Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Osama tape from yesterday

by TONI H / October 30, 2004 2:58 AM PDT

Wondering like others what the timing on this might mean since it's come so close to the election date here......however, quite a few on tv seem to believe the timing isn't to sway the election, but rather a warning to instill fear that it won't matter who is elected.

I'm wondering if the timing was deliberate as a 'code' to all radicals that just because Arafat is a babbling looney and probably won't get healthy enough to lead anymore that doesn't mean there isn't a 'leader' and the 'cause' goes on.

TONI

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Osama tape from yesterday
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Osama tape from yesterday
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Arafat is a babbling looney and probably won't get healthy
by jonah jones / October 30, 2004 3:07 AM PDT

enough to lead anymore that doesn't mean there isn't a 'leader' and the 'cause' goes on.

according to the 6:00PM news french doctors have said "we can't help you mr arafat, best you go home and rest" and israel has said "we have no objections"...

Collapse -
Re: Osama tape from yesterday
by EdH / October 30, 2004 4:24 AM PDT

I think it is a clumsy attempt to influence the election and hurt Bush. I don't think these guys are half as smart as they've been painted to be, and I think they're shooting blanks. If they had a massive attack planned they would not announce it in any way; they'd just do it.

They have been seriously degraded and I think all they have left is scare tactics. They think we'll react like Spain did.

Anyway, I hope I'm right. We don't need another 9/11 or worse. And woe to the Muslim world if they do it again. I think we've been fairly reasonable up to now but the anger would be awesome and uncontrollable.

Collapse -
Agreed
by dirtyrich / October 30, 2004 9:47 AM PDT

Al Queda has already shown their preferential method for influencing elections. They can't strike at us (how many terrorist attacks have their been inside the US since 9/11?), so they've resorted to lobbing a PR grenade at us. They're (hopefully) impotent.

Collapse -
by David Evans / October 30, 2004 5:02 AM PDT

You're right, the subhuman cause will continue until we kill all of them.

As to the tape, it's kind of like Hanoi John going "Waaaaaa, President Bush, make the Swift Boat vets stop telling the truth about me!" It's a sign of weakness. I say that because he whines about "muslim security" lol, as if that's something we should respect.

A second aspect about the tape: it's a weak attempt by one of the subhumans to hurt President Bush and get Kerry elected. Which has the opposite effect. He should have taken his own advice: if he wants muslim security he shouldn't have attacked us. Too late now though, he's crossed the Rubicon and his fate is sealed.

It's kind of like bin Laden is the Dan Rather / Mark Halperin of the subhuman world. Think about it:

1. If bin Laden wants President Bush defeated, we should make sure he's elected to shove bin Laden's face into a big pile of pig doodoo.

2. If, as some anti-Americans say, bin Laden wants Bush re-elected in order to aid in recruitment of more subhumans for his satanic cause, we should make sure that President Bush is elected in order to gather more subhumans together into one spot so we can kill them more efficiently, which President Bush will most certainly do with great enthusiasm and vigor. Kerry, on the other hand, would be flip flopping the "internationalist" way, working on a "Global Test," and making sure that US forces were dispersed through the world only at the directive of the United Nations. So again, if that's the case we should then re-elect President Bush to shove bin Laden's face into a big pile of pig doodoo.

DE

Collapse -
Re: Osama tape from yesterday- DE
by Bob / October 30, 2004 6:58 AM PDT

I yield to your knowledge of "subhumans" and certainly would not get into a name-calling contest with you.

Collapse -
Re: Osama tape from yesterday- DE
by Mark5019 / October 30, 2004 7:11 AM PDT

bobby what else are the do you say they are your equals?
i think im better than any of them, of course i dont go around beheading inocents.

but let them try again and i would like to see use of a greater mass weapon used over there and screw pc and if you dont like me now i really dont give a hoot.

ive said from the start better them then us better there then here so be it lets hope my way never needs to be used

Collapse -
Apparently Al Qaeda wants to influence the election
by Ziks511 / October 30, 2004 5:49 AM PDT

and seems to prefer Bush. After all we're always being told the American people trust Bush on terrorism, and they did bomb that train in Spain (mainly on the plain?) just 4 days before their election.

Don't let Al Qaeda win !!!

Rob Boyter

Collapse -
Re: Apparently Al Qaeda wants to influence the election
by EdH / October 30, 2004 7:18 AM PDT

How on Earth can you say he prefers Bush when the statement was full of anti-Bush rhetoric?

Collapse -
Fear policy...
by Charlie Thunell PL&T / October 30, 2004 7:35 AM PDT

Yes, the statement was full of anti-Bush comments. And who does it benefit? It benefits the candidate who is trying to scare the **** out of the American people by talking about the constant threats that the country is suffering from (despite that US and the World is safer without Saddam...). The fear policy is very effective. And the fear policy is the one gaining from the statemnts made by bin Laden!

Collapse -
It means Osama has endorsed Kerry. Only Kerry will
by Kiddpeat / October 30, 2004 7:46 AM PDT

negotiate with him. He thinks Americans are like Clinton and Kerry. They'll backoff and run when threatened. Peace in this generation.

Collapse -
Right. Fight fire with fire.
by W2X3XP / October 30, 2004 7:57 AM PDT

And "He who lives by the sword ....." uh no, that's not a good one.

"Violence only begets ....." uh no, that's not a good one either.

Oh I know. "And eye for an eye!"

Then everyone, not only Justice, will be blind.

Happy

Collapse -
Re: Right. Fight fire with fire.
by Mark5019 / October 30, 2004 9:54 AM PDT

and better them then us

Collapse -
by C1ay / October 30, 2004 8:13 AM PDT

I think OBL is probably smarter than many give him credit for. He probably realized that an attack on or near election day could reinvigorate the level of american patriotism that existed right after 9/11 and might get Bush reelected where a suggestive tape might throw the election the other way. For me his lecture reminded me why I don't want a war protestor leading the war on terror.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!