apple & Intel

First, Apple is going to use Intel CPU's, but they are not building the same traditional IBM PC as you use. Most likely, they will not use a bios chip that can reverse engineered/cloned as IBM did. Selling OS X for other hardware does nothing for Apples market share, that's why Steve Jobs stopped allowing Mac to be cloned. All the cloners did is sell machines to mac users, and not expand Mac users. If you really want a superior OS, you'll buy a Mac no matter what type of CPU is in the box.

Collapse -
Mac pc

You say you'd like a Pc that runs the mac platform? How about a mac that has been running windows for some 5 years that I know of? Some 5 years ago I bought a G4 powerpc (400Mhz the one they call the sawtooth model) the first thing I found out after buying it was that there was a program available called 'Virtual PC' that set up a separate partition on the Mac hard drive that allowed me to run a copy of windows 98 on it which allowed me to run ANY windows programing on it. It even allowed me to go from the mac OS to windows and back again whenever I wanted to. With a few upgrades on the Mac I was able to run almost any programing available today, and some of that programing completely blows away anything running on windows. Today that computor isn't the fastest one around but it does almost anything I'd want it to do as quick as I need it to.

Collapse -
Guess what...

In reply to: Mac pc

Virtual PC was developed by Connectix, and Connectix was recently purchased by...
are you ready for this...

Microsoft!

There is now a version of Virtual PC that runs multiple operating systems on a single PC, simultaneously. (Not suprisingly, it seems to prefer Microsoft OS's from DOS to XP)

They may even be working on a special version of Virtual PC for the upcoming Intel Macs.

Collapse -
Its being done

Collapse -
What a waste of time

In reply to: Its being done

This emulator is stuck back in the dark ages and, apart from the novelty value, is about as much use as a two legged milking stool.
It does not appear to have been updated since 2001 and the latest OS that it will run is OS 8.1.
The processor it emulates is the Motorola family of 680xx which has not been used by Apple for a very long time.
This is not what this discussion was about. This emulator does not even come close to being useful for anything but playing.
Wheel on the emulator that runs OS 10.4.1 and we might be talking business.

P

Collapse -
Most waste. Lookup CherryOS and PearOS.

In reply to: What a waste of time

Your wish is now granted.

Bob

Collapse -
Not quite

In reply to: Most waste. Lookup CherryOS and PearOS.

It's a good start but not ready for Mr & Mrs America. CherryOS was a blatant ripoff from PearOS which also has it problems. I would put it in the same area as Linux. It may achieve what you are after, OS X on x86, but is very high maintenance and as such will probably to regarded by the average Windows user as a "Geek" toy. (No offense intended)
There have been a number of attempts to produce a Mac emulator but none have really achieved the sophistication that Connectix achieved with Virtual PC for Mac and it's emulation of the X86 processor.

P

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.