Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Osama dead? Local news flash only

by Steven Haninger / May 1, 2011 6:46 PM PDT
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Osama dead? Local news flash only
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Osama dead? Local news flash only
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
BBC News as well
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / May 1, 2011 6:54 PM PDT
Al-Qaeda leader Osama Bin Laden has been killed by US forces in Pakistan, President Barack Obama has said.

Excellent news.

Mark
Collapse -
More..
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / May 1, 2011 7:10 PM PDT
In reply to: BBC News as well

from BBC Radio news.

US Special Forces stormed a heavily fortified compound just outside Islamabad, the Pakistan Capital City!

The compound is in Abbottabad - "an affluent Pakistani town, a major military garrison, near the capital Islamabad".

The fierce fire-fight took about 40 minutes and Bin Laden's son was also killed.

Mark

Collapse -
The Obama announcement speech
by Steven Haninger / May 1, 2011 8:06 PM PDT
In reply to: More..

is readily available on the web. It's, IMO, a very good one. I'm suspecting he had plenty of time to prepare it. That his body was buried at sea will probably cause a lot of doubt. I suspect there are plenty of gruesome photos documenting the entire process. These won't and cannot be released for now, I suspect. It will be too emotional for too many parties. The burial at sea makes sense in that there won't be a known site acting as a magnet. Well, let the spin begin....

Collapse -
Remember those oh, so attractive photos of Che Guevara
by Ziks511 / May 1, 2011 10:39 PM PDT

but at least they won't have a martyrs shrine to visit. I think that's the best disposition his body could have, as food for the fishes.

There is so little rationality in the Middle East, and such an avid desire for rumour and conspiracy that I'm sure there's somebody somewhere who thinks the Ayatollah Khomeini is still alive.

Now all we have to deal with are the others seeking to take his place.

Thank heaven the b@st@rd's dead.
Rob

Collapse -
(NT) They still believe Mohamed is alive
by James Denison / May 2, 2011 1:11 PM PDT
Collapse -
Who does? Who is they? Or is this just more Islam baiting?
by Ziks511 / May 3, 2011 6:47 AM PDT

We believe Jesus lives in the hearts of believing Christians, I'm sure Mohamedans believe that Mohamed lives in the hearts of believing Muslims. But cite your source. Who precisely says that Mohamed lives? And remember that Christians, Jews, and Muslims all believe in the same God. Jews don't acknowledge Christ as the Messiah, but Muslims acknowledge him as a great Prophet, they just believe that Mohamed supercedes him or is the last word on belief.

And let's look at the record, Christianity was initially spread by the word, but was later spread by the sword. Islam was initially spread by the word but that was overtaken in about 100 years by spresding faith by the sword. Christians and Muslims warred until the 18th Century in Europe. I cannot speak about Africa since I don't know enough about the history of Islamicization there.

At some times, and in some places Islam while the ruling faith permitted the worship of Christians and Jews as in Islamic Spain, Morocco, Sicily, Palestine and Egypt, for centuries at a time. There is only one faith with clean hands and that is Judaism until roughly 1930 and it's got a lot of wading to do until it comes close to the two other faiths. But Christians have fought one another up until the modern day. The breakup of Yugoslavia included war between Serbs and Croats the only difference being that Serbs are orthodox and Croats are Catholics. Then of course the Serbs decided to pick on the Muslims too, with Croat complicity in that attempted genocide.

The first thing an idea does is pick up a sword or a gun to try to prove the unprovable, it's superiority over other ideas. Ask the Founding Fathers. That is neither a slur, nor an anti-American sentiment, it is a simple fact.

Rob

Collapse -
common knowledge

Study. Here's a clue. Why does the Al Aqsa Mosque exist? What does it commemorate?

Collapse -
Here's more than a clue
by Josh K / May 3, 2011 11:09 PM PDT
In reply to: common knowledge
Collapse -
You didn't answer my question
by James Denison / May 4, 2011 12:09 AM PDT

All you did was show a cleric who disagrees with others.

Collapse -
No, I showed you....
by Josh K / May 4, 2011 12:34 AM PDT

.....that you were incorrect. Show me YOUR source of this information.

Collapse -
Why R U so wrong so often? Here, your homework done for U.
by James Denison / May 4, 2011 1:16 AM PDT
In reply to: No, I showed you....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al-Aqsa_Mosque
Masjid al-Aqsa translates from Arabic into English as "the farthest mosque", Its name refers to a chapter of the Qur'an called "The Night Journey" in which it is said that Muhammad traveled from Mecca to "the farthest mosque", and then up to Heaven on a heavenly creature called al-Buraq al-Sharif.[6][7]
==============================

It wasn't enough for Ziks to embarass himself, you had to do it also?!
Collapse -
Uh-huh
by Josh K / May 4, 2011 1:30 AM PDT

Now show me where Islam teaches that Mohammed is still alive, because nothing in your link says or suggests that.

Collapse -
It's there. Be blind.

"There are none so blind as those who refuse to see"

Collapse -
Even if it was, so what?
by Josh K / May 4, 2011 2:22 AM PDT

Christians believe Jesus rose from the dead.

Collapse -
Well if he is, he's going to be "very" old.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / May 3, 2011 11:23 PM PDT

That would make him about 1500 years old. Some going!

Mark

Collapse -
Mosque is down the road from Ground Zero.
by JP Bill / May 3, 2011 11:29 PM PDT

Since you think the Mosque denigrates Ground Zero

When Obama is in NY at Ground Zero (down the road from the Mosque) commemorating the death of OBL, will that denigrate the Mosque?

My symbol trumps (not Donald) your symbol.

One-upmanship?

Collapse -
(NT) Nothing you said makes any sense
by James Denison / May 4, 2011 1:13 AM PDT
Collapse -
ok, lets take it 1 step at a time
by JP Bill / May 4, 2011 1:36 AM PDT
You think the Mosque denigrates Ground Zero

Yes or No?
Collapse -
Which is greater? The Mosque, or Ground Zero?
by James Denison / May 4, 2011 5:18 AM PDT

The Greater rules the Lesser.

Collapse -
so many historical errors

So many errors in what you posted. I'm not your teacher. Go find some history books and read them on start of Islam, since that seems to be the worst of your errors. The sword started with Mohammed, not some 100 years later. Pay no attention to Africa, certainly Islam didn't start there. </sarcasm>. Christians didn't use swords, but Constantine did first on their behalf, 300 years after Christ. Study up on taqiyah taxations, basically a tax against other religions by Islam. Would it be OK if we Conservatives tax Liberals in the same manner? As for Judaism, everytime their Talmud was translated, pogroms followed. Even Jesus was against the Talmud or "Tradition of the Fathers" as it was known in his day "teaching for doctrines, the commandments of men". If you read first century Judaism, and I mean even separate from the Jesus angle, you realize they pretty much brought destruction upon themselves, even had chances to avoid it, but turned on each other in violence before being decimated and scattered by the Romans.

Collapse -
Big yup!
by Willy / May 1, 2011 11:18 PM PDT

Burial at sea is so there can be no martyrdom or attest to his location. The SF operation was no doubt somehow made aware of the importance of this mission it did record it. No matter how this plays out, its not over from a long shot. -----Willy Happy <----- that's a real grin

Collapse -
I note your emphasis. It's a slippery world
by drpruner / May 2, 2011 3:52 AM PDT

for those who are part of it.

Collapse -
Firefight over quickly, the rest of the time spent hunting
by Ziks511 / May 2, 2011 4:42 AM PDT

for evidence pulling hard drives out of the computers and ransacking the place. Some of bin Laden's guards grabbed a woman to try to shield bin Laden, but all were cut down. Bin Laden was asked to surrender but he fired a weapon at the Seals who shot him in the head, with a second round to make sure.

Rob.

Collapse -
good news
by airsidelimo / May 2, 2011 4:53 PM PDT
In reply to: BBC News as well

its a good news if indeed he was a terrorist.
thanks
-:suha

Collapse -
(NT) "IF??????"
by Josh K / May 2, 2011 10:48 PM PDT
In reply to: good news
Collapse -
True?
by Antonio-Carlos / May 3, 2011 10:34 AM PDT
In reply to: good news
Collapse -
True?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / May 3, 2011 11:32 PM PDT
In reply to: True?

or not?

I'm guessing it is not!

Mark

Collapse -
Lets hope there was no error in identification
by Bill Osler / May 1, 2011 7:47 PM PDT

I don't think there is any way we could have DNA proof this fast. I hope the 'facial recognition' process was foolproof.

Collapse -
Seeing the post above
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / May 1, 2011 10:38 PM PDT

from Steven about the burial at sea, suggests any further speculation about his identity will be pointless. But knowing bin Laden had health problems I wouldn't mind betting that a post mortem was carried out before they disposed of it. If so, there should have been plenty of clues.

Mark

Collapse -
CNN just announced DNA match confirmed
by Josh K / May 2, 2011 1:24 AM PDT

I'm not typically one to celebrate the death of a human being, but I'll make an exception this time. There are people celebrating in the streets here in NYC. This is the best news many of us have had in nearly 10 years.

Note to Donald Trump: Now you know what Obama meant when he said he had more important things to do.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?